British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Tai Woffinden book at £8.99

17 hours ago, George Dodds said:

I have you admire your advanced sense of irony bearing in mind the avatar you choose

Ahh but did I  ,

To get the topic back on track, I went out and bought a copy of the book on Friday evening in Asda in Carlisle (cost £9). Surprisingly it was in the best selling book lists; perhaps due to advance sales.

After reading the book cover to cover, I found the opening three or four chapters interesting,  but my interest started to wane with the meeting by meeting account of the 2013 World Championship win. Later on, the book picked up, as he discussed his working relationship with Peter Adams and his approach to representing 'Team GB.'

Others may think differently; either it is very good or a pile of rubbish, but at least do so from the objective position of having read some of the book!

I'm also halfway through Tai's book, enjoying it so far.  Also £9 from Asda, a pesent as it was my birthday yesterday (happy birthday to me), some may feel the 'extra 1p' worth it as there is a 50p piece-size sticker on the cover: "Exclusive to ASDA, Tai's Speedway Dream Team".  The choice as ever is with the consumer: if interested in Tai's career maybe give it a read, if not just leave it...

I visited WHS branches in Beckenham and Bromley today. Neither had the book in stock and staff at both looked quizzical when I asked about it.

In Beckenham I explained to a young lady staff member he was a three times Grand Prix winner. She smiled knowingly and commented, "You mean Lewis Hamilton!"

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, gustix said:

I visited WHS branches in Beckenham and Bromley today. Neither had the book in stock and staff at both looked quizzical when I asked about it.

In Beckenham I explained to a young lady staff member he was a three times Grand Prix winner. She smiled knowingly and commented, "You mean Lewis Hamilton!"

If this ludicrous story is even half true you need your head examined for even asking.  

They probably thought you were a patient from Bethlem Hospital on day release.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, gustix said:

He isn't a three times Grand Prix winner.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gustix said:

Plenty of riders, drivers, tennis players, snooker players, darts players and showjumpers have won three Grand Prix in their chosen sports.. 

And Lewis Hamilton has won many, many more than three..

You need to go back and tell her.. 

This young lady will feel foolish I am sure.. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, gustix said:

I see now where the error was on my part. I should have said Tai Woffinden had won three Speedway Grand Prix SERIES!

15 minutes ago, gustix said:

I see now where the error was on my part. I should have said Tai Woffinden had won three Speedway Grand Prix SERIES!

I knew what you were implying...a case of some being pedantic in their observations.

If I come across the book on the shelf I may well flick thru' it before deciding whether to buy or not.

Edited by steve roberts

8 hours ago, mikebv said:

Plenty of riders, drivers, tennis players, snooker players, darts players and showjumpers have won three Grand Prix in their chosen sports.. 

And Lewis Hamilton has won many, many more than three..

You need to go back and tell her.. 

This young la Idy will feel foolish I am sure.. :rolleyes:

I see no reason why the young lady should feel foolish! I doubt very much if she even knows what speedway is. She was about 16 years old and from what I could see was mainly just tidying up rather than actually a part of the store's book sales staff.

57 minutes ago, gustix said:

I see no reason why the young lady should feel foolish! I doubt very much if she even knows what speedway is. She was about 16 years old and from what I could see was mainly just tidying up rather than actually a part of the store's book sales staff.

Think that maybe a whoosh

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gustix said:

More pointed then that

Tai Woffinden, motor cycle speedway rider who has won the world championship 3 times and is the current world champion (for another 8 days).

11 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

If this ludicrous story is even half true you need your head examined for even asking.  

This is the sort of response I expect from you! Err! Maybe 'dedicated sort of response?' Why the expression of doubt? and why should I have not  made an inquiry about Peter Oakes err Tai Woffinden's book?

On 9/23/2019 at 9:19 AM, gustix said:

I did try to buy a copy in Sainsburys, Penge, south London. A person who I presume looks after the books, magazines, newspaper section appeared puzzled when I asked about the book.

To be fair, the confused old fool was in the Fresh Fish aisle at the time.

13 hours ago, gustix said:

Why would anyone ever have the need to be visiting two different WH Smith branches, in two different towns, in one day?   Something smells fishy here (And it isn't the Penge Sainsbury's)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Perhaps Mr Magoostix should have called next-door-but-one before going into WHS?

Meanwhile there's a twitter account that could be interested in the story of his failure in the simple task of finding a readily-available book.   It's called  @_DHOTYA

whs.jpg

• Haha 1