British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2020

Anyone got any thoughts on next season’s team or are we all assuming it’s the same 7 who didn’t ride this year. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Anyone got any thoughts on next season’s team or are we all assuming it’s the same 7 who didn’t ride this year. 

Surely where ever possible teams will remain the same as las season, we have already seen clubs announce that.

Can't see how at least a certain amount of juggling with team strengths can be avoided myself. Some overseas riders probably won't return and Brexit is certain to have some effect on rider availability as well. In theory, things should stay as they are, but in practice, this seems unlikely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brianbuck said:

Can't see how at least a certain amount of juggling with team strengths can be avoided myself. Some overseas riders probably won't return and Brexit is certain to have some effect on rider availability as well. In theory, things should stay as they are, but in practice, this seems unlikely.

As long as it is fair and equal for all.

Fear is some Clubs get a head start and some are left floundering.

May need some form of the old rider control.

Edited by HGould

12 hours ago, HGould said:

As long as it is fair and equal for all.

Fear is some Clubs get a head start and some are left floundering.

May need some form of the old rider control.

That's a bit ageist H !!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, gazzac said:

That's a bit ageist H !!

I loved the old days when you'd wait for Speedway Star with baited breath to see where all the top riders and some decent others were being allocated. 

In some ways very old fashioned but you could argue it's no different to  the American "draft" system in other ways.

I'm sure that some Clubs are already contacting riders to replace riders they think won't come back or can't come back. Hopefully Brummies are active as we have a couple to replace Johansson (although we have him covered I think) and he who is best not named, detained by her majesty

I guess Eastbourne are on this occasion sitting pretty with an all British team? 

1 hour ago, HGould said:

I loved the old days when you'd wait for Speedway Star with baited breath to see where all the top riders and some decent others were being allocated. 

In some ways very old fashioned but you could argue it's no different to  the American "draft" system in other ways.

I'm sure that some Clubs are already contacting riders to replace riders they think won't come back or can't come back. Hopefully Brummies are active as we have a couple to replace Johansson (although we have him covered I think) and he who is best not named, detained by her majesty

I guess Eastbourne are on this occasion sitting pretty with an all British team? 

I don't remember the draft system, I started going in 1970 so assume it was before that ?

I think Eastie would have gone for basically the same team next year even if there had been a season this year if the points would have allowed, so will be sure it'll be the same starting 7, especially as the youngsters have moved on this season especially Kemp.

Ps,sorry suppose this should be on the Eastie or Brum thread really!

Edited by gazzac

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Len Silver always had 6 riders sorted before the AGM agreeing the points limit, and then signed the 7th rider within days. 

6 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Len Silver always had 6 riders sorted before the AGM agreeing the points limit, and then signed the 7th rider within days. 

Seem to remember he came unstuck with doing that on more than one occasion. 

29 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Seem to remember he came unstuck with doing that on more than one occasion. 

There has always been teams trying it on and voting for high points limits like 45, because of the riders they have signed or lined up. When they were outvoted for say 42 or 43 points, you could see the glances between them seething that their plans were now in trouble. Obviously there were clans of promoters working together to get one over the poorer promotions. 

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Have heard a rumor, (and I must stress its a rumor and could be a load of boll--s) that Theo Pijper may not be returning to the side in 2k21

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

Have heard a rumor, (and I must stress its a rumor and could be a load of boll--s) that Theo Pijper may not be returning to the side in 2k21

wasn't he a late inclusion after tragic death of Danny??.

Not surprising if a longer term option might now be looked at for 2021 

4 hours ago, eric i said:

Nike Lunna or Lasse Bjerre, not sure if they have retired?

100% not Nike he is living back in Finland then heading off to the philipines

Well done to Jake Allen in winning the Darcy Ward Invitational Meeting at the weekend beating Josh G, Ryan D & Josh P in the final.

• Like 1