British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mike0310

Plymouth speedway

Plymouth no longer appear in the list of National League teams which is not good news for the National League. I feel very worried about Isle of Wight and Mildenhall as they are now the only tracks without a team in a higher division.

Congratulations to Plymouth, So where does this leave the NL especially the 2 stand alone tracks ?, I have been out of the loop for a while but understood some of the Profesional Teams were looking to run teams in the NL, however the big questions will be of what standard of rider will a more NL Development League  consist of, and will the fixtures consist of a second half type meeting for the majority of profesional Teams ? those in my opinion will be the main discussion points for the NL/NDL to decide, I believe that the standard of rider can be overcome, but have serious doubts that Mildenhall and the IOW would be viable should the majority of profesional Teams decide to have there NDL Teams as a second half of a main meeting, when i say viable i mean in the way that both these teams will be in the lap of the gods when it comes to curfews and such like should the meetings be basically a second half, and i cant see the majority of profesional teams wanting to put on NDL meetings as a fixture in itself. All in all worrying times for Mildenhall and the IOW as we as a Sport simply cannot afford to lose any more Teams from the Sport especially two Teams that have been mainstays of the NL for a number of years, the NL coordinator has some big big decisions to make but has his hands tied by the profesional teams being able to say this is what we want take it or leave it, and should they leave it then its impossible to make up a League with only two Teams.. once again Congratulations to Plymouth on being accepted to the profesional ranks I just hope there can be a way forward for the NDL.

• Like 1

Great to see Plymouth joining Kent in the Championship.

Plymouth talking to `several International superstars` ????

Really! 

if the Championship was a proper 2nd division and not a slightly diluted 1st div  Mildy and IOW could join

I went to Plymouth last season to one of the Meetings they put on.

The Stadium improvements are excellent and the Track that had been so poor the year before delivered some great Racing. 

The whole experience was fantastic and some new arrivals to the Promoting Team seem to have put their mark on the supporter interaction and also the e-mail Ticketing system in particular which was excellent

• Like 1

Feel very sorry for the Plymouth riders who were signed up and have spent out ready for the approaching season. I hope all the fans who called for "superior" CL racing actually attend. Personally Plymouth have dipped in and out of the NL when it suits them and only them. I just hope for all involved theybwont be back.

5 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Feel very sorry for the Plymouth riders who were signed up and have spent out ready for the approaching season. I hope all the fans who called for "superior" CL racing actually attend. Personally Plymouth have dipped in and out of the NL when it suits them and only them. I just hope for all involved theybwont be back.

Don't talk crap no riders were signed up as they didn't know what league they were going to be in,as for hoping they won't be back i Don't think the nl is in a position to turn anyone down in fact I,m sure if Plymouth were to run nl aswell they would be more than welcome. 

• Like 2

if they ran on a weekend and maybe a 3/4 o’clock  start they could run double headers i think newcastle are going to do this and add extra onto the entry fee if it feasible 

5 minutes ago, lewy said:

Don't talk crap no riders were signed up as they didn't know what league they were going to be in,as for hoping they won't be back i Don't think the nl is in a position to turn anyone down in fact I,m sure if Plymouth were to run nl aswell they would be more than welcome. 

That's not strictly right a young rider who I have sponsored in the past approached me recently regarding this season for help. I specifically asked the question as to whether the uncertainty over which league they were going to be in affected national league place . He told me he had double checked and were still running so all was good. 
wonder who is bending the truth.

:nono:

2 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

That's not strictly right a young rider who I have sponsored in the past approached me recently regarding this season for help. I specifically asked the question as to whether the uncertainty over which league they were going to be in affected national league place . He told me he had double checked and were still running so all was good. 
wonder who is bending the truth.

:nono:

Who was the rider?

1 hour ago, lewy said:

Charming reply bet the CL section can't wait to have you back. 

Riders were signed and announced for the 2020 season and most have rolled over to this year. 

