British Speedway Forum
johnyson66

Redcar v Leicester Semi final

4 minutes ago, cheekycobra said:

Still lap two though. Wasn't there, but following the updates I thought it strange to give a 1-5 on second lap. Was Stewart that far behind the Lions pair?

I wasn't referring to last night btw, wasn't there and suppose its down to the referee, but the example/reason/excuse I used has been used before.

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

My first visit to Redcar last night and what a nice tidy setup you've got up there. The track looked a bit like the Leicester track (with it's weird banking on the bends) but with better proportions, the racing wasn't much cop maybe that was down to the weather? 8 points the diff keeps the tie alive.

One thing that puzzles me though, and it may have been gone through before on other threads... but why are you called Redcar, when you are quite clearly nearer to Middlesborough and would probably be better off (media wise) being called Middlesborough? Is it a rights issue of some sort?

its Redcar and Cleveland council land so they wanted the name used. I believe Middlesbrough Council were not exactly v helpful in finding suitable land.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

My first visit to Redcar last night and what a nice tidy setup you've got up there. The track looked a bit like the Leicester track (with it's weird banking on the bends) but with better proportions, the racing wasn't much cop maybe that was down to the weather? 8 points the diff keeps the tie alive.

One thing that puzzles me though, and it may have been gone through before on other threads... but why are you called Redcar, when you are quite clearly nearer to Middlesborough and would probably be better off (media wise) being called Middlesborough? Is it a rights issue of some sort?

Redcar & Cleveland Council said they had to incorporate the name Redcar into the team team when they first submitted the planning permission, if my memory serves me correctly (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm incorrect))

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wtf said:

Average track area of a 300m track 10m wide is just under 3500 sqm. A heavy duty tarpaulin (the type they use to cover a cricket square) will cost approx. £5000 for that amount.

The fundamental problem with them is fixing them in place, and getting a team of people and you need at least 10 to drop everything, go to the track, put them out, take them away, get covered in dirt doing it, and to do it on top of everything else they do for the speedway club for F##k all already. 

Sure covers would save some meetings, maybe half if you are lucky. Oh and by the way, if you've ever tried laying a 10m x 10m groundsheet in the wind and the rain and to do that 30 times and secure them, then take them back up without damaging them and dragging them across a shale surface covered in muck. If you'd all like to form an orderly queue to volunteer to do it for free, that would be great, answers on a postcard...………...thought not. 

You also have the problem of how you seal the joins. Water will seep through and then you have patches of water on the track which would be dangerous

9 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

You also have the problem of how you seal the joins. Water will seep through and then you have patches of water on the track which would be dangerous

You would also need a decent 'run-off' area, preferably below track level, to accept the collective rain water.

11 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

You would also need a decent 'run-off' area, preferably below track level, to accept the collective rain water.

It was just a suggestion,  obviously speedway fans still think it's to difficult to stick a few covers over a track to keep it getting soaked , but it's okay that discussion was yesterday I'd rather concentrate on the result and I think any Bears fan would have taken being 8 up for the 2nd leg , and in Wrighty and Riss we've got 2 riders who go well round their track and a decent guest with Greaves chipping in a few I think we are slight favourites to go through 

24 minutes ago, johnyson66 said:

and in Wrighty and Riss we've got 2 riders who go well round their track and a decent guest 

Jake Allen is the guest 

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Couldn't be called Middlesborough, as there is no such place as Middlesborough. There is a Middlesbrough though.

Hope that explains why Lester fans asked the question. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, parkendlass said:

Couldn't be called Middlesborough, as there is no such place as Middlesborough. There is a Middlesbrough though.

Could you repeat that:drink:

1 hour ago, cheekycobra said:

Still lap two though. Wasn't there, but following the updates I thought it strange to give a 1-5 on second lap. Was Stewart that far behind the Lions pair?

A race can be awarded at any point, there is no minimum laps. However that race was well spread out, Stewart even seemed to be slowing but still under power so awarding was the fair answer

45 minutes ago, KEITH M said:

Jake Allen is the guest 

Like Jake Allen he always gives 100% , feel quietly confident for the return leg now , is he guesting against Newcastle as well 

15 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

A race can be awarded at any point, there is no minimum laps. However that race was well spread out, Stewart even seemed to be slowing but still under power so awarding was the fair answer

15.5.3  Where a Referee stops a heat, and the leading Rider has completed at least 2 laps, then they have the sole discretion to either order a re-run or award the heat based upon the
positions when it was caused to be stopped; Riders, other than the one disqualified being advanced one place

1 hour ago, johnyson66 said:

It was just a suggestion,  obviously speedway fans still think it's to difficult to stick a few covers over a track to keep it getting soaked , but it's okay that discussion was yesterday I'd rather concentrate on the result and I think any Bears fan would have taken being 8 up for the 2nd leg , and in Wrighty and Riss we've got 2 riders who go well round their track and a decent guest with Greaves chipping in a few I think we are slight favourites to go through 

Well that's all ok, but I wasn't replying to you. :t:

2 hours ago, johnyson66 said:

That's very assuming of you, I was disappointed with eight points and I doubt I'm alone in that.

1 hour ago, parkendlass said:

I've never noticed that before... you live and learn

• Like 1