British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Tai Woffinden book at £8.99

4 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

The marketing is impressive. I disagree with you that he is both British and Australian in his mind. It's pretty clear in the book that Australia is number 1 to him and there is no number 2. Riding for GB is just a business deal like riding for Sparta Wroclaw. 

I would have liked to hear more of his speedway past but he really only seemed to want to justify himself and his actions. 

Your words make complete sense to me .......

3 hours ago, Trees said:

Your words make complete sense to me .......

Medication IS available ;)

I've just finished Tai's book "Raw Speed"... or as it should have been called "It Is What It Is".

And while it was very interesting to read his take on things (I still can't make head nor tail of why he punched Ben Barker, other than they were both drunk) I have to say that I don't think I've ever read a more poorly written "Autobiography" and I've read a few. At least a third of the book must be pure filler as it goes off at tangents giving irrelevant and needless details and giving you history of who people are and and venues etc. Which quite clearly haven't been penned (or even thought of, I suspect) by Tai. And if I had a pound for every time I read the sentence "As I've mentioned before"...

Take away all of the filler and I don't think it's anything more than an extended Speedway Star interview.

6/10

• Like 7

5 hours ago, iainb said:

I've just finished Tai's book "Raw Speed"... or as it should have been called "It Is What It Is".

And while it was very interesting to read his take on things (I still can't make head nor tail of why he punched Ben Barker, other than they were both drunk) I have to say that I don't think I've ever read a more poorly written "Autobiography" and I've read a few. At least a third of the book must be pure filler as it goes off at tangents giving irrelevant and needless details and giving you history of who people are and and venues etc. Which quite clearly haven't been penned (or even thought of, I suspect) by Tai. And if I had a pound for every time I read the sentence "As I've mentioned before"...

Take away all of the filler and I don't think it's anything more than an extended Speedway Star interview.

6/10

I've nothing but admiration for what Tai has achieved in speedway, but his book is terrible.

I've read loads of speedway books down the years and the Simon Wigg book is my favourite, and the only one that has moved me to tears.

• Like 2

Yes Tai's achievements on track are impressive. It would be rather more impressive if the performances for England had been for the country, not just his wallet. 

Anyway, riding well is no excuse for his attitude in the book. 

• Like 1

I tend to read autobiographies/biographies (afteral many are 'ghost' written) of sportsmen (generally footballers and speedway riders although Jackie Stewart's was a most rewarding read) but generally avoid those written when the subject matter is still competing at his chosen sport. Prefer a more rounded insight based on a career finalised rather than a candid view whilst still active. Can't say by the comments I've been reading about Woffinden's effort that I am desperate in purchasing a copy.

6 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I tend to read autobiographies/biographies (afteral many are 'ghost' written) of sportsmen (generally footballers and speedway riders although Jackie Stewart's was a most rewarding read) but generally avoid those written when the subject matter is still competing at his chosen sport. Prefer a more rounded insight based on a career finalised rather than a candid view whilst still active. Can't say by the comments I've been reading about Woffinden's effort that I am desperate in purchasing a copy.

I take your point entirely. It's like the difference between an instantaneous match report and a 'considered', once you've had time to think through all aspects.

It's worth the fiver online, if only as an insight into his priorities. As a biography it's lacking perspective, despite Peter Oakes' best efforts. 

• Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 12:38 PM, OldHawk said:

I am very late posting any comment to this as I waited until the book was under £5.

I have to say that I feel the book was ill advised.

Tai comes over a a bit of a money grabber with little thought for British speedway for which he has not done anything like enough to help a sport in crisis.

He admits deciding to be British to gain a 10k sponsorship offered only to brits and says his heart breaks when he sees the Aussies pulling on their Australian race jackets.

He is really an Australian and his disregard the UK speedway says it all. For me it doesn't cast him in a good light at all.

I rest my case, I'm sure the Aussies would give him citizenship, go Tai ....... Even if the Brits won a title with him, it would mean nothing to him .... what's the point Tai??

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Trees said:

I rest my case, I'm sure the Aussies would give him citizenship, go Tai ....... Even if the Brits won a title with him, it would mean nothing to him .... what's the point Tai??

Having read his book it comes across as it actually means quite a lot to him... "him" being the important word, it reads as though he doesn't care who he wins it with as long as he wins it.

Was an interesting read I thought. To be honest there's nothing that shocking but good to get his insight. As someone who's cheered Tai on at home and on the continent its a little bit of a tough pill to swallow knowing he 's heart is really with the Aussies. However 1. its understandable, 2. Can't say he hasn't been anything other than brilliant when he's represented GB. 