I wish Plymouth and the promotion all the success in the CL but barring IOW i question how many will genuinely miss the treks to Plymouth.

The promotion at Plymouth speedway have stepped things up there in the last couple of years so moving back up into the 2nd tier did always look like the plan.

Hope it works out but they could run into the same problems the club had before in the 2nd tier in that attracting riders to one of the Countries furthest speedway outposts could be an issue?

It'd be nice if Plymouth also run a team in the NL but understandable if they don't.

The NL director said in this weeks SS that all teams due to run last year have said they want to run again in 2021, theirs been interest from other senior tracks in entering teams and a team that would be a standalone track has also expressed an interest. This indicates a new track or a defunct track reopening - Workington?, Oxford? - Bradford?

One must remember that in 1998 the 3rd tier went down to 5 teams but it survived.

I just hope that plans to water the League down to more of a development League don't materialise cause its unnecessary and counter productive.

We want to see Britain produce more riders capable of competing on the World stage, and the best way for riders to develop is by racing in a decent standard. Top prospects beating "wobblers" by half a lap won't bring them on quicker.

Novice riders making their first steps up into League racing have the Development Leagues below the NL and theirs also numerous amatuer  meetings to hone racing skills. 

Also the NL has been a safety net option for standalone tracks that have struggled in the higher Divisions and for new centres to test the water. Take away this safety net by reducing the Division to a free for all try out for novices and you'd likely lose the likes of the IOW, Mildenhall, Plymouth, Birmingham, Eastbourne and others over the years cause attracting viable crowds to watch it would be difficult. Take away Plymouth, Eastbourne and the Brummies from the 2nd tier and you'd now be looking at the top 2 Leagues amalgamating. 

Edited by 25yearfan

5 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Charming reply bet the CL section can't wait to have you back. 

Riders were signed and announced for the 2020 season and most have rolled over to this year. 

I wish Plymouth and the promotion all the success in the CL but barring IOW i question how many will genuinely miss the treks to Plymouth.

With respect I do t think any rider who signed up for 2020 can have too much complaint if they are not required in 2021 with all that has happened in between. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

The promotion at Plymouth speedway have stepped things up there in the last couple of years so moving back up into the 2nd tier did always look like the plan.

Hope it works out but they could run into the same problems the club had before in the 2nd tier in that attracting riders to one of the Countries furthest speedway outposts could be an issue?

It'd be nice if Plymouth also run a team in the NL but understandable if they don't.

The NL director said in this weeks SS that all teams due to run last year have said they want to run again in 2021, theirs been interest from other senior tracks in entering teams and a team that would be a standalone track has also expressed an interest. This indicates a new track or a defunct track reopening - Workington?, Oxford? - Bradford?

One must remember that in 1998 the 3rd tier went down to 5 teams but it survived.

I just hope that plans to water the League down to more of a development League don't materialise cause its unnecessary and counter productive.

We want to see Britain produce more riders capable of competing on the World stage, and the best way for riders to develop is by racing in a decent standard. Top prospects beating "wobblers" by half a lap won't bring them on quicker.

Novice riders making their first steps up into League racing have the Development Leagues below the NL and theirs also numerous amatuer  meetings to hone racing skills. 

Also the NL has been a safety net option for standalone tracks that have struggled in the higher Divisions and for new centres to test the water. Take away this safety net by reducing the Division to a free for all try out for novices and you'd likely lose the likes of the IOW, Mildenhall, Plymouth, Birmingham, Eastbourne and others over the years cause attracting viable crowds to watch it would be difficult. Take away Plymouth, Eastbourne and the Brummies from the 2nd tier and you'd now be looking at the top 2 Leagues amalgamating. 

Could the stand alone track be Buxton coming back now Sheffield are no longer riding on Sundays?

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Could the stand alone track be Buxton coming back now Sheffield are no longer riding on Sundays?

Oh yes I forgot about them!

It'd be great to see the Buxton Hitmen back in the League!

• Like 3