British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

Playoff Semi Final 1st Leg • Wolverhampton v Swindon (9•10)

28 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Well first they may moan, then they stop going, like the thousands and thousands before them, than the last few happy clappers won't have any speedway to watch. 

Oh and what about the  20k, after a little shower, actually that's normally the riders getting it called off then 

What match are you  talking about with this little shower and the riders calling it off ?  as I already explained it's common sense the bigger the meeting  the more effort there  is going to be to run it.  if they had called it off you would had people on here saying modern riders can't race on wet tracks etc .

Edited by orion

1 hour ago, orion said:

So if you were going to say 20k of your own money  you would call the meeting off ? I doubt that you would as I said  before speedway fans tend to have little idea of the money side of the sport .

it's stands to reason once the tv is there and a big crowd is inside a lot more effort is going to put in to the run the meeting it's just common sense . with speedway fans you are never going to win to be honest they just moan .

I don't think there would have been any complaints from those in the stadium if it was called off given the rain that came down. 

Nor from those on TV when they saw all the water on the track.

5 hours ago, TonyE said:

First of all, my compliments to all the riders for giving it a go. As a spectacle it was a horror show both if you were there in person or watching on TV. I understand, to a degree, why it went ahead but it must be so disappointing for Wolves fans in particular, to see a seasons' work effectively decided on a track which would have declared unfit under any other circumstances.

Agree, the camera angles were really weird and show no understanding of how races should be portrayed. Parts of the track looked really dark, unusual where TV cameras normally compensate well for poor illumination. I don't recall that being an issue in other Wolves televised meetings (bend 2 was really dark last night).

I suppose the one saving grace, if there is one, is that only speedway fans would have been watching and any supporter of a few years standing would not have been surprised by last night's events.

There was a floodlight out on bend 2.

I noticed it a few meetings ago and it certainly hasn't been fixed. I've no idea why not 

15 hours ago, orion said:

So if you were going to say 20k of your own money  you would call the meeting off ? I doubt that you would as I said  before speedway fans tend to have little idea of the money side of the sport .

it's stands to reason once the tv is there and a big crowd is inside a lot more effort is going to put in to the run the meeting it's just common sense . with speedway fans you are never going to win to be honest they just moan .

One of the most valid points made on here. Rained off meetings are an absolute killer for promotions.

It's what speedway fans do best. They moan when there are not fixtures every week from March to October. They moan it's too wet or cold in March and October. They moan that the big meetings are held at the end of the season. They moan when there are "meaningless" meetings at the end of the season. They moan when meetings are called off that riders didn't give it a go. They moan when meetings go ahead that the racing isn't up to standard. They moan about meetings being on TV. They moan that TV doesn't get as much TV exposure as other sports.

• Like 7

I quite enjoyed watching it, seeing how some of the riders adapted and used their mind and skill, compared to those who are just throttle jockeys. 

9 hours ago, topsoil said:

One of the most valid points made on here. Rained off meetings are an absolute killer for promotions.

It's what speedway fans do best. They moan when there are not fixtures every week from March to October. They moan it's too wet or cold in March and October. They moan that the big meetings are held at the end of the season. They moan when there are "meaningless" meetings at the end of the season. They moan when meetings are called off that riders didn't give it a go. They moan when meetings go ahead that the racing isn't up to standard. They moan about meetings being on TV. They moan that TV doesn't get as much TV exposure as other sports.

Sorry I don't mean to moan, but could you spell out exactly what you mean, surely speedway fans don't moan ? :rolleyes: