British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2020

18 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

I'd still personally make 3 changes, not that I can see Rob doing that.. personally, i just cant wait to be back on the terraces with me mates, and got a plymouth/poole away holiday in mind too, even though we're gunna get smashed

It'd be pretty harsh to drop a couple of riders this close to the season starting!

25 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I think you're underestimating Pijper, I reckon he'll do well for the Scorpions! 

It would be harsh to drop him at this stage of the year. But he’s the most uninspiring signing, not likely to put much on his average, only in the team due to tragic circumstances and there’s no obvious replacement for Allen. The team didn’t look world beating in the first place and I hope whoever is signed at least makes them competitive at home. 

Could Scunny be waiting to see 8f the 2 Scottish teams can run due to covid restrictions cos Ricky Wells would be a great signing for you?

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 1:36 PM, phillwhitewasmad said:

Kennedy is on a 4 point average for a reason and to bring him in to replace Jake would be folly. We would be woefully weak and the potential to loose every week at home would bring no benefit to the club.

having said that I don't have a clue who could replace Jake

Think if we were to bring in Kennedy it would be to replace Pijper and then gives us room for a greater average replacement of Jake Allen but still not sure who that be  

On 3/8/2021 at 1:12 PM, Ryan555 said:

Think if we were to bring in Kennedy it would be to replace Pijper and then gives us room for a greater average replacement of Jake Allen but still not sure who that be  

Can't see us replacing Theo prior to the season starting unless like the post above states one of the Scottish teams don't run. Personally think he will do,a decent job especially at home 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Can't see us replacing Theo prior to the season starting unless like the post above states one of the Scottish teams don't run. Personally think he will do,a decent job especially at home 

You will find that both Scottish clubs will be running now the have been given a grant by  the  Scottish government so they will be able to run behind closed doors. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

You will find that both Scottish clubs will be running now the have been given a grant by  the  Scottish government so they will be able to run behind closed doors. 

The management committee could always bring in a rule that any team that receives a grant from the Scottish government will not be allowed to compete in the UK league because its not fair. 

• Haha 5

Think its looking increasingly likely our three heat leaders are Auty; Tommy Aarnio and we wont get close to covering for Jakes absence ! ?  Robs determined to honour the deals he did for 2020. 

Seems to me we will be gambling on a lower average rider coming up "Crumps" ? So it could be one of the Aussie Tiggers on loan ? Josh McDonald who lost his loan spot at Poole or Zaine Kennedy ? Could mean we line up ?

1.Jorgensen; 2. Lambert 3.Auty 4. Pijper 5. Arnio 6. Palin 7. McDonald (Kennedy)

Theres certainly scope for adding to the averages but it will be all about how quickly riders dial back in to some kind of regular racing again ? I reckon if it was one of the Aussie boys they would not be here to hang around at reserve and we could actually come up "Crumps' ! pun excused ?

18 minutes ago, the outsider said:

Think its looking increasingly likely our three heat leaders are Auty; Tommy Aarnio and we wont get close to covering for Jakes absence ! ?  Robs determined to honour the deals he did for 2020. 

Seems to me we will be gambling on a lower average rider coming up "Crumps" ? So it could be one of the Aussie Tiggers on loan ? Josh McDonald who lost his loan spot at Poole or Zaine Kennedy ? Could mean we line up ?

1.Jorgensen; 2. Lambert 3.Auty 4. Pijper 5. Arnio 6. Palin 7. McDonald (Kennedy)

Theres certainly scope for adding to the averages but it will be all about how quickly riders dial back in to some kind of regular racing again ? I reckon if it was one of the Aussie boys they would not be here to hang around at reserve and we could actually come up "Crumps' ! pun excused ?

Surely Auty would be at no.1, being the highest averaged rider, so maybe swap him and TJ around?

2 hours ago, the outsider said:

Having said this guess what ? 

Dougy smashing the Darcy Ward Individual in Queensland last night ! But guess what ?  Josh Pickering 2nd; Zaine Kennedy 3rd Josh McDonald 4th ..these Aussie lads are going to hit the ground running here in May !. Fast looking a no brainer to me either Kennedy or McDonald gets a shot at filling the vacant spot in the Scorpions line up !

2 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Surely Auty would be at no.1, being the highest averaged rider, so maybe swap him and TJ around?

Is that the case; the highest average has to be at No1 ? .For me he seems to perform better at 3 or 5.? Overall though thats going to be one of the concerns for....we wont have a No1 ?or come to that neither a No 1 or 2 compared to say Poole ? Eastbourne ? Plymouth ? least wise not on the Away tracks !?

Edited by the outsider

12 minutes ago, the outsider said:

Does he have to be ? For me he seems to perform better at 3 or 5.? Overall though thats going to one of the concerns for me ..we wont have a No1 least wise not on the Away tracks !?

Am pretty sure that the highest averaged rider has to be your no.1 home and away,,, but with big Rob driving the ship, there might be a new rule, whereas you could chuck him in at 6 or 7 for away meetings?,,, (not wanting to give folk any  ideas like).;)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, the outsider said:

Does he have to be ? For me he seems to perform better at 3 or 5.? Overall though thats going to one of the concerns for me ