British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Tai Woffinden book at £8.99

I am reminded of the Stewart Lee, Dr Who Museum bit. I can imagine your review of the Tai Woffinden book saying , the Tai Woffinden book has limited appeal apart for fans of Tai Woffinden. I was frankly disappointed that there was so much of the book devoted to the life of Tai and very little to do with Ron Johnson and absolutely no mention of Igor Baranov who was in the Red Herring Fleet.

I just finished reading Tai’s book, I got it as a download from Apple. I prefer to read the electronic versions then a paper book.   To me it is an average read, not as exciting as I hoped, nor a compelling read as in “I can’t put it down”.  It was interesting to read about his younger years in Aus, how he had difficulty accepting he was British, though raised in Aus. He explains how he felt watching the Aus riders putting on their Aus speedway attire, but clearly says he is proud to put on the GB attire and wants to win team gold for GB.  Interesting to read of a fallout between him and Micheal Lee, his engine tuner, his thoughts on Team GB selection and how hw would run the team. 

I not a Tai fan, but certainly this year he is coming over very well on TV during interviews and his go at commentating. I was warming to him, a lot. But the book needlessly has f words a plenty, and this added nothing to the book at all, in fact, for me, took a lot away from it and Tai.

my view is, writing a book was on his to do bucket list, and he did it, but I think too soon. Maybe if he left it for another few years until he retired then done it, well it may well have been better. For £7 it was ok.  

I got my next read in front of me. Few months ago I read “ The Tatooist of Auschwitz” a true story of the Jew man who tattooed the arm of every Jew that went into Auschwitz.  That was compelling read. Am finding the recent book I bought, and it is paperback, is “The BoyWho Followed His Father Into Auschwitz” is also very compelling. The bond between father and son, the son insisting he sticks with his father, even when he didn’t have to go to Auschwitz, but did even though it meant certain death.  

All seems morbid, but I visited Auschwitz in 1976 when wife and I went on organised coach trip to Katowice to see Peter Collins win his world championship, then carry on to Marianske Lazne, Czechoslovakia, to see Ivan Mauger win the world long track.  Auschwitz and what went on there has stuck in my mind since. So sad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Thank you Mr Chunky, my good man.

Kind words indeed.

i will try and explain my rationale for said articulation.

Your words took me back to a particularly bleak and grey night at New Cross a great many years ago.

A night full of mist and drizzle (mizzle if you will), and one where I remember dear old Sverre Harrfeldt (a true gentleman), saying to me "Open that door for me will you I've got my hands full" as he arrived at the track carrying his leathers in a bag.

We remained on me knowing who he was terms for a great many years.

Many more than either of us would care to remember I am sure.

Note "leathers", I said by the way, and black ones only too, not some garishly coloured garb that looks like they give no more protection than a common or garden wincyette nighty.

As I say a true gentleman was Sverre, no tattoos or holes in his ears for him.

In fact, as a case in point I remember Split Waterman one night at West Ham saying etc etc etc 

Back to the subject in hand, and I will admit to not having read the book about Tai Woffinden, and neither do I know a great deal about him. I am aware that being born to British parents in Great Britain does make him Australian.

However, am I correct in thinking that there has been mention of him considering a career in an alternative form of motorcycle racing on dirt? If so, then either the apparently imminent demise of the British speedway scene, that could lead to a renaming of the BSF to the BFTF. I believe that was an idea raised a while back by gustix?

24 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

All seems morbid, but I visited Auschwitz in 1976 when wife and I went on organised coach trip to Katowice to see Peter Collins win his world championship, then carry on to Marianske Lazne, Czechoslovakia, to see Ivan Mauger win the world long track.  Auschwitz and what went on there has stuck in my mind since. So sad.

People do think that things like this are morbid, and those of us who retain an interest in stuff like that are crazy, or even damaged. However, you describe it perfectly with the word "compelling", and as horrific as it was, there is something very fascinating and compelling about it.

The one place I want to visit before I die is Auschwitz. I know it will be an incredibly emotional and harrowing experience, but it is what I wish to experience.

Back to the book, and I agree wholeheartedly about the language used. I am not a prude by any means, but I don't understand the "need" for such language in modern books.

Steve

• Like 2

Oh well, it looks like a certain someone has gone through and hidden his posts again...

