British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2020

6 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

There is/ was one, and a club can be fined for fielding an under strength team. I remember Redcar turning up at our place without two riders who had missed a flight and had to use two of our juniors, they were fined for it .

Remember in 2017, Sheffield only had 4 senior riders, away to a strong Glasgow team. Sheffield still won by 5 points. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 1:32 PM, ScunnyDan said:

If the team isn't going to be competitive, I shall be going to support Sheffield in the premiership most weeks, as much as I have time and respect for rob, is it too much to ask as a loyal supporter of 15 years for a successful season

We all know you Dan.... Scunny through n through, you'll never desert the Scorpions.  Was you p****d when you wrote that lol. 

Feel for Rob having to find a replacement for Jake... hope he can pull something out the bag. 

22 hours ago, Moranboys said:

Hey,you've got to support your team whatever is brought to the table.i will admit,I'm a Tigers fan through and through and have been for  the best part of 44 years but I love the racing,track,food and set up at scunny and get as often as I can but I would never desert the team I have supported for years.you have had success in the last few years and blimey,it was a long time before we had any at Sheffield but I would support them whatever team they put out.never desert your home town team because you never know how long they will be here.

Going by his youthful age, he probably can not remember the successes we had, when I started going in the early 70's, at Quibell Park & Ashby Ville .................................................... then again, I can't remember either because we didn't have any. We go because of the smell, excitement,  sport & social mixing it now presents. There is nothing to stop people venturing to other venues as I have seen a few Scunthorpe supporters at Sheffield even when Scunthorpe are not there so to see Premiership racing is an added advantage( difference between the 2 leagues is about removing a 2nd string & reserve from a Championship side & adding 2 more heat leaders).

• Like 2

On 3/15/2021 at 12:20 PM, Ringitsneck said:

I recall in the 90’s when it was one ‘ big division ‘ rider control was supposed to spread the heat leaders around the clubs. It didn’t happen and then they wanted to fine the weakest team for not having a decent side !

Middlesborough being one of them. Shane Parker a decent second string had to be a No1. :o

4 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Middlesborough being one of them. Shane Parker a decent second string had to be a No1. :o

And if I remember rightly it did shane no harm and made him into a much better rider - a lesson for the modern day teams , they could learn alot from this. 

Edited by ONTWOMINUTES
  • Like 2

Anyone reckon Rob could call upon one of the previous international riders that he has used. I have seen Andreas Lyager has really rocketed up the leagues Europe after his short spell in the Scorpions where he went home "to finish his studies." Anyone seen anything of Zdenek Holub though from what i remember he ended up with quite a low average.

It said in the star, there will be only one change. Lewis Bridger? he rides Thursdays at king Lynn, Scunny on friday might work for him.

On 3/18/2021 at 9:50 PM, eric i said:

It said in the star, there will be only one change. Lewis Bridger? he rides Thursdays at king Lynn, Scunny on friday might work for him.

Regards Bridger ? thats not a bad shout ? albeit I thought I read he didnt want a Championship club and was content to ease his way back at Kings Lynn ?. That said with Stars Thurs and Scorps Friday is it too much out of his way to do 4  more rides at Scunny the next night ? Certainly the more rides the better for his comeback. Ok he wont be like for like for Jake but we'd get one of British Speedways once highly rated prospects on around a 6pt average who has the ability to be a top rider in this league ? Might add some further interest to the season watching him make a comeback. ? He would make us that bit stronger on paper its a fact. 

Auty; Pijper, Tommy, Aarnio Bridger Palin & Lambo. 

average too high?

55 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

average too high?

Not sure, how many points have you got left, & does he qualify for a reduction s he rode in the National League ?

5 hours ago, proud panther said:

Put BWD in as your final rider, & it doesn't look a bad team, especially at home.

Certainly would ; I have no idea what average BWD would come in on. But there must be some reduction due to his not riding here since 2018 ? He has gone  well at Scunny and would strengthen that line up !

11 minutes ago, Spiderman1 said:

BWD riding in uk in 21? Heard he’s breeding sheep in these tough covid times

im sure ive seen on his social media hes coming over here in 4 weeks, so is a possibility

• Confused 1