British Speedway Forum
johnyson66

Redcar v Leicester Semi final

Eight point lead for the Bears, it's going to be a real task to get a result in the return, but not beyond the Bears by any means. UTB !!

Tie is still alive for the second leg , can't ask anymore than that , don't forget Leicester were 14 points above us in the table , Leicester are a top team I'm over the moon with that result and for a bit of bad fortune we could easily be 12 to 14 points upĀ 

• Like 1

Advantage Leicester you'd have to say now after a strange night at the MPA.

Bears stormed to an early lead, it was up to 14 points at one stage, but then a lot of shared heats and a Leicester "fight back" due inĀ a large degree to Redcar dropping points from scoring positions (Lawson e/f when second and Greaves spinning off when second). Not much racing as the track was very wet and gating was at a premium.

All the Bears chipped in, Lawson was an excellent guest. For the Lions ,Douglas was the expected excellent top man, Nicholls faded after a good start and Mountain rode well after a shaky start.

Think the Bears will regret those dropped points but at least they take a lead of some sorts.

Edited by Yearbyred

1 hour ago, foamfence said:

Eight points sadly not enough I fear.

We dodged a big bullet there, and with unpredictability of weather and track conditions its a one-off match coming up on the 12th with Redcar up by 8 points at the start, and anything can happen in these far from normal circumstances to cause a decisive shift to one side or the other. Not over by any means!!

Just looked at updates, Ht 14 Greaves fell bend 2 lap 2, race awarded. I thought 2 lapsĀ had to be completed before a race could be awarded, has this changed? Not easy, good luck Redcar!

Edited by comet49

Looking at the result at Leicester earlier in the season when we lost by 8 points after 12 heats I think we have a good chance of winning the tie on aggregate, Ā we are a lot stronger than we were in that match , we had r/r and Nicol was withdrawn after a crash in his first race add to that we have Riss who looks on form and we get a good replacement for MPT I'm happy with the 8 point lead , all it takes is for one of their top 3 to have an average meeting and Grieves to hit a bit of form then I think we are right in it and personaly I think we are favourites to go through , C O T BĀ 

8 hours ago, comet49 said:

Just looked at updates, Ht 14 Greaves fell bend 2 lap 2, race awarded. I thought 2 lapsĀ had to be completed before a race could be awarded, has this changed? Not easy, good luck Redcar!

Heard before, that the leading rider was approaching his 3rd lap, (bend 4 lap 2),,, so race awarded.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Heard before, that the leading rider was approaching his 3rd lap, (bend 4 lap 2),,, so race awarded.

Still lap two though. Wasn't there, but following the updates I thought it strange to give a 1-5 on second lap. Was Stewart that far behind the Lions pair?

• Like 1

My first visit to Redcar last night and what a nice tidy setup you've got up there. The track looked a bit like the Leicester track (with it's weird banking on the bends) but with better proportions, the racing wasn't much cop maybe that was down to the weather? 8 points the diff keeps the tie alive.

One thing that puzzles me though, and it may have been gone through before on other threads... but why are you called Redcar, when you are quite clearly nearer to Middlesborough and would probably be better off (media wise) being called Middlesborough? Is it a rights issue of some sort?

Just now, cheekycobra said:

Still lap two though. Wasn't there, but following the updates I thought it strange to give a 1-5 on second lap. Was Stewart that far behind the Lions pair?

The ref had already ballsed up by calling it back for Stewart jumping the start when Lions were on a 5-1 going into the first bend... probably just seeing out justice