Sign in to follow this  
Mike0310

Plymouth speedway

3 hours ago, WembleyLion said:

1 53.13    2 52.44    3 53.00    4 52.12  

5 52.50    6 52.87     7 54.43   8 No time

9 52.84   10 53.81    11 53.75   12 52.86

13 52.50   14 53.75   15 52.93  

Thank you very much. It's appreciated. I may be asking the same question after tomorrow's meeting. :wink:

• Like 1

Really looking forward to this meeting. 

PLYMOUTH: Alfie Bowtell, Chad Wirtzfeld, Jason Edwards, Richard Andrews, Henry Atkins, Arran Butcher, Sheldon Davies.

GB YOUNG LIONS SELECT: Jordan Palin, Alex Spooner, Dan Thompson, Joe Thompson, Tom Brennan, Harry McGurk, Archie Freeman.

First chance to see McGurk and Freeman in action.

Fingers crossed that todays Covid announcements wont affect next weeks meeting v Leicester Lion Cubs. Will the October meetings go ahead, even if behind closed doors? If minimal crowds are allowed in, I will be there!

Edited by BobC

7 hours ago, BobC said:

Really looking forward to this meeting. 

PLYMOUTH: Alfie Bowtell, Chad Wirtzfeld, Jason Edwards, Richard Andrews, Henry Atkins, Arran Butcher, Sheldon Davies.

GB YOUNG LIONS SELECT: Jordan Palin, Alex Spooner, Dan Thompson, Joe Thompson, Tom Brennan, Harry McGurk, Archie Freeman.

First chance to see McGurk and Freeman in action.

Fingers crossed that todays Covid announcements wont affect next weeks meeting v Leicester Lion Cubs. Will the October meetings go ahead, even if behind closed doors? If minimal crowds are allowed in, I will be there!

Hi Bob. Can you let me know how Archie rode. Personal interest in him.  

Great meeting, track was excellent and new lighting in the Coliseum adding to ever improving facilities 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Hi Bob. Can you let me know how Archie rode. Personal interest in him.  

Of course Dave, no problem.

Very unlucky to fall while leading HT2,coming off bend 4 on the 3rd lap.Race awarded. A comfortable 3rd in Ht4, easily seeing off Butcher. Ht8 comfortable 3rd, before Davies retired.Ht14,once again a comfortable 3rd. His scores were FX,1+1,1+1, 1= 3+2. Could so easily have been 6+2.

Loved his compact,neat and tidy style, he gives the impression of someone more experienced. Thoroughly enjoyed his efforts.

You can see hes been tutored well.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed tonight great job from Mark Phillips and his team and so great riding,special mention to Henry and Alfie great jobs lads and thanks.

18 minutes ago, BobC said:

Of course Dave, no problem.

Very unlucky to fall while leading HT2,coming off bend 4 on the 3rd lap.Race awarded. A comfortable 3rd in Ht4, easily seeing off Butcher. Ht8 comfortable 3rd, before Davies retired.Ht14,once again a comfortable 3rd. His scores were FX,1+1,1+1, 1= 3+2. Could so easily have been 6+2.

Loved his compact,neat and tidy style, he gives the impression of someone more experienced. Thoroughly enjoyed his efforts.

You can see hes been tutored well.

Many thanks for that BOB. Yes he's a tidy rider, and I told him to ride it like Brough, but with much shorter straights. Amazing that he has completed two meetings since a horror crash on Saturday at Edinburgh. Following Harry Mc he decide to take him, but Harry locked up and Archie clipped his back wheel and he  hurtled into the airfence square on. He fortunately tried to jump off the back, otherwise it could have been really serious. Very mature kid at 15, he's at least a year behind the rest of the Lions Select team. Look out for his progress. 

Hope you are well, and it would have been nice to come down with Archie, and see you at the same time. Maybe next year, take care.

• Like 1

I said last time that I would happily congratulate Mark Phillips in person on a meeting well controlled. I did exactly that last night. 

This meeting was just as efficiently organised as last week. The new lighting for the fans is superb.Makes a huge difference. The only time I left my seat was for the loo and get a tea from the track shop on bend 4. Once at ground level, looking up at the lights really sets the arena off. Quite impressive.

My only complaint about the evening is that, apart from referee Christina Turnbulls howler in heat 10, theres nothing to complain about!  Everything so far is right on the money. 

Christina got ht10 completely wrong. She excluded Joe Thompson for foul riding on Alfie Bowtell. It wasnt, it was his brother Dan! Going into bend 3,Dan tried an inside lunge on Alfie. It didnt work and they touched, with Alfie falling. Incredibly, her decision was to exclude the innocent Joe who was minding his own business in 3rd place! Baffled everyone around us.

Good to hear the dulcet tones of Rob Dyer acting as Master of ceremonies. That said, he did get the Thompson boys the wrong way round in ht3 and 7. Thats why clarification of the lads points were called for.

Another very enjoyable meeting from start to finish. Well done Mark and his team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BobC said:

I said last time that I would happily congratulate Mark Phillips in person on a meeting well controlled. I did exactly that last night. 

This meeting was just as efficiently organised as last week. The new lighting for the fans is superb.Makes a huge difference. The only time I left my seat was for the loo and get a tea from the track shop on bend 4. Once at ground level, looking up at the lights really sets the arena off. Quite impressive.

My only complaint about the evening is that, apart from referee Christina Turnbulls howler in heat 10, theres nothing to complain about!  Everything so far is right on the money. 

