British Speedway Forum
johnyson66

Redcar v Leicester Semi final

Why do you keep posting negative weather reports? Where do you live? I live inMiddlesbrough and the weather is OK !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Like your beloved Newcastle do?

Even they have to appeal for help to assist the junior riders to remove covers before and after meetings and the juniors were told if they didn't help they wouldn't get a ride.

Your asking for a minimum of six/eight able bodied ( not old folk as it will be heavy work) people who have time during the day ( assuming they don't work ) to graft for a couple of hours in the wet shale for no pay ( possibly free entry ?) in the hope of getting a meeting on , if it stops raining?

When that doesn't work you will be saying its unprofessional and they should have cricket style covers, and it will go on and on and on.

The sport has trundled along for nearly a hundred years without covers and whilst the theory of covers is good, in practice it just hasn't worked to a level to justify the outlay and effort.

Example Cleveland park had covers over the dog track that obviously needed removing and putting back on twice a week and the area covered was bigger than the speedway track , and before you say the speedway track didn't have covers,  it's trundled along for a 100 years you say well times havery changed a lot haven't they in that time , and getting dirty isn't a problem I didn't go to work and say I can't work today I don't want to get mucky , my beleif is that we would get enough volunteers to lay covers if needed , and no it isn't hard work to lay a few covers , it all depends what work your used to doing , no wonder speedway is dying with the attitudes you and lots of others have 

1 hour ago, johnyson66 said:

Many a time when snow arrives the football club asks for volunteers to help clear snow around the stadium so the match can go ahead for the spectators safety , it's no big deal and as a speedway fan I as I'm guessing many others would give up a couple of hours to keep the track raceable,  Speedway needs all the help it can get these days and is in serious need of help the more meetings that go ahead as planned is good for everybody who follows our dying sport 

Yeah, but this isn't football or cricket and speedway isn't sending people to the moon,,, I agree that it's not rocket science either, but getting half a dozen dedicated bodies to complete the task is entering another universe ;)

ps. A dog track has a different reason to be covered.

Edited by ruffdiamond

9 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Yeah, but this isn't football or cricket and speedway isn't sending people to the moon,,, I agree that it's not rocket science either, but getting half a dozen dedicated bodies to complete the task is entering another universe ;)

ps. A dog track has a different reason to be covered.

No it isn't a popular sport and we have to ask ourselves why ? Getting rain offs does nothing but damage to speedway , how many gp riders are still riding here ? To many rain offs and speedway is not exactly a riveting sport considering we get under 15 minutes of actual speedway and it can take sometimes 2 and a half hours to complete a meeting if there's an accident,  I just feel that to keep speedway going and attract fans things have to change otherwise the sport I love will die in this country, putting covers on a track in my opinion would give us less rain offs , I personally would stay after a meetingto lay covers as I'm sure plenty of others would , just seems that certain people see problems that shouldn't exist , I was devastated when Cleveland Park shut I would hate to see us close again , 

I'm getting off my high horse about track covers now , it's still drizzling and sky is still dark , crossing my fingers and toes it doesn't get any heavier and brightens up a bit 

4 minutes ago, johnyson66 said:

No it isn't a popular sport and we have to ask ourselves why ? Getting rain offs does nothing but damage to speedway , how many gp riders are still riding here ? To many rain offs and speedway is not exactly a riveting sport considering we get under 15 minutes of actual speedway and it can take sometimes 2 and a half hours to complete a meeting if there's an accident,  I just feel that to keep speedway going and attract fans things have to change otherwise the sport I love will die in this country, putting covers on a track in my opinion would give us less rain offs , I personally would stay after a meetingto lay covers as I'm sure plenty of others would , just seems that certain people see problems that shouldn't exist , I was devastated when Cleveland Park shut I would hate to see us close again , 

I would think that you could purchase enough materials to cover the track for less than £4000, you would then need to build/put it together,,, then find a team of dedicated (die-hards) bodies to be available when needed, if you've got all that, then your part of the way there :t:

Catch 22 situation with track covers ,hampers track prep if put down, if it’s raining at start time riders won’t entertain it.Is it worth the bother.!!

32 minutes ago, johnyson66 said:

speaking of CP - the rain offs there were few and far between

remember sawdust going down to soak extra water up

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ch958 said:

Them were the days,they won’t even ride if there is dirt on the track nowadays ,and it does have to be raining!!!!

9 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Catch 22 situation with track covers ,hampers track prep if put down, if it’s raining at start time riders won’t entertain it.Is it worth the bother.!!

Probly not these day's.

If it was do-able it might work ok.

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Them were the days,they won’t even ride if there is dirt on the track nowadays ,and it does have to be raining!!!!

What about boiler suits, they might help to keep the kevlars clean,,, would you need to have owa-raals with the sponsors on ? ;)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

What about boiler suits, they might help to keep the kevlars clean,,, would you need to have owa-raals with the sponsors on ? ;)

I remember Bert Harkins wearing stripey pajamas over his leathers at Old meadowbank in Edinburgh :rofl:

• Haha 1

Weather been mizzly all day, but starting to clear now, expect meeting to go ahead and hope Mudgeways Mudlarks give us a 10 point lead to take down there. Good racing and all riders stay safe.

48 minutes ago, ch958 said:

Watched a few of the old meetings from cp on YouTube,  can't remember the lighting being as dark in the day as it appears on YouTube,  also if you haven't seen it they've got the 4tt we won when Gary Havelock was a reserve for Fiora I think