British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Ipswich Play Off Semi 1st leg. 23/9/19

25 minutes ago, semion said:

Massive choke in the 2nd half of  the meeting, by Ipswich. Then again for balance Poole choked it in the first half, otherwise how do you explain that massive advantage Ipswich enjoyed ?

Do you think the occasion got to Poole Forever ?

Poole didn't choke otherwise we would have lost. No wasn't the occasion we shouldn't fear Ipswich but they adapted to conditions better than us which is quite common when they are different from usual for the home team. 

3 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Doesn’t that = complacent?

Not necessarily. I can’t believe any team would become complacent in the first meeting of a two legged tie, you just have to keep at it for every heat. But sometimes speedway riders aren’t the cleverest. 

35 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Poole didn't choke otherwise we would have lost. No wasn't the occasion we shouldn't fear Ipswich but they adapted to conditions better than us which is quite common when they are different from usual for the home team. 

His definition on choking changes depending on what Poole do ;)

When watching it back it was the smug smirks on the faces of Hawkins and Louis during the first 8 heats that made me smile

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

As it was said by Allen and King, rain equals away team advantage. Harris said rain equals no home advantage and Klindt said when it rain the away team always have an advantage. My guess is the usual setups are gone and home riders never feel as secure as normal.

• Like 1

Just now, Steve Shovlar said:

As it was said by Allen and King, rain equals away team advantage. Harris said rain equals no home advantage and Klindt said when it rain the away team always have an advantage. My guess is the usual setups are gone and home riders never feel as secure as normal.

I agree, rain and heavy track conditions always take away home advantage and favour the away team.

4 hours ago, BobC said:

So funny reading this thread.

When Ipswich were mauling Poole,it was a great meeting,yet largely gate n go. Poole start winning races and suddenly its  poor meeting with all the gate n go!

Me thinks a few folk starting gloating a little prematurely!

The whole meeting was gate and go bar Harris,and Iversen in the first.That's about it really.Skidder laughed at my original post but i felt it was pretty spot on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Not necessarily. I can’t believe any team would become complacent in the first meeting of a two legged tie, you just have to keep at it for every heat. But sometimes speedway riders aren’t the cleverest. 

Complacent - they thought job done with 8 heats to go. Agree, many riders not the most intellectual - but anyone that rides a Speedway bike must have rare nuts. 

cant see how people can say nigel and kelvin are bias towards us I thought there comments were pretty fair

10 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

When watching it back it was the smug smirks on the faces of Hawkins and Louis during the first 8 heats that made me smile

You'd know all about smugness :D

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, ray c said:

cant see how people can say nigel and kelvin are bias towards us I thought there comments were pretty fair

I haven't watched it on tv yet but usually I think they are fair, some people just think refs, commentators and pundits are all biased towards Poole. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

I haven't watched it on tv yet but usually I think they are fair, some people just think refs, commentators and pundits are all biased towards Poole. 

yes I think its just a poole thing mind you if the speedway goes to Eurosport we might end up with ermolenko and I know who I prefer 

First half of the meeting was pretty good when Poolle was getting thrashed at home.......... second half was a bit off though. :D

On 9/26/2019 at 10:47 PM, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

It would've been easy for them to have thrown in the towel - instead they came out swinging

No wonder Poole get decent crowds if theres swinging on offer   maybe Debbs will start a thread about this as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, foreverblue said:

It might be because they got a little excited when the comeback was happening. But I think it was more of a case of wanting a close meeting!