British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2020

1 hour ago, Islander15 said:

I don’t know who to suggest to sign but surely Rob can’t track that team! It’s hopeless. It’s miles below the limit and will struggle at home and get thrashed away. There’s no number 1 and barely a heat leader compared to some of the top heavy sides. The suggestion of Kennedy, McDonald etc disrupts the balance of the team too as one of the plus points was Lambert at reserve. But then he’s stuck at second string along with Pijper, who I personally think is a woeful signing anyway and will average around 4-4.5 even when he drops to number 7. Rob’s tried strength in depth before with Auty at number 1 and it just doesn’t work. The Scunny faithful respect that they have an entertaining track but they still want to see their team win and when they aren’t doing that regularly they vote with their feet. 

One thing with your team now, it's opened up the discussion of who is going to get the wooden spoon now. Scunny, Plymouth or Newcastle. We will have our own mini league.  :D

1 hour ago, Islander15 said:

I don’t know who to suggest to sign but surely Rob can’t track that team! It’s hopeless. It’s miles below the limit and will struggle at home and get thrashed away. There’s no number 1 and barely a heat leader compared to some of the top heavy sides. The suggestion of Kennedy, McDonald etc disrupts the balance of the team too as one of the plus points was Lambert at reserve. But then he’s stuck at second string along with Pijper, who I personally think is a woeful signing anyway and will average around 4-4.5 even when he drops to number 7. Rob’s tried strength in depth before with Auty at number 1 and it just doesn’t work. The Scunny faithful respect that they have an entertaining track but they still want to see their team win and when they aren’t doing that regularly they vote with their feet. 

Your not wrong to flag concern; I agree that team definitely lacks a No1 and even a No2 compared to Poole; Glasgow; Eastbourne; Plymouth even !. But replacing Jake Allen is not going to happen. Whilst Rob is resolute in honouring the 2020 deals with the riders signed then. So unless there is a complete about turn Auty, Tommy & Aarnio are the "top three". I get your concerns but I think 2021 is more about working our way through the season; and "re-learning" what it takes to be promoters; riders, officials and supporters ?. Its not so much about being the best team in the League from the get go. We have one if not the best "Rising Star" in Jordan Palin so much (possibly too much ?) is anticipated of him. If he is winning his protected heats and chipping in points in the open heats then he can be a real plus in this team.

Theres a bit of catching up for all the UK based racers. Thats why calling up one of the available Aussies for the one remaining team spot makes sense. They are the ones who have had the most bike time in the last year and can hit the ground running in May. Provided they can travel with certainty of the shortened season happening ?.

Zaine Kennedy and Josh MacDonald the latter having missed out at Poole., have both been on the rostrum during the Aussie season. Both are Sheffield Tigers assets and a loan deal for one whilst no way replacing Jake. Gives us a commited rider; who would be here to race exclusively for the season ; know the tracks from 2019 and can potentially improve their average by a couple of points ? 

Its going to be a season unlike few others and its not going to be clear how things will pan out for clubs and riders. nigh on 18 months out is a fair strech for any speedway rider and most in the Championship are starting from that base. I reckon the Aussies are going to be leading the charge in the Championship not least Ryan Douglas at Leicester. I think we need at least one Aussie in our team; sadly it wont be Jake this season but I'd be confident Zaine Kennedy or Josh MacDonald would do themselves justice in the Scorpions colours this season. 

Edited by the outsider

Personally, even though Rob's honouring his commitments, I'd personally go for

Batchelor for Allen 

Connor Mountain for Pijper

Ryan Kinsley for Lambert

but thats not gonna happen, sadly....

If the team isn't going to be competitive, I shall be going to support Sheffield in the premiership most weeks, as much as I have time and respect for rob, is it too much to ask as a loyal supporter of 15 years for a successful season

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ScunnyDan said:

Batchelor for Allen 

Ryan Kinsley for Lambert

If the team isn't going to be competitive, I shall be going to support Sheffield in the premiership most weeks, as much as I have time and respect for rob, is it too much to ask as a loyal supporter of 15 years for a successful season

Your savage young man :D

22 hours ago, the outsider said:

Your not wrong to flag concern; I agree that team definitely lacks a No1 and even a No2 compared to Poole; Glasgow; Eastbourne; Plymouth even !. But replacing Jake Allen is not going to happen. Whilst Rob is resolute in honouring the 2020 deals with the riders signed then. So unless there is a complete about turn Auty, Tommy & Aarnio are the "top three". I get your concerns but I think 2021 is more about working our way through the season; and "re-learning" what it takes to be promoters; riders, officials and supporters ?. Its not so much about being the best team in the League from the get go. We have one if not the best "Rising Star" in Jordan Palin so much (possibly too much ?) is anticipated of him. If he is winning his protected heats and chipping in points in the open heats then he can be a real plus in this team.

