Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Tai Woffinden book at £8.99

I must admire your endeavour in traipsing round town looking for a book on a rider you don’t even like. The trouble is when weighing up what books to stock from the list, the manager probably rejects ordering a copy of Tais book on the off chance that some bloke from Penge is going to pop in and ask if the book is in stock just for the sake of it. with no intention to buy it, so he can make a point on some forum

Think that is self explanatory, with no need for clarification 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gustix said:

I see now where the error was on my part. I should have said Tai Woffinden had won three Speedway Grand Prix SERIES!

Sad that you are not familiar with the term, "World Champion"... :(

3 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

To be fair, the confused old fool was in the Fresh Fish aisle at the time.

He would have been better off looking on the "Tai Rack"...

See what I did there? :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

To be fair, the confused old fool was in the Fresh Fish aisle at the time.

Why would anyone ever have the need to be visiting two different WH Smith branches, in two different towns, in one day?   Something smells fishy here (And it isn't the Penge Sainsbury's)

Because I was en route 227 which serves Crystal Palace to Bromley via Penge. Beckenham is enroute with that service. I disembarked in Beckenham to visit another shop. As it was near to WHS I called in there as well and asked about the TW book, then resumed my journey to Bromley. I look forward to your further ridiculous comment WalterPlinge.

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

I must admire your endeavour in traipsing round town looking for a book on a rider you don’t even like. The trouble is when weighing up what books to stock from the list, the manager probably rejects ordering a copy of Tais book on the off chance that some bloke from Penge is going to pop in and ask if the book is in stock just for the sake of it. with no intention to buy it, so he can make a point on some forum

Think that is self explanatory, with no need for clarification 

Utter childish bilge as usual from Hamburg. I wanted to buy a copy of the book as I keep being asked questions about it on a Facebook group. Provided I have a receipt for the purchase I can reclaim the charge on my annual tax return.

Just now, gustix said:

Utter childish bilge as usual from Hamburg. I wanted to buy a copy of the book as I keep being asked questions about it on a Facebook group. Provided I have a receipt for the purchase I can reclaim the charge on my annual tax return.

Why on earth would people ask someone about a book that he hasn’t got and doesn’t even like the rider or modern speedway? This sounds weird and needs clarification. What sort of strange group is this?

7 minutes ago, gustix said:

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Why on earth would people ask someone about a book that he hasn’t got and doesn’t even like the rider or modern speedway? This sounds weird and needs clarification. What sort of strange group is this?

On the FB group members are of the opinion that I have an overall knowledge of modern speedway happenings.

So far as I recall the only references I have made there in regard to Tai Woffinden is details of the book and various publisher information regarding its availability.

I assume - but this may be too diffcult for you to comprehend - is that because I have publicised the book's publication that I also have a copy of it. From that conjecture I have been asked questions about it. In order to meet these I thought it best to get hold of a copy.

Sounds like a strange group. Either new members who don’t know you or you have just joined. Keep us informed on how this pans out. Sounds like it will be fun. Maybe you can try Foyles in London. Last time I popped in they had a good few speedway books. You could also have asked WH. Smiths to order it for you. They can do that sort of thing nowadays

7 minutes ago, gustix said:

On the FB group members are of the opinion that I have an overall knowledge of modern speedway happenings.

Did you work in the comedy section of the South London Press? Did you say you used to make up readers letters in the SLP or the Star ? This should be a comedy series really John

27 minutes ago, gustix said:

Because I was en route 227 which serves Crystal Palace to Bromley via Penge. Beckenham is enroute with that service. I disembarked in Beckenham to visit another shop. As it was near to WHS I called in there as well and asked about the TW book, then resumed my journey to Bromley. I look forward to your further ridiculous comment WalterPlinge.

This total makes sense to me, and is in no way the ramblings of a fantasist who is making up crap and seeking attention.

It's simple.  He went from his home in Penge to Bromley for a lunch (which he said 3 pages ago he was treating himself to with the money he's saved because he definitely isn't buying Tai Woffinden's book).   After lunch he called in at the Bromley WH Smith to ask about the TW book (which he isn't going to buy) by giving a vaguely misleading discription of Lewis Hamilton.  The confused assistant took the easy way out by telling him they don't stock whatever book he was rambling on about and describing so badly.

He then got the bus home to Penge...  but part way through the journey, he disembarked the bus in Beckenham, to visit another branch of the self-same national chain of shops, who had already told him they don't stock the book that he doesn't want to buy (even though they do).

He then had to wait for the next bus of the same service that he had just needlessly got off.

Sounds believeable to me.

20 minutes ago, gustix said:

Provided I have a receipt for the purchase I can reclaim the charge on my annual tax return.

No Mr Dodd.  That's not how income tax works.   But the good news is that there is no VAT on books.   (And definitely no VAT on books you haven't bought and never intend to buy).

17 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Why on earth would people ask someone about a book that he hasn’t got

Again, why are you so sceptical?   What is the point of Facebook if not to ask for book reviews from people who don't have the book in question?   Maybe you aren't a member of enough prestigious Facebook groups?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, gustix said:

Hmmmm... It was only a few months ago we were discussing some things on here, and not only did you not know the riders who were being discussed, but I had to inform you of the existence of some of the current world championships...

Not bad for someone who has an "overall knowledge" of the sport - particularly when you have often boasted how disinterested with speedway you have been for decades.

Still, what's one more contradiction from a speedway journalist who wasn't a speedway journalist?

Steve

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, iris123 said:

You could also have asked WH. Smiths to order it for you. They can do that sort of thing nowadays

Yes indeed.  Very easy to buy the book from WH Smith.  Just follow the link below.

For a delivery charge they'll post it to your home address.  Or for zero delivery charge you can just pop into a WH Smith branch and collect it in person (including Beckenham and Bromley)

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/raw-speed-the-autobiography-of-the-threetimes-world-speedway-champion/tai-woffinden/hardback/9781786062789.html

4 hours ago, chunky said:

Hmmmm... It was only a few months ago we were discussing some things on here, and not only did you not know the riders who were being discussed, but I had to inform you of the existence of some of the current world championships...

Not bad for someone who has an "overall knowledge" of the sport - particularly when you have often boasted how disinterested with speedway you have been for decades.

Still, what's one more contradiction from a speedway journalist who wasn't a speedway journalist?

Steve

My time involved with the speedway on a full-time journalistic basis was about four years whereas far more years in the profession were in no way connected with the sport. That should clarify that point for you chunky.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, CottonOn said:

Yes indeed.  Very easy to buy the book from WH Smith.  Just follow the link below.

For a delivery charge they'll post it to your home address.  Or for zero delivery charge you can just pop into a WH Smith branch and collect it in person (including Beckenham and Bromley)

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/raw-speed-the-autobiography-of-the-threetimes-world-speedway-champion/tai-woffinden/hardback/9781786062789.html

At last a common sense answer. I will possibly follow your suggestion. Many thanks indeed CottonOn.

3 minutes ago, CottonOn said:

But that would have been the end of the story, unless Gustix reeled back in horror at the tattooed pic of Tai and said, look at the state of him. You wouldn’t catch Jack Parker looking like that, whilst walking out of the shop shaking his head and carrying on the conversation with a couple of teenagers at the bus stop

• Like 1