British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2020

I am not sure when it was but didn't Jake say he was going to stop over here for the winter( unsure whether '18-19 or '19-20) so to stop over here, without pay, must be difficult. It, also, surprised me why he had not done many meetings in Australia this last few months, more so, after winning the Darcy Ward meeting in late November.

Will welcome him back with open arms in 2022. 

• Like 1

With the news that Jake has withdrawn from UK racing in 2021 it seems to me we likely need to make two changes to the proposed line up ? Maybe switching one of the 5pt riders for a 4pt rider and try for Rory Schlien ? or Bradley Wilson-Dean ? who are freed following Somersets withdrawl ? Bottom line is the season IF it gets underway ? Is only ever going be a truncated affair. Likely a June start and Sept finish. So Jakes position is entirely understandable. But the options around his average are limited around UK based riders so we may have consider an 8+ rider to get near Jakes scoring. Not many of those about. BWD even if he rides in the UK might be a good option. That said hes been out a year - but so has everyone else !. For a 4pt rider one Aussie thats prepared to race a "shortened UK season" is Zane Kennedy. With his previous experience at Sheffield he might be a useful option. As much as I dont like going back on agreements with riders from 2020 I think we might have to ?

SCUNTHORPE SCORPIONS AVE   -2.50%
1 Josh Auty 7.78   7.41
2   0.00   0.00
3 Tero Aarnio 6.85   6.85
4 Thomas Jorgensen 6.47   6.47
5 Theo Pijper 5.49   5.49
6 Simon Lambert 5.28   5.03
7 Jordan Palin 2.00 RSx2* 2.00
  Actual Total: 33.87    
  1 to 6 Total:     31.25
  Rising Star   39.00 2.00
  Remaining:     7.75
  Team Total     33.25

Edited by the outsider

Won't be Schlien he's off to Poole. Bwd  not a bad call but like palmdawg says  Berge is a better option 

Edited by phillwhitewasmad
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, ScunnyDan said:

Would Dimitri Berge fit? and would he be willing to race for us?

Definatley, until he spits the dummy.

• Like 1

Berge might be an option had a 4+ ave with Belle Vue in 2019 so whats that = in the Champ ? Looking through the 2019 Averages that formed the basis for the 2020 Line Ups. The nearest rider to Jakes ave is current at Her Majesties pleasure !. So I do think we there need to be two changes to accomodate a rider with a higher ave than Jake ? That means that Pijper's( who I am sure "retired" in 2020 ? ) or Lambert's place could be in doubt ? and a nearer 4pt rider to come in. 

Edited by the outsider

That's a team with a lot of overseas riders considering we are in the middle of a global pandemic...

Will they be all based over here?

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

That's a team with a lot of overseas riders considering we are in the middle of a global pandemic...

Will they be all based over here?

Only Aarnio and Jorgensen.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

Not too sure on Tero, but I believe Thomas is based in Boston and Theo lives in the UK

Tero travels, but he has had a base/workshop in Newcastle. 

• Like 1

I think Scunny will have to wait until April/May when continental riders will be more willing to commit to the UK if they know there is no quarantine between Poland and the UK. If the league does start in May it could be with crowd restrictions, would all clubs start with a 50% crowd capacity? If there is a drop out or two there could be plenty of spare riders.

9 hours ago, scunny1 said:

Berge to ride in Sweden and Poland ,so I guess he's out of the equation. 

If it's not the top league in polska then I think he should be ok to race for us, if hes willing to of cause

10 hours ago, scunny1 said:

Berge to ride in Sweden and Poland ,so I guess he's out of the equation. 

If Berge is racing in either of leagues one or two in Poland, which he is, he can still ride in two other leagues, that may be Britain. But I dont see that at Scunthorpe or any other Championship team for that matter, if Berge does race over here I think it will be for a team in the Premiership.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, screm said:

If Berge is racing in either of leagues one or two in Poland, which he is, he can still ride in two other leagues, that may be Britain. But I dont see that at Scunthorpe or any other Championship team for that matter, if Berge does race over here I think it will be for a team in the Premiership.

Berge can be a waste of space at times, when he is not in the mood he just takes the P*ss.

• Like 2