Christina got ht10 completely wrong. She excluded Joe Thompson for foul riding on Alfie Bowtell. It wasnt, it was his brother Dan! Going into bend 3,Dan tried an inside lunge on Alfie. It didnt work and they touched, with Alfie falling. Incredibly, her decision was to exclude the innocent Joe who was minding his own business in 3rd place! Baffled everyone around us.

Good to hear the dulcet tones of Rob Dyer acting as Master of ceremonies. That said, he did get the Thompson boys the wrong way round in ht3 and 7. Thats why clarification of the lads points were called for.

Another very enjoyable meeting from start to finish. Well done Mark and his team.

Couldn't agree more Bob C.

My first visit to Plymouth for a few years (last time NL with Brummies) and was very impressed.

From the minute I walked in to hand over my e-ticket and be ticked off a list and given a nice free 8 page race Card everyone was friendly and courteous. Very well signed and stewards available but not in your face. I sat quite high up in the new Stand and the view was excellent. Lots of friendly locals and a few from visiting teams too.

The Announcer i recognised as Rob Dyer and there was also a Centre Green announcer (I was told he is from "The Speedway Chat Show") an Australian guy who was superb, involving kids in guessing race times, handing out prizes, some in race commentary and a few rider and Promoter interviews too.

There seemed to be a film crew there and one of the Officials who I believe was Ian Jordan explained they were filming a documentary for the Club. It just added to the feeling that this was a National League Club behaving like a Premier league Club.

I'd remembered the track as dry and bumpy from my last visit and read a lot of adverse criticism last season. Last night it looked and rode smooth and a lovely dirt line later on delivered some stunning action. I've never seen Henry Atkins ride as well, Bowtell looked very assured and several of the Young Lions, especially the twins did very well. Brennan and Palin seemed very subdued on the night, may be exertions catching up with them.

Not a tractor in sight all night; just a bit of watering near the end although there was a bit of drizzle and the first 12 heats in well under an hour. Some sidecars to finish too.

I can't remember seeing a meeting there under lights before but they explained they are renewing all Track lights with LED and track was very well lit already. A local told me that they have added lights at back of the Stand for safety and supporter benefit since the last meeting too. 

I ended the night by having a fantastic Polish sausage roll at an open air BBQ, served by a Polish chap I got chatting to who told me Plymouth are very friendly towards his Community.

The Referee howler was quite funny, didn't spoil the night or the result fortunately.

My only disappointment was the realisation driving home listening to the Radio was that this may be the last live meeting with a Crowd in 2020. A shame because so much effort is being put in there.

I'd love to go back and see the Brummies down there and hopefully this upwardly mobile Club can get the stage their efforts really do deserve.

10/10 Thank you everyone at Plymouth Speedway for restoring my faith.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

To add to my feedback, I've just had this email from The Ticketing Company and Plymouth Speedway, professional with a capital P.

Light years away from the horrendous experience I'm still having with Paypal and the British Final Organisers I might add, that was before the announcement its now streaming only by the way.

From Plymouth and their Ticket Agent this morning-:

In the light of the news of further Covid 19 Restrictions announced by the Government on Tuesday 22nd September, most of which come in to place on Thursday 24th September, we will consult with The BSPL/SCB/Local Authority and the DCMS (Department of Culture Media and Sport) in the next 24-48 hours to seek official guidance as to whether we can stage any further Fixtures in 2020.

We would like to thank all Riders, Officials; Supporters and Sponsors for their assistance in completing the match between the Gladiators and Young Lions last night and especially the BSPL / SCB / Local Authority and our local MP Gary Streeter for their assistance in interpreting the announcements made at 12.30pm on the day of the Event by the Prime Minister; to ensure that we could make an informed decision as to whether we were able to race last night or not.

We will update everyone as soon as we have clear concise and accurate information about the possibility and legality of further planned Fixtures in 2020 taking place.

Regards

Plymouth Gladiators Speedway

Plymouth's communications have been superb throughout the last month. The fact that in the middle of covid (with so many extra things to do) they were able to respond to complaints about lighting and respond by making improvements before the next meeting is quite a contrast with some clubs who can't even fix a PA system after three years of fans moaning.

• Like 5

On 9/21/2020 at 9:01 AM, sandking072 said:

Don't suppose anyone would have the race times for the three team tournament, would they? Can't find them anywhere. Many thanks in advance.

On 9/21/2020 at 12:38 PM, WembleyLion said:

1 53.13    2 52.44    3 53.00    4 52.12  

5 52.50    6 52.87     7 54.43   8 No time

9 52.84   10 53.81    11 53.75   12 52.86

13 52.50   14 53.75   15 52.93  

On 9/21/2020 at 4:34 PM, sandking072 said:

Thank you very much. It's appreciated. I may be asking the same question after tomorrow's meeting. :wink:

Hope you don't mind me asking the question again. :wink:

1 hour ago, sandking072 said:

Hope you don't mind me asking the question again. :wink:

1. 52.21    2.No time Awarded    3.52.75    4.53.06    5.54.59    6.53.78    7.52.28    8.52.00

9.52.44    10. No time Awarded    11.52.00    12.52.28     13.52.91    14.53.53    15.52.71

There were 4 x 500cc sidecar  races afterwards, but didnt record any details myself.

• Like 1

Very well done to all at Plymouth Speedway for putting on another great show.       

I am really enjoying my 450 mile round trips down to Devon and back and judging by the number of other familiar faces, many of whom were also at Scunthorpe on Sunday, there are quite a few long distance travellers making the most of these socially distanced meetings.

Let’s hope they can run next week also.

Edited by WembleyLion
  • Like 1

Grassroots football has been given the green light to continue with fans inside stadiums. Why should speedway be any different.