British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

Playoff Semi Final 1st Leg • Wolverhampton v Swindon (9•10)

As Jase said in his post match interview on BBC Radio Wiltshire wouldnt have been run if the tv cameras werent there.

43 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Dog you are spot on can you remember the Poole home match Claus scored only 1 point but rode well since then he has contributed very well an astute signing by Rosco.

Yeah remember that well as all of the lads I stand with said it was the best he had ridden by far despite only getting a point. Been scoring well ever since.

Oh dear , what an awful meeting to watch ....well done to all 14 riders for riding on that track , such a shame that all the hard work teams have put in throughout the season to get to the "play-offs"  had to come a semi-final like that last night :rolleyes:  Did the meeting really have to go ahead last night given it's still only 9th October , or more because the BT cameras were there ? Bitter pill to swallow for the Wolves fans ......

9 hours ago, Col said:

He certainly brought his Swedish playoff form to the GB playoffs, as I thought he would.

A wet track a leveller, let’s see what he does tonight.

8 hours ago, Col said:

Because Wolves riders can't set their bikes up for wet conditions?

Thorsell displayed his 2019 playoff form. Longitudinal & latitudinal lines were expectedly irrelevant to any sensible speedway observer.

Steve... Did I or did I not having watched the Eliteserin playoffs predict that Thorsell would perform equally as disappointingly for Wolves as he did for Dackarna? Which even you have to agree he did..

A wet track always takes away home advantage, as yet again proven last night. 

Thorssell looked very uncomfortable last night. Some riders either excel in the wet or don’t. A wet track takes away any known form.

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

On a dry track he would have been fine. 

Col says he wouldn’t, but of course I agree with you.

Feel sorry for Wolves, given normal track conditions they would have been much more competitive last night but it is what it is unfortunately for them. Swindon deserve credit for doing their job though. 

Those people moaning about the track and the racing had the choice to turn off as soon as they saw how wet the circuit was once the broadcast began so don’t really understand why you would watch it and then whinge. I do agree however that these meetings should be scheduled early in September and the whole thing over and done with long before now. I appreciate recent Octobers have been decent weather wise but with damper, shorter and cooler days compared to 4-5 weeks ago I think you run the risk of encountering problems the longer things drag on. I just hope both legs of the final have good weather as the rain has affected both semis (although not the Ipswich leg where Poole crumbled). 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

If I had won by 10-14 points away in the first leg I would 110% be celebrating making the final. It would take the chokiest chokes of chokesdon Hill for there to be an upset. Considering Swindon haven’t been beaten at home this season and have a huge lead, I think it’s safe to say the title is in the bag this season. Ipswich are no threat whatsoever.

But we beat the title favourites........who had a lack of bottle to ride in the wet and then couldnt handle the pressure in the away leg.............you had already won twice at Foxhall but when the pressure was on your manager couldnt motivate them and Ipswich wanted it more...............you even said you wanted to ride us every week lol

They got lucky with the conditions. Poole would have had 60+ had it not rained and played into the away sides hands.

Ipswich are zero threat to Swindon in the final. Two easy wins, just like tonight was for them.

How do you know how the first leg would have gone?

In those early heats Poole riders couldnt make a gate for toffee...........so if it was dry we could still have had a good lead

11 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Poole were no threat when the choked. Simple as. 

Poole bottled it big time............they won at Foxhall twice earlier in the season....and once with a weak team as Shovlar was very happy to point out many times........they go to Foxhall witrh a big lead and choked choked choked......

He isn’t going to get a ride there so needs to be in the third tier to start.

He already rides in Poland................you need to get facts before posting

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

Fun fact .... if you block Shovvy, this thread is only 15 pages and makes a lot of sense. 

Bitter or what eh ? 

The man is a troll ..and a laughing stock but its fun reading the crap he posts

• Like 3

The rain did make the meeting a bit of a leveller but in my opinion it was the expected result from my point of view

In July Swindon lost by 6 at Wolves........and had Bellego and Ayres riding and no Musilek

In April they lost by 2 at Wolves and had Lampart , Zach and Shanes riding

So yes i firmly believed that Swindon could and would win last night

Its funny when the Poole fans moan about bad weather.......seem to remember they were happy when they got to heat 10 against Belle Vue one year

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Feel sorry for Wolves, given normal track conditions they would have been much more competitive last night but it is what it is unfortunately for them. Swindon deserve credit for doing their job though. 

