British Speedway Forum
johnyson66

Redcar v Leicester Semi final

1 hour ago, Paulco said:

Daftness like that isn't unprecedented though . Glasgow v Newcastle in the KO Cup in 2017 . Ricky Wells guessed for Glasgow in the first leg , and guested for Newcastle in the 2nd leg  . 

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

Don't think that is allowed now.

It can't happen now, Art 18.10.6 prevents it.

Edited by NeilWatson

1 hour ago, johnyson66 said:

Just done some checking on Tom Woolley and scores he's had compared to rides and this is no disrespect to the bloke but I think we can all see that he hasnt come on as well as he maybe should have done , can't see him being here next season and think we need to look at bringing in a young rider who has potential to improve  , Toms stats show where we have been suffering which has put a lot of pressure on Greaves , he's had 19 meetings taking 62 rides and scored 17 points with 8bp, I think that's the difference between a good side and being a top side , no disrespect to him and I wish him well but we need someone who has the scope for improvement 

Someone like Jack Smith.

2 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

No restriction on that, an eligible guest rider could appear in both semi-finals - and the final - of both leagues, averages and fixture dates permitting!

18.1.9 was supposed to stop that but (as with so many rules) is written wrongly  

That was certainly the intention - a guest (a) couldn’t come from another team involved in the play offs and (b) couldn’t guest for more than one team in the play offs. Instead, the rule refers to “in any one leg”. I would expect  Leicester to use Allen as the guest, for Glasgow to appeal it, and for MC, for obvious reasons, to reject Glasgow’s appeal :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Gordon Pairman said:

18.1.9 was supposed to stop that but (as with so many rules) is written wrongly  

That was certainly the intention - a guest (a) couldn’t come from another team involved in the play offs and (b) couldn’t guest for more than one team in the play offs. Instead, the rule refers to “in any one leg”. I would expect  Leicester to use Allen as the guest, for Glasgow to appeal it, and for MC, for obvious reasons, to reject Glasgow’s appeal :D

I agree Gordon, and I pointed out the sloppy wording at the time, to no avail. I'm sure in the scenario you mention, MC would be as scrupulously fair and unbiased as ever.....

Edited by NeilWatson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I have to say having read quite a few of your posts this season through following Redcar on here with their Lynn connections you are one of the most articulate, fair minded, unbiased and balanced posters on the forum.  This post sums it up well. 

If you met him in person you would be amazed he could string coherent sentences together, I think his young children do the posting on here :rofl:

(Note to Yearbyred - Visually impaired!! (I haven't forgotten!)) :D 

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Gringo said:

Someone like Jack Smith.

I think Smiths average was to high when we brought Riss in , might be wrong but I think we only had 2.0 points to play with so we were never going to get a world beater but there must have been riders out there who had a bit more potential than Woolley 

Edited by johnyson66

1 hour ago, Gringo said:

Someone like Jack Smith.

Jack Smith didn't want to ride for Redcar. He also didn't make a good team player which is what has drawn this team together since the changes.

As for Tom, I think he's done more than was ever expected. Bringing in an NL rider of 6pt average who hadnt ridden that year was never to score points. Yet he constantly pops out in heat 2 and gets his paid win.

For me, points aren't everything from reserve. He's been leading top riders like Proctor and Kennett which has allowed our heat leader to clear off for the win. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, northyorksbear said:

If you met him in person you would be amazed he could string coherent sentences together, I think his young children do the posting on here :rofl:

(Note to Yearbyred - Visually impaired!! (I haven't forgotten!)) :D 

Blaming me for what Mrs Yearbyred said? I agree with you about my boyish good looks!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

Blaming me for what Mrs Yearbyred said? I agree with you about my boyish good looks!

lol  You seemed to enjoy the comment too much :nono:

Anyway as we are on a week later can you now make the final??

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, northyorksbear said:

Anyway as we are on a week later can you now make the final??

May dust off the old RAC road map, yes.

This was probably the best meeting I've seen at BP and I'm not basing it on the result as a Lions fan either. We saw 14 riders giving everything and prepared to attack the track resulting in some great racing. I've said it before, too many riders seem to pick up on the negative opinions of the track and think that's an excuse to not have to chase down the rider in front. This meeting was far superior to the Premiership play offs in terms of entertainment witnessed on TV recently.  I expected us to haul the deficit back early doors and then kick on, but credit the Bears and their fans (noisy sods!) that made the trip.

• Like 4

On Sunday, October 13, 2019 at 12:50 PM, Marshall07 said:

Jack Smith didn't want to ride for Redcar. He also didn't make a good team player which is what has drawn this team together since the changes.

As for Tom, I think he's done more than was ever expected. Bringing in an NL rider of 6pt average who hadnt ridden that year was never to score points. Yet he constantly pops out in heat 2 and gets his paid win.

For me, points aren't everything from reserve. He's been leading top riders like Proctor and Kennett which has allowed our heat leader to clear off for the win. 

He's had 2 paid wins in 19 meetings in the 2nd heat and 1 second place with Greaves in 3rd , and points are everything, doesn't matter what riders he's leading it's where he's finishing after 4 laps is the problem 

12 hours ago, johnyson66 said:

He's had 2 paid wins in 19 meetings in the 2nd heat and 1 second place with Greaves in 3rd , and points are everything, doesn't matter what riders he's leading it's where he's finishing after 4 laps is the problem 

I disagree. If he gets in the way of an opposition heat leader, allowing our heat leader to win then that's a 2 point swing. He was never signed to score big points.

Even some of Greaves heat 2 wins have been helped by Tom popping out the gate and slowing the opposition down.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

I disagree. If he gets in the way of an opposition heat leader, allowing our heat leader to win then that's a 2 point swing. He was never signed to score big points.

Even some of Greaves heat 2 wins have been helped by Tom popping out the gate and slowing the opposition down.

While I accept you've got a valid opinion,  I just think we could have found a reserve who had some scope for more improvement,  would you be happy to have the same top 6 next season and keep Woolley or would you rather we found another reserve with a bit more promise,  haven't looked at the averages to see if that's possible by the way it's just a hypothetical question?  

44 minutes ago, johnyson66 said:

While I accept you've got a valid opinion,  I just think we could have found a reserve who had some scope for more improvement,  would you be happy to have the same top 6 next season and keep Woolley or would you rather we found another reserve with a bit more promise,  haven't looked at the averages to see if that's possible by the way it's just a hypothetical question?  

I don't think Tom will be back, but I hope he gets a NL spot off the back of his performances this year. I think at the time there really wasn't anyone wanting to make the step up as so many were quitting after finding it hard.

I'd expect someone like Dan Gilkes to take the step up next year and really hold his own.

(In regards to averages it looks like we'll have to make a change or two)

• Like 1