British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Tai Woffinden book at £8.99

Is it worth a read?

I paid £4.98 for my copy from Amazon. £8.99 less £5 promotion for buying a week's prime for £0.99.

No copies in Sainsbury's in Carlisle, but copies available in Asda for £9.

I've read through the first half of the book so far and at £9 it is reasonable value for money, but I would have been more reticent if asked to pay the full cover price.

Tbh no hardback books are any value at full cover price.

They are given an inflated starting price just so that they can be discounted by up to £10 at the major retailers like Smiths, Sainsbury's etc.

I just hope that those spending £15 in Cardiff may be comforted by the hope that at least some of their overspend may have actually made its way to Tai ?

Or is that too much to hope ?

Edited by Grand Central

18 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

They are given an inflated starting price just so that they can be discounted by up to £10 at the major retailers like Smiths, Sainsbury's etc.

I just hope that those spending £15 in Cardiff may be comforted by the hope that at least some of their overspend may have actually made its way to Tai ?

He was probably given an advance by the publisher first that's normally how it works, I don't suppose any newspapers will be queuing up to serialise it as that's usually another way of making money on a book 

Got it from Amazon for £8.99 including free prime for a month and next day delivery. As someone has said no books are worth their cover price though. So for £8.99 should be ok

11 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Is it worth a read?

Take 8.99  and throw it in the bin . the hours you will save reading Woffindens $hit , can then be invested in a railway layout .

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Grand Central said:

It was £8.99 in W H Smith Cardiff

10 hours ago, adonis said:

Take 8.99  and throw it in the bin . the hours you will save reading Woffindens $hit , can then be invested in a railway layout .

Any basic reason please for the comment on what many Posters on here tend to regard as something of a speedway epic?

I did try to buy a copy in Sainsburys, Penge, south London. A person who I presume looks after the books, magazines, newspaper section appeared puzzled when I asked about the book.

1 minute ago, gustix said:

Any basic reason please for the comment on what many Posters on here tend to regard as something of a speedway epic?

I did try to buy a copy in Sainsburys, Penge, south London. A person who I presume looks after the books, magazines, newspaper section appeared puzzled when I asked about the book.

Yes ,Woffinden is a self promoting arrogant little know it all , and his book will be full of his I'm better than everybody else .I know everything better than everybody else ., If you want to waste £8.99 of your pension on that .get yourself down WH.Smiths this morning .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, gustix said:

34 minutes ago, adonis said:

Yes ,Woffinden is a self promoting arrogant little know it all , and his book will be full of his I'm better than everybody else .I know everything better than everybody else ., If you want to waste £8.99 of your pension on that .get yourself down WH.Smiths this morning .

Many thanks adonis. Based on your advice I will use the money to have lunch out instead.

Edited by Guest