So, I have a lot of speedway books, but I don't think I will be adding this one. It has nothing to do with Tai, but I am just not a fan of modern-day writing. As far as non-fiction, I enjoy the quality of the writing as much as I do subject matter, and unless someone can convince me otherwise...

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Oh well, it looks like a certain someone has gone through and hidden his posts again...

So, I have a lot of speedway books, but I don't think I will be adding this one. It has nothing to do with Tai, but I am just not a fan of modern-day writing. As far as non-fiction, I enjoy the quality of the writing as much as I do subject matter, and unless someone can convince me otherwise...

I'm afraid you'll now forever more be bracketed with Adonis, Sidney and Gustix.. a combination of the three if you like and their 'traits'.

The only way out is to buy the book..

5 hours ago, chunky said:

The one place I want to visit before I die is Auschwitz. I know it will be an incredibly emotional and harrowing experience, but it is what I wish to experience.

Steve

Go go go..  it's harrowing, but an amazing experience.   

Went during a Katowice Gp weekend years ago, but went again on a non-speedway trip in winter in the snow to fill in the bits i'd missed the first as i was tad hungover.

It's well worth it. 

• Like 2

People do think that things like this are morbid, and those of us who retain an interest in stuff like that are crazy, or even damaged. However, you describe it perfectly with the word "compelling", and as horrific as it was, there is something very fascinating and compelling about it.

Back to the book, and I agree wholeheartedly about the language used. I am not a prude by any means, but I don't understand the "need" for such language in modern books.

Steve

I do understand the compelling interest.  My uncle Charlie served in WW2, died when I was very young, really nice guy, a miner from the Durham area, spoke with a broad Geordie dialect and I couldn't understand a word he said.  When called up he had dark brown hair, on his return it was white as he was among the first British forces to come across Belsen.  Look it up if you are at all interested, not a nice place.  His duties were to guard German army prisoners as allied soldiers, particularly American GI's, wanted to beat the German prisoners, especially the officers.  Not a great subject, mind-blowing the things humans are capable of doing to one another, but Belsen, and Auschwitz, need to be remembered to ensure such things don't re-occur....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

I'm afraid you'll now forever more be bracketed with Adonis, Sidney and Gustix.. a combination of the three if you like and their 'traits'.

The only way out is to buy the book..

Is it okay if I just have it in the background??? :blink:

Is it okay if I just have it in the background??? :blink:

Yes of course, never read it, just have it on your bookshelf in the background but comment expertly on it. Probably best to start your own Facebook group about it.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, mikebv said:

Mmmmm.

Interesting Iris123 and thank you, indeed, food for thought.

I have a question and its a pertinent one.

Is this service available via one of the true wonders of the modern world, that is to say, the telephone, perchance?

And if that it is indeed the case in point, do Messrs WHSmith accept postal orders as remittance (in part or full) for said purchases?

Personally I cannot wait for the Internet to be invented whereby I can eagerly, and enthusiastically, look forward to the day companies decide to sell their wares "on-the-line",  as I believe the correct parlance may well turn out to be.

This was so good it wasn't until I saw the replies I realised it wasn't Gustix! 

Brilliant stuff :)

• Thanks 1

Bought the book but after finishing it found it to be pretty disapointing.  It's very repetitive and jumps all over the place.  While he did spill the beans on some stories he glossed over others. He certainly isn't shy about blowing his own trumpet.  

If your thinking of buying it would recommend waiting until it drops in price.  

• Like 2

Lincolnshire Libraries have a copy in their catalogue - it’s not currently reserved....

4 hours ago, Cj69 said:

Bought the book but after finishing it found it to be pretty disapointing.  It's very repetitive and jumps all over the place.  While he did spill the beans on some stories he glossed over others. He certainly isn't shy about blowing his own trumpet.  

If your thinking of buying it would recommend waiting until it drops in price.  

Why would he be shy about blowing his own trumpet?

How many other 3 x World Individual Speedway Champions does GB have?

9 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Yes of course, never read it, just have it on your bookshelf in the background but comment expertly on it. Probably best to start your own Facebook group about it.

I love commenting expertly! Thanks for the tip about the Facebook group. If I need any help with it, could I ask you? Or would it be better for me to ask a real journalist like gustix?