Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cityrebel

Eastbourne v Birmingham 28/9/19

29 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

That's a statement of fact, not an opinion. If it was an opinion, he would have said: I think Richard (that's Lawson, not me, but I'm willing to give it a go:rofl:) should ride for us

Think you'll find in the mind of a premiership boss, opinion and statement of fact are actually the same thing!:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Speedway needs an independent body or panel with no ties to any club and the head someone with experience but no ties. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gazzac said:

What really grates is the nonchalant way the bspa and premiership clubs walk over lower league clubs and their fans almost enjoying it in the process. 

Do they? Not so sure myself. 

This ‘us versus them’ attitude does speedway no good at all, speedway won’t get any better until everyone pulls in the same direction. This decision is based on common sense, yes we can criticise why the situation has come to this point but now it has this decision is by far the most sensible. And it would be if Eastbourne were in a Play Off match the same night as Ipswich were racing a dead rubber meeting on a Premiership race night and Lawson rode for the Eagles. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Do they? Not so sure myself. 

This ‘us versus them’ attitude does speedway no good at all, speedway won’t get any better until everyone pulls in the same direction. This decision is based on common sense, yes we can criticise why the situation has come to this point but now it has this decision is by far the most sensible. And it would be if Eastbourne were in a Play Off match the same night as Ipswich were racing a dead rubber meeting on a Premiership race night and Lawson rode for the Eagles. 

Don't think you read all my post, I said he should ride for Ipswich , just the arrogant way it's perceived to be done.

And who's to say that after tomorrow the Ipswich meeting won't be a 'dead rubber' ? Obviously we don't know but if Ipswich get hammered at Wimborne Road then the 2nd leg could be just as pointless.

Anyway, shouldn't teams should be declared 5 days in advance, which means the respective promotions should be publishing sides very soon.

31 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Don't think you read all my post, I said he should ride for Ipswich , just the arrogant way it's perceived to be done.

Your first line stated that the rule book should be adhered to which I took as meaning he should ride for Eastie?

15 minutes ago, woofers said:

And who's to say that after tomorrow the Ipswich meeting won't be a 'dead rubber' ? Obviously we don't know but if Ipswich get hammered at Wimborne Road then the 2nd leg could be just as pointless.

But it won’t be a mathematically dead rubber whatever happens tomorrow night. The fact is that neither Eastbourne or Brum can affect the Championship Play Offs on Saturday night. 

I think the rule book should be adhered to otherwise as said no point in having one, but I'm sure Eastie would and should have done the honorable thing  for Lawson and let him ride for Ipswich, but at least it would have been their decision within the rules laid out.

2 minutes ago, gazzac said:

I think the rule book should be adhered to otherwise as said no point in having one, but I'm sure Eastie would and should have done the honorable thing  for Lawson and let him ride for Ipswich, but at least it would have been their decision within the rules laid out.

Taking the rule as written, it would not be in Eastbourne's gift to be 'honourable' and 'let him [Lawson] ride for Ipswich'.

Art 16.1.1 Priority will be given to riders participating in the SGB Premiership League on Mondays and Thursdays. Priority will be given to riders participating in the SGB Championship League on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Taking the rule as written, it would not be in Eastbourne's gift to be 'honourable' and 'let him [Lawson] ride for Ipswich'.

Art 16.1.1 Priority will be given to riders participating in the SGB Premiership League on Mondays and Thursdays. Priority will be given to riders participating in the SGB Championship League on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Surely, Lawson has to ride for Eastie then.

14 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Surely, Lawson has to ride for Eastie then.

Yep. As per the rules.

I'll  be pleased if he rides for Eastie on Saturday but think its evens Ipswich, 2/1 Eastie at the moment.

1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

I did mean 'honorable ' to Richard, although I'd  prefer to see him Saturday at Arlington, I'm sure he'd rather be at a play off semi, although maybe he'd rather be at Eastie if they're already 20 behind. 

Edited by gazzac

Just now, gazzac said:

I did mean 'honorable ' to Richard, although I'd  prefer to see him Sat at Arlington, I'm sure he'd rather be at a play off semi, although he'd probably rather be at Eastie if they're already 20 behind. 

I understood what you meant, I was simply pointing out that there is nothing in the rule that gives Eastbourne the flexibility to ‘allow’ Richard Lawson to ride elsewhere.