It's more and more common in the world we live in people have split loyalties when it comes to their nationality. Whether is be they are new to living in a country, parents are from somewhere else, its just the world we live in.  With regards to how he's treated British Speedway, yes I appreciate it gave him his start but I can't say I blame him for not wanting to be any part of it. He's not alone either, this goes back the Hans Nielsen in the mid 90s. Unfortunately its just an inferior league run by an old boys club. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RPNY said:

Was an interesting read I thought. To be honest there's nothing that shocking but good to get his insight. As someone who's cheered Tai on at home and on the continent its a little bit of a tough pill to swallow knowing he 's heart is really with the Aussies. However 1. its understandable, 2. Can't say he hasn't been anything other than brilliant when he's represented GB. 

It's more and more common in the world we live in people have split loyalties when it comes to their nationality. Whether is be they are new to living in a country, parents are from somewhere else, its just the world we live in.  With regards to how he's treated British Speedway, yes I appreciate it gave him his start but I can't say I blame him for not wanting to be any part of it. He's not alone either, this goes back the Hans Nielsen in the mid 90s. Unfortunately its just an inferior league run by an old boys club. 

To be fair I think that Hans having served British Speedway with distinction for many years he did confirm on having joined Coventry that he only intended spending a couple of years based in Britain. Personally I don't think that it was a reflection on how British Speedway was being run but more that he was wishing to curtail his involvement and found that being based on the continent suited his family responsibilities.

You are indeed correct he served British Speedway with absolute distinction. However he was the first one to go and many followed 

• Like 1

There was a programme on tv last week, A New Life In The Sun, where a British couple had moved abroad to work, were successful so applied for residency status. This was accepted and he said he was now "not British as is living in Spain".

On 2/17/2020 at 12:48 PM, RobMcCaffery said:

I agree entirely. He clearly states that he considers himself an Aussie and that he only rode for GB to satisfy a generous sponsor. I had hoped for insight into matters that Tai had been involved with. All I got was to see the spark of ruthlessness that makes many champions. I prefer the ones that aren't quite so cynical and ruthless. There were some who were a joy to know.

I have long defended Tai as British. Scunthorpe is definitely British and his father Rob most definitely was. I'd hoped to finish the book on Tai's side. Sadly my reaction is the opposite. He is a modern man. I prefer the past.....

On a production note, it was pretty clear which bits were inserted by Peter Oakes wholesale - the historical back-up to a point being made, for example. 

It was an interesting read but left me greatly saddened. It'll be hard to support the guy in the SGP, knowing his only interest in racing for GB is professional. He's not one of us. I wish he was. I'd rather have a determined, sincere British failure than an Aussie success pretending to be a Brit. Before reading this book there is no way I would have said that, so it was a worthwhile, if misguided read. With someone as authoritative as Peter Oakes behind the project it's pretty clear that Tai got his way. 

I bought my copy on Kindle for £5.03. It was just about value for money, mainly as an exercise in Peter Oakes' knowledge and superb writing ability on our sport.

I'm very late to the party on this as I was saving the book for a holiday that never happened and have only just read it.

I hadn't even seen this thread but thought I'd see what others had said and your post pretty much matched my thoughts after reading it.

I think his stance is quite disrespectful to the British fans who support him. Apart from the sponsorship thing he'd do well to remember that it's unlikely that he'd have got his GP pick in the first place without his UK status. 

The heartbreak watching the Aussies pull on their race jackets was particularly disrespectful I thought.

To me it's a bit like being told by your partner "I only married you for money and to further my career. I will still fulfill my obligations to you in a patronising way but it breaks my heart when I see my ex who I really love.  I'm only being honest so you should be okay with that"

13 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

I'm very late to the party on this as I was saving the book for a holiday that never happened and have only just read it.

I hadn't even seen this thread but thought I'd see what others had said and your post pretty much matched my thoughts after reading it.

I think his stance is quite disrespectful to the British fans who support him. Apart from the sponsorship thing he'd do well to remember that it's unlikely that he'd have got his GP pick in the first place without his UK status. 

The heartbreak watching the Aussies pull on their race jackets was particularly disrespectful I thought.

To me it's a bit like being told by your partner "I only married you for money and to further my career. I will still fulfill my obligations to you in a patronising way but it breaks my heart when I see my ex who I really love.  I'm only being honest so you should be okay with that"

He was very very lucky to even get another shot at the big time without really earning it.He forgets that big time.Saying all of that i have to admire him he got fitter more professional moved up a few levels better than Craven, Collins,Lee a big NO for me.