British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2020

To all involved in British Speedway.
As you may have read by now through club statements it is with deep regret that I have had to pull out of competing in British Speedway in 2021, due to the current situation with regards to Covid19, there can be no guarantees regarding the number of meetings that will take place and unfortunately this has cost me my place in British Speedway for 2021
It is a simple case of not being in a position to afford to race professionally after the financial losses of 2020, as an Aussie I am unable to support myself financially in the UK as Visa restrictions do not allow me to work other than race Speedway, and therefor if the season of 2021 is cancelled then I can not guarantee that I would be in a position to return home, plus even if I managed to get home there is a compulsory quarantine at a cost of around $3500.
It is extremely disappointing that I will miss the 2021 season, I believe I have improved as a rider over the past few seasons and still believe that I have the ability to play a key role in British Speedway, I genuinely enjoy all aspects of being able to compete in British Speedway and I will be spending all my time throughout the remainder of this year to come back in 2022, please understand that having to take a year out of racing is not what any rider wants to do but I want everyone involved in British Speedway to understand that I am 100% committed to British racing when circumstances allow.
I still have a long journey ahead in this sport and racing in the UK is a key aspect of this journey.
I want to wish everyone a safe and enjoyable season in 2021, and I will see everyone soon.
All the best,
Jake Allen.

Just now, ScunnyDan said:

Taken from Jake's facebook page.... Schlein in perhaps

No he's nailed on for poole plus Nige Franklin hates him :rofl:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, lewy said:

Was jake going to double up? Did he have a Premier league spot aswell?

Ipswich I believe 

• Thanks 1

Shame Ipswich and Scunny can't lend him a few grand so he could prove he could get back to Australia. After all none of Australian riders will fly in until they are sure the season is on. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, eric i said:

Shame Ipswich and Scunny can't lend him a few grand so he could prove he could get back to Australia. After all none of Australian riders will fly in until they are sure the season is on. 

In covid world we can never be certain. What if it is announced that the season is starting, and there is then a further problem with covid and crowd restrictions are reintroduced?

It happened to professional football and it happened to the British Final at Ipswich.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

In covid world we can never be certain. What if it is announced that the season is starting, and there is then a further problem with covid and crowd restrictions are reintroduced?

It happened to professional football and it happened to the British Final at Ipswich.

That was going from summer to winter, this will be the opposite way round. I agree its not 100% but I think its a risk Scunny and Ipswich could take.

7 hours ago, eric i said:

That was going from summer to winter, this will be the opposite way round. I agree its not 100% but I think its a risk Scunny and Ipswich could take.

But how many grand would they have to lend / give him? Jake stated that he made a loss in 2020 so he would be looking for a guaranteed of a full season and/or a guaranteed amount plus the $3500 for the quarantine on the way home. That would set a precedent for every Aussie coming over that clubs and British speedway just can't sustain. I feel for Jake and others in the same boat but just giving away money like you suggested would close British clubs for good.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eric i said:

Yep agree, should of come up with a deal to cover it,not lend,sponser it

7 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

But how many grand would they have to lend / give him? Jake stated that he made a loss in 2020 so he would be looking for a guaranteed of a full season and/or a guaranteed amount plus the $3500 for the quarantine on the way home. That would set a precedent for every Aussie coming over that clubs and British speedway just can't sustain. I feel for Jake and others in the same boat but just giving away money like you suggested would close British clubs for good.

Plenty of sportsman receive it,just not in uk speedway 

1 hour ago, Spiderman1 said:

Yep agree, should of come up with a deal to cover it,not lend,sponser it

Plenty of sportsman receive it,just not in uk speedway 

and plenty of speedway riders receive substantial signing on fees pre season (don't know jakes deal specifics) . What other sports that are remotely comparable to speedway would be fronting 20-30k as a guarantee for a season that is far from certain to even happen?

8 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

and plenty of speedway riders receive substantial signing on fees pre season (don't know jakes deal specifics) . What other sports that are remotely comparable to speedway would be fronting 20-30k as a guarantee for a season that is far from certain to even happen?

Any football

• Haha 1

Any football

What fantasy land is football comparable to speedway? Even teams in the vanarama national league get crowds of 3500. You would have to drop into the semi pro leagues to even get anywhere close to a comparison and those sides are not fronting 30k for one player per season.