Theres a bit of catching up for all the UK based racers. Thats why calling up one of the available Aussies for the one remaining team spot makes sense. They are the ones who have had the most bike time in the last year and can hit the ground running in May. Provided they can travel with certainty of the shortened season happening ?.

Zaine Kennedy and Josh MacDonald the latter having missed out at Poole., have both been on the rostrum during the Aussie season. Both are Sheffield Tigers assets and a loan deal for one whilst no way replacing Jake. Gives us a commited rider; who would be here to race exclusively for the season ; know the tracks from 2019 and can potentially improve their average by a couple of points ? 

Its going to be a season unlike few others and its not going to be clear how things will pan out for clubs and riders. nigh on 18 months out is a fair strech for any speedway rider and most in the Championship are starting from that base. I reckon the Aussies are going to be leading the charge in the Championship not least Ryan Douglas at Leicester. I think we need at least one Aussie in our team; sadly it wont be Jake this season but I'd be confident Zaine Kennedy or Josh MacDonald would do themselves justice in the Scorpions colours this season. 

Why would the club let Allen go,pay his flights and expenses,what he brings through the gates will far exceed the disappointment of them away meeting flogging, can see also a lot of home defeats , between witches and scorpions they could of come up with a better deal for a rider that was about to blossom in uk 

• Like 3

Out of interest is there a minimum required team average in the CL? I know last time Scunny put a NL team out it was so low that it forced a rule change the following year due to being uncompetitive and hurting other clubs gate. Is there a similar lower limit at CL level?

13 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Out of interest is there a minimum required team average in the CL? I know last time Scunny put a NL team out it was so low that it forced a rule change the following year due to being uncompetitive and hurting other clubs gate. Is there a similar lower limit at CL level?

That was their NL side.

17 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

That was their NL side.

Yes  "last time Scunny put a NL team".  Little did people know then that it would leave scars so deep that the league was soon to be abolished. I was asking if there is a CL level lower limit and if Scunthorpe were in danger of bringing the sport into disrepute by tracking a team that is arguably too poor to compete? Yes i accept that we ae in unprecedented times but if it is hard to build a competitive team perhaps the BSPL should have imposed a lower points limit upon the league!

3 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Yes  "last time Scunny put a NL team".  Little did people know then that it would leave scars so deep that the league was soon to be abolished. I was asking if there is a CL level lower limit and if Scunthorpe were in danger of bringing the sport into disrepute by tracking a team that is arguably too poor to compete? Yes i accept that we ae in unprecedented times but if it is hard to build a competitive team perhaps the BSPL should have imposed a lower points limit upon the league!

There is/ was one, and a club can be fined for fielding an under strength team. I remember Redcar turning up at our place without two riders who had missed a flight and had to use two of our juniors, they were fined for it .

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

There is/ was one, and a club can be fined for fielding an under strength team. I remember Redcar turning up at our place without two riders who had missed a flight and had to use two of our juniors, they were fined for it .

Likewise i thought i had seen instances where a team had arrived and been forced to track several NL/dev league riders due to late withdrawals and faced a fine but has there ever been a case where a declared team is deemed too weak?

54 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Likewise i thought i had seen instances where a team had arrived and been forced to track several NL/dev league riders due to late withdrawals and faced a fine but has there ever been a case where a declared team is deemed too weak?

All  team line-ups need to be approved by BSPL before they are officially 'declared'!  At the moment all line-ups are simply 'announced'!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I recall in the 90’s when it was one ‘ big division ‘ rider control was supposed to spread the heat leaders around the clubs. It didn’t happen and then they wanted to fine the weakest team for not having a decent side !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

From my point of view ( a scunthorpe fan ) i want this to happen because it demoralizing should we field a team that weak however feel that it is unlikely given that Rob is the BSPA chairman.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ryan555 said:

From my point of view ( a scunthorpe fan ) i want this to happen because it demoralizing should we field a team that weak however feel that it is unlikely given that Rob is the BSPA chairman.

Perhaps for once the chairman could make a good example of himself by showing that nobody is outside the rules rather than the current view that the godfather and other mafia members are above the law but happy to impose the rules onto others.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/14/2021 at 1:32 PM, ScunnyDan said:

Batchelor for Allen 

Ryan Kinsley for Lambert

Hey,you've got to support your team whatever is brought to the table.i will admit,I'm a Tigers fan through and through and have been for  the best part of 44 years but I love the racing,track,food and set up at scunny and get as often as I can but I would never desert the team I have supported for years.you have had success in the last few years and blimey,it was a long time before we had any at Sheffield but I would support them whatever team they put out.never desert your home town team because you never know how long they will be here.

Edited by Moranboys
  • Like 6