Those people moaning about the track and the racing had the choice to turn off as soon as they saw how wet the circuit was once the broadcast began so don’t really understand why you would watch it and then whinge. I do agree however that these meetings should be scheduled early in September and the whole thing over and done with long before now. I appreciate recent Octobers have been decent weather wise but with damper, shorter and cooler days compared to 4-5 weeks ago I think you run the risk of encountering problems the longer things drag on. I just hope both legs of the final have good weather as the rain has affected both semis (although not the Ipswich leg where Poole crumbled). 

So, presented with a totally unacceptable situation, we're supposed to meekly change channels and keep quiet? No. It doesn't work that way. Anyway, this isn't about the TV audience, it's about those who were relieved of nearly £20 on the night to watch a fiasco. 

When something is deeply wrong you do the sport a disservice by simply ignoring it. Those responsible have to be told quite firmly that this is NOT acceptable. We've had too many people either 'switching off' - for good or giving up attending live matches while those who are driving them away go unchallenged. 

There are 22 days left in the speedway season. Plenty of time to run four meetings without imposing last night's rip-off on increasingly disillusioned customers. If you spend a whjole season hyping up the play-offs to the detriment of the main season you HAVE to deliver, even if it takes six postponements before you get a usable track. 

I've seen 49 speedway Octobers so far and while you do get the odd run of bad weather I've seen plenty of clear months. I've even happily paid my money to watch speedway in November, once even for a challenge match!

Forcing a farce through for TV is far more damaging than calling it off. We have people constantly banging on about the sport being ruined by bad decision making yet we're supposed to just shrug our shoulders and turn away from last night? 

Forcing meetings through on unfit tracks was all very well when speedway was cheap.

It isn't now.

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 5

Same principle with those who paid to get in, the forecast was pretty clear. You pays your money and takes your choice. It was always going to be a quagmire. 

But I’m not disagreeing with whether the meeting should have happened or not. Unfortunately the window for getting these meetings raced is shrinking because British speedway is so disorganised and quite frankly a mess. We shouldn’t be scratching around in mid October trying to get semi finals raced. 

• Like 2

P155 poor camera work (or production) last night

Majority of starts were missed, trying to get arty-farty views, too much follow the leader close-ups

Was it a crew not versed in speedway as it was a rearranged date?

• Like 5

Overall I thought Wolves would win given their reserves but Douglas doesn't ride the track well anyway and worse when its wet, the Wolves riders seemed to struggle with conditions and it cost them. I would hope they give it everything tonight and Swindon need to guard against complacency.

10 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

P155 poor camera work (or production) last night

Majority of starts were missed, trying to get arty-farty views, too much follow the leader close-ups

Was it a crew not versed in speedway as it was a rearranged date?

Totally agree and this is becoming the norm. One of the reasons we go to watch speedway is because we can see ALL the action at once.....so why, oh why on the telly do they insist on showing close ups, having us miss some of the close racing and passing elsewhere.  It’s the same in the MotoGP.....Being televised, it allows us to see what the attending spectators can’t.....but when they show slow motion shots, close ups and riders walking back to the pits after a crash, we invariably miss an exciting change of position somewhere. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

did those people that had the choice to turn off the BT coverage really want to turn off the coverage , especially after paying for their their BT coverage ? 

but as mentioned earlier , if it was not on tv the meeting would have been off . . after all Rasser and Claus would not like to ride a track that you can make sand castles from !

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I pay every month of the year to watch BT for the Speedway so I'll whinge all I want, I wouldn't walk out a meeting once I paid the £20 so not going to switch the telly over either  ....the only reason they pushed that meeting through last night was the cameras were there , makes a complete farce out of the Play-offs even more so at the top level , shouldn't be surprised as British Speedway is a farce ......

• Like 2