British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Tai Woffinden book at £8.99

22 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Penhall didn’t ride many UK seasons, did he?

As regards the others, let’s face it, the British League was the biggest and best in the world in the 70s so why wouldn’t they ride here!

...and, of course, it was always said that to become World Champion one had to compete in Britain (despite a couple of exceptions!) regularly riding against the best and even Egon Muller took up the chance (1976) so as to tune himself up for the forthcoming World Final before disappearing...but as I say it's all pretty academic and the 'goal posts' were moved many years ago now with different criteria at play.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Also one needs to remember that some riders were riding 3 -4 times a week in Britain in what was a pretty comprehensive fixture list unlike today.

It certainly would be interesting to compare the schedules of the top riders of yesteryear with today's top riders.

It's a bit apples and pears of course because the stars of the 70s and 80s would spend the majority of their week in the UK, with perhaps one lucrative Sunday in Germany, as opposed to today's riders racing in 3-4 countries every week taking multiple leagues and GPs into account. I suspect the schedules would be comparable. I would imagine Nicki Pedersen has been the busiest rider of the modern era, balancing commitments in Sweden, Poland, UK, Russia, Denmark and GPs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, falcace said:

PC, Lee, Mauger, Briggs, Olsen, Penhall, pick anyone you like. If they were in the modern era, they would not be riding in Britain, they would be straight where the richest pickings were. To suggest they raced in the UK out of loyalty and/or pride above finance is hopelessly naive. 

You are totally  right but to get to the top in speedway then you had to ride in England.Also we all know Mauger, Briggs, Ole, PC, Lee (etc) over the years turned down endless chances of making more money on lucrative continental engagements.

Think if I remember rightly Fundin had quite a hectic schedule, what with being based in out of the way Norwich in the days of old cars and not so great roads and then fitting in Sweden and world championship rounds abroad. The British riders had it better i'd guess. Especially those based in London

• Like 1

1 hour ago, falcace said:

It certainly would be interesting to compare the schedules of the top riders of yesteryear with today's top riders.

It's a bit apples and pears of course because the stars of the 70s and 80s would spend the majority of their week in the UK, with perhaps one lucrative Sunday in Germany, as opposed to today's riders racing in 3-4 countries every week taking multiple leagues and GPs into account. I suspect the schedules would be comparable. I would imagine Nicki Pedersen has been the busiest rider of the modern era, balancing commitments in Sweden, Poland, UK, Russia, Denmark and GPs.

I remember reading an article about Peter Collins and he said that during one period during the seventies he rode over a three week period something like 19 meetings or something similar and that wasn't uncommon he stated?

Edited by steve roberts

30 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Also we all know Mauger, Briggs, Ole, PC, Lee (etc) over the years turned down endless chances of making more money on lucrative continental engagements.

Do we? I'd be interested to hear of them.

I certainly recall grumbles when British League riders were threatened with bans if they refused to ride at BSPA events in favour of a more lucrative engagement. I also recall Simon Wigg and Chris Morton missing an test match decider with Denmark at Wiggy's home track at Oxford. Why? Because they had a better paid job at the Ace of Aces Grasstrack on the same day. 

They could, of course, have take the Hans Nielsen approach. This meant rocking up at the Ace of Aces, riding one race, taking their appearance fee and then pulling out complaining of injury before heading straight to Oxford and riding in the Test Match a few hours later for a few more quid. Now, I'm not going to judge any of these guys (although Nielsen's approach was questionable), it's a short and dangerous career and they need to make money when they can. But I think it's naive to believe that top riders from today or the past were putting some sort of club or country loyalty above financial gain. 

Edited by falcace

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I remember reading an article about Peter Collins and he said that during one period during the seventies he rode over a three week period something like 19 meetings or something similar and that wasn't uncommon he stated?

I'll bet he did. PC, Olsen and Mauger were must-have riders for any big open meeting in the UK or on the continent...and fair play to them too! :)

• Like 2

ivan allways said like the fans who were watching him he was allowed a day off which he chose to be a sunday, what he did on his day off was up to him so he went to germany tp ride for mega bucks or marks as they were then ,simple .

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, falcace said:

Do we? I'd be interested to hear of them.

I certainly recall grumbles when British League riders were threatened with bans if they refused to ride at BSPA events in favour of a more lucrative engagement. I also recall Simon Wigg and Chris Morton missing an test match decider with Denmark at Wiggy's home track at Oxford. Why? Because they had a better paid job at the Ace of Aces Grasstrack on the same day. 

They could, of course, have take the Hans Nielsen approach. This meant rocking up at the Ace of Aces, riding one race, taking their appearance fee and then pulling out complaining of injury before heading straight to Oxford and riding in the Test Match a few hours later for a few more quid. Now, I'm not going to judge any of these guys (although Nielsen's approach was questionable), it's a short and dangerous career and they need to make money when they can. But I think it's naive to believe that top riders from today or the past were putting some sort of club or country loyalty above financial gain. 

The riders knew then that the BL was there bread/Butter i actually remember Briggs being stopped riding in the 1973 Silver plume meeting after getting an invitation.Woffinden i have nothing but admiration for him  on what he has achieved in speedway and him actually dropping the UK does not bother me it is his choice his livelihood.I just feel he could of done certain things differently don't understand his stance on the British title the chance of giving a bit back his choice of course.

Edited by Sidney the robin

2 hours ago, falcace said:

I would imagine Nicki Pedersen has been the busiest rider of the modern era, balancing commitments in Sweden, Poland, UK, Russia, Denmark and GPs.

All the busiest riders are those active in the UK. We have the largest leagues and doubling up (unless you are Ellis Perks - then its tripling).

By my reckoning thd busiest rider last year without a GB team berth was Bartosz Zmarzlik. There were 19 riders who took more rides than him. All had a PL and/or CL team. Three of the top five were Swindon  riders. Rasmus Jensen came out top (followed by Doyle, Fricke, Klindt and Perks).

All but two of the top 16 busiest riders were British, Danish or Australian - Covatti (at 12) and Bellego (at 16).

• Like 2

In any Sport it always seems like the no 1 divides fans. That is the case in Speedway. Whereas other riders do not get pulled up about their personality, The best does. And of course people start saying, Is he the best ever ?. In modern times nobody comes near him. i actually think he is cool the way he comes across. Belting book.

2 minutes ago, craigACE said:

In any Sport it always seems like the no 1 divides fans. That is the case in Speedway. Whereas other riders do not get pulled up about their personality, The best does. And of course people start saying, Is he the best ever ?. In modern times nobody comes near him. i actually think he is cool the way he comes across. Belting book.

Not true at all. Just look at Garrity, and he isn't a no.1 anywhere apart from in his own head

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Not true at all. Just look at Garrity, and he isn't a no.1 anywhere apart from in his own head

Does Garritty divide fans? Or do they all think he's a tosser?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Does Garritty divide fans? Or do they all think he's a tosser?

‘Other riders do not get pulled up about their personality’ was the bit I was talking about. It isn’t just no. 1s. I could also mention Lewis Bridger...plus I think one or two on here quite like Gartitty from a few posts seen

Edited by iris123

13 hours ago, iris123 said:

‘Other riders do not get pulled up about their personality’ was the bit I was talking about. It isn’t just no. 1s. I could also mention Lewis Bridger...plus I think one or two on here quite like Gartitty from a few posts seen

Quite right. A lot of them could be classed as No. 2...