British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mike0310

Plymouth speedway

Plymouth have submitted an application to join the league above  for next year, the press release is on there forum.

Bold move as the status of the leagues above is largely unknown at present and feels like a last roll of the dice for the current promotion.

• Like 1

I’m assuming so as they are saying they are going to be up grading the track and supporters areas so the money must be coming from somewhere I’m over the moon about it.

Me thinks a very clever man is whispering in their ears when it comes to the business side of speedway.

• Like 1

Good to see the ambition of the promotion, good luck to them I hope they succeed.

• Like 3

That will probably force the hands of stand alone clubs IOW, Kent and Mildenhall to do likewise or fold i would suspect?

11 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

That will probably force the hands of stand alone clubs IOW, Kent and Mildenhall to do likewise or fold i would suspect?

Hard to see a future for NDL??

Kent can only go PL surely? (Mondays)

IOW crowds just can't support any higher level despite great Presentation?

Mildenhall surrounded by Buster Clubs?

BV Colts / Leicester Cubs?

Plymouth brave move need bigger crowds / commercial income ?

Rye House any news?

Even if fans come back to watch higher league racing, they still want to see a winning team. The current promotion can’t do that in the NL so I can’t see why they could do it in the Championship. Look at the Masons and their abysmal Championship results. A big risk imo.

Alternatively they could be thinking it’s the Championship or bust as fans wont watch to pay to watch a 4/5 team glorified MDL level NL. Worrying times for the league. 

Edited by Islander15

14 hours ago, TurnTwo said:

Very brave too. Can the crowdsize comprehend the added costs? Only the promotion will know

I am not quite sure brave is the word.

The last promotion at Championship level folded having made losses in every season. The present promotion are reportedly losing money hand over fist at NL level.

Most of the league is based north of Manchester, with only Somerset within 200 miles. Travelling expenses will be huge.

Attracting riders to drive to the far south west - on a Friday night - will be a problem that could result in higher pay than normal. 

They will certainly have to work on the track preparation side, because Championship riders are far less forgiving than NL ones.

They'll also have to work hard on the PR, because the attitude seems to be that criticism - from anyone and of any kind - is unacceptable. That's not good enough and requires a sea change.

Having said all that, SBA cam be a fantastic race track and I have seen some brilliant speedway there at Championship level in particular, and I have always thought that a city the size of Plymouth could and should attract gates big enough to substantially support a Championship team. Very best of luck to the club and the promotion.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I am not quite sure brave is the word.

The last promotion at Championship level folded having made losses in every season. The present promotion are reportedly losing money hand over fist at NL level.

Most of the league is based north of Manchester, with only Somerset within 200 miles. Travelling expenses will be huge.

Attracting riders to drive to the far south west - on a Friday night - will be a problem that could result in higher pay than normal. 

They will certainly have to work on the track preparation side, because Championship riders are far less forgiving than NL ones.

They'll also have to work hard on the PR, because the attitude seems to be that criticism - from anyone and of any kind - is unacceptable. That's not good enough and requires a sea change.

Having said all that, SBA cam be a fantastic race track and I have seen some brilliant speedway there at Championship level in particular, and I have always thought that a city the size of Plymouth could and should attract gates big enough to substantially support a Championship team. Very best of luck to the club and the promotion.

Reportedly losing money hand over fist!Where has this been reported and by who,or is it just you and your know all attitude spreading gossip again, plus they have stated a change of race night would be required, I believe possibly a Tues or Saturday nite are being muted but not confirmed  however thier is alot of hoops to jump through before being accepted so nothing is definite atm.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lewy said:

Reportedly losing money hand over fist!Where has this been reported and by who,or is it just you and your know all attitude spreading gossip again, plus they have stated a change of race night would be required, I believe possibly a Tues or Saturday nite are being muted but not confirmed  however thier is alot of hoops to jump through before being accepted so nothing is definite atm.

A Tuesday night has been proposed. How can a Tuesday night bring in more fans than the current Friday night? Seems a massive financial risk to me. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

A Tuesday night has been proposed. How can a Tuesday night bring in more fans than the current Friday night? Seems a massive financial risk to me. 

I support a Wednesday track and a lot of fans at our Club prefer midweek as so many other attractions on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday especially family related.

Ask Barry Bishop why he races on a Wednesday and not a Friday or Saturday??

OK ours is a a centrally based City but Coastal place like Plymouth can be a mare to get to down m5 in summer due to holiday traffic and also have to consider tourists may be more likely to go midweek as come and go on weekends.

There are already 2-3-4 CL Clubs running on gates of 400-500 and surviving, if Plymouth could get 500 they could do OK.

Depends on building a compact team that can win at home at right price. Scunthorpe spring to mind as kind of crowd/team budget to aim at speedway wise.

Maybe Rob Godfrey can advise them.

• Like 1

The Isle of Wight operate on Thursdays. It has been stated that they have to run midweek to get the discounts on ferry travel for riders, officials and supporters at what is an off-peak time for Wightlink. That's a bad choice of example. 

• Like 2