British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2020

12 hours ago, Ryan555 said:

To be honest I think Connor Mountain is a similar sort of level to Josh Macdonald and Zaine Kennedy 

hes not leaving australia for a very short season if nothing at all,nothing is in stone, and hes below them pair in ability

Edited by Spiderman1

5 minutes ago, Spiderman1 said:

hes not leaving australia for a very short season if nothing at all,nothing is in stone, and hes below them pair in ability

Theres a bit more "commitment" on both sides if its either JMac or ZK. Both need to upsticks and come to the UK and they are here for the duration. Not saying that CM would not have the commitment but the club have more invested in an Aussie coming over than filling the slot with an available Brit ? With the latter knowing our form for "changing riders" I reckon CM would not get the time that JMac or ZK would. Harsh but true. That said we flew Jedd List half way round the world only to bin him after a couple of matches ! ?. 

This season being truncated as it is irrespective of how the Scorpions turn out I would like to see us stick with the plan if injuries allow. We arent going to have an out and out No1 and I think we can accept that and just make best of it come what may ?. Its more about just getting through and having regular racing on the card. Rather than getting too down if we get walloped here there and everywhere with this line up. 

I think the management are 100% behind the Rising Star programme and for us thats Jordan Palin who should be one of "the Stars" of that. It does add more expectation on his young shoulders but we are pinning are hopes on him being our "trump card" from the protected heats and scoring in the "open heats" then the absence of a No1 problem is maybe less of one ? 

There simply is not a rider out there that would get near to Jake Allens scoring ? Add in the uncertainty around travel and the virus into and out of Europe and it limits us further. It is what it is I'm afraid ? making us bottom two candidates as much as it pains me. All the Homes will be close run and all the Aways will be hidings !. Infact Id go as far as to say we will not pick up a single match point away from home this season looking at how the rest of the teams are set up. 

Clearly I hope Im wrong because 100% support the club but you cant go to places like Poole, Glasgow. Eastbourne, Edinburgh even Plymouth ! and face off against two No1s when you havent got and out and one No1 in your line up ? Harsh I know but thats the reality. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, the outsider said:

Theres a bit more "commitment" on both sides if its either JMac or ZK. Both need to upsticks and come to the UK and they are here for the duration. Not saying that CM would not have the commitment but the club have more invested in an Aussie coming over than filling the slot with an available Brit ? With the latter knowing our form for "changing riders" I reckon CM would not get the time that JMac or ZK would. Harsh but true. That said we flew Jedd List half way round the world only to bin him after a couple of matches ! ?. 

This season being truncated as it is irrespective of how the Scorpions turn out I would like to see us stick with the plan if injuries allow. We arent going to have an out and out No1 and I think we can accept that and just make best of it come what may ?. Its more about just getting through and having regular racing on the card. Rather than getting too down if we get walloped here there and everywhere with this line up. 

I think the management are 100% behind the Rising Star programme and for us thats Jordan Palin who should be one of "the Stars" of that. It does add more expectation on his young shoulders but we are pinning are hopes on him being our "trump card" from the protected heats and scoring in the "open heats" then the absence of a No1 problem is maybe less of one ? 

There simply is not a rider out there that would get near to Jake Allens scoring ? Add in the uncertainty around travel and the virus into and out of Europe and it limits us further. It is what it is I'm afraid ? making us bottom two candidates as much as it pains me. All the Homes will be close run and all the Aways will be hidings !. Infact Id go as far as to say we will not pick up a single match point away from home this season looking at how the rest of the teams are set up. 

Clearly I hope Im wrong because 100% support the club but you cant go to places like Poole, Glasgow. Eastbourne, Edinburgh even Plymouth ! and face off against two No1s when you havent got and out and one No1 in your line up ? Harsh I know but thats the reality. 

A very fair, rational assessment I would say...

And as hardly anyone remembers who 'wins' any league anyway, (Covid impacted or not), never mind who had 'successful' seasons, or had 'poor ones', your outlook is 100% the correct one to have...

British Speedway has evolved over the past two decades into many fans just going to watch the 'racing', rather than having too much interest in the result, so let's hope this season sees that trend continue and 'racing starved' fans turn out to support their local clubs in good numbers, and enjoy watching what's on offer..

Scunthorpe in particular wont be a track short of entertainment I would think given its past history.. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

No description available.

Don't know anything, but gut feeling says hes gunna go down the r/r route for at least the first month....... sigh

Do the rules allow that?

2 hours ago, RS50 said:

Do the rules allow that?

Wouldn't be the first time it's happened.  In 1995 or 1996 ('96 I think) Middlesbrough ran virtually all season with R/R as they couldn't find a rider to fill fill the vacant position.  They brought in a Supplementary Rule to cover for it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Wouldn't be the first time it's happened.  In 1995 or 1996 ('96 I think) Middlesbrough ran virtually all season with R/R as they couldn't find a rider to fill fill the vacant position.  They brought in a Supplementary Rule to cover for it.

White City did so too in title winning season 1977. Totally legitimately at the time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HGould said:

White City did so too in title winning season 1977. Totally legitimately at the time.

Another legitimate occasion was 1997 when Reading  used R/R all season for Tara O`Callaghan who broke his leg in the 1st meeting. The team manager at the time got plenty of stick for going down such an outrageous path. :)

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Another legitimate occasion was 1997 when Reading  used R/R all season for Tara O`Callaghan who broke his leg in the 1st meeting. The team manager at the time got plenty of stick for going down such an outrageous path. :)

wonder who that was!! LOL

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RS50 said:

Do the rules allow that?

Wolves Nick Morris in 2019?

Did he not injure his wrist in a pre season European meeting & as he was not a "new" rider to the team having being re-signed from 2018, the rule in place, did not apply.

On the Ipswich thread, there might be issues with N Klindt due to personal problems & if Jake can return, he might have 2 clubs again.

19 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Wolves Nick Morris in 2019?

Did he not injure his wrist in a pre season European meeting & as he was not a "new" rider to the team having being re-signed from 2018, the rule in place, did not apply.

Newcastle did something similar when Andrew Tully broke a vertebrae at the Press & Practice in 2013.  He was a new signing, but the BSPA agreed to allowing us to use R/R.

Have Scunthorpe made any decisions about admission for this year? I believe last year you paid in advance and printed your ticket. Would like to go to first few matches, but don't have a working printer. 

With Birmingham having confirmed the signing of Erik Riss ( deffo not jealous ! ) looks like Bradley Wilson Dean is ours for the taking providing Rob can sort a minor rule adjustment out !