British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

Playoff Semi Final 1st Leg • Wolverhampton v Swindon (9•10)

2 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

I pay every month of the year to watch BT for the Speedway so I'll whinge all I want, I wouldn't walk out a meeting once I paid the £20 so not going to switch the telly over either  ....the only reason they pushed that meeting through last night was the cameras were there , makes a complete farce out of the Play-offs even more so at the top level , shouldn't be surprised as British Speedway is a farce ......

20 quid to watch riders ride round in sludge, when under normal circumstances it wouldnt have run.. Id ask for a refund.  I feel Wolves were very hard done by, no home advantage whatsoever in circumstances like that.  And not a good advert for the play off's im affraid. But then again, BT was there..

• Like 1

Televised league speedway, live in the UK, is bad for the sport - for the promoters, the riders, the fans

Get rid - asap

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

20 quid to watch riders ride round in sludge, when under normal circumstances it wouldnt have run.. Id ask for a refund.  I feel Wolves were very hard done by, no home advantage whatsoever in circumstances like that.  And not a good advert for the play off's im affraid. But then again, BT was there..

But ok when sky were at Belle Vue when Poole needed a win to get in the play offs and the meeting was forced through to heat 10 to get a result........riders falling off all over the place, Janowski couldnt even turn the bike

But then again that was for Pooles benefit.........just a shame that the 2019 side couldnt ride in the wet.......or at Foxhall

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

I pay every month of the year to watch BT for the Speedway so I'll whinge all I want, I wouldn't walk out a meeting once I paid the £20 so not going to switch the telly over either  ....the only reason they pushed that meeting through last night was the cameras were there , makes a complete farce out of the Play-offs even more so at the top level , shouldn't be surprised as British Speedway is a farce ......

The subscription thing is a fair point, but did you expect anything other than what it was? The issue that we should all be complaining about is the authorities leaving it so late in the season so there was no choice other than to run in on a wet night. 

• Like 1

Funny isn't it. We see all the time how in the "good old day"s riders used to ride in the wet because those were, like, the "good old days".

Then, when it happens now, everyone complains about it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bit of a farce last night. Others have suggesting rushing through the season to ensure play-off in summer. I am not sure we need to go that far, but without questions play-off's should NOT be in October.   Yes some years will be lucky with dry weather, but it will be cold. But this is the UK and October likely to give rain in October more often than not.

I would suggest we ensure all league fixtures completed by the middle of August, with the play off's in late August/September. Yes it can rain in September too, but there's better chance of dry and warmer weather than October.  October can be used for backup if September does prove to be a washout.

• Like 3

I didn't watch it, so didn't the riders say the track is unfit for racing? Were they and the ref forced by someone to race and let it be raced? 

Surely it's not BT that say if a meeting goes ahead or not? Was the bspa chairman there insisting it goes ahead? 

Normally everyone is worried about rider safety,, why were they not worried last night? 

First of all, my compliments to all the riders for giving it a go. As a spectacle it was a horror show both if you were there in person or watching on TV. I understand, to a degree, why it went ahead but it must be so disappointing for Wolves fans in particular, to see a seasons' work effectively decided on a track which would have declared unfit under any other circumstances.

Agree, the camera angles were really weird and show no understanding of how races should be portrayed. Parts of the track looked really dark, unusual where TV cameras normally compensate well for poor illumination. I don't recall that being an issue in other Wolves televised meetings (bend 2 was really dark last night).

I suppose the one saving grace, if there is one, is that only speedway fans would have been watching and any supporter of a few years standing would not have been surprised by last night's events.

Edited by TonyE

11 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

So do tv now run british speedway.  Surely they must do if it wouldn't have gone ahead if not there

Not sure it was just about tv . the rain started at 7.10 with a large crowd already inside the stadium massive on wolves to get a match on . I think us fans sometimes lose sight of the money side of the sport and what impact calling off a match has .

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Funny isn't it. We see all the time how in the "good old day"s riders used to ride in the wet because those were, like, the "good old days".

Then, when it happens now, everyone complains about it.

They put sawdust on the track first, and riders donned overalls to protect their leathers

I have to say that I was particularly impressed with Luke Becker's performance. He made a nonsense of the track conditions against Troy Batchelor and again later in the meeting. I'm not saying the track condition was not bad. Clearly it was horrible. But the decision was to run the meeting. Be it the crowd, the TV or the lateness in the season, it was going ahead. Congratulations to all those riders who just said to themselves, "Let's go".

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hyabb17 said:

I’d happily have Perks in my 2020 side 

Good for you. All I am saying is fans from at least 4 other clubs want Douglas in their team. 

15 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Sorry thought i was only trying to help . Why the verbal volley ? would you say it to my face ?

Yep!! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Wrong!  I said months ago that Perks would be the first name on my team sheet next season

Okay, I will rephrase, only Swindon fans want him atm. More want Douglas, which was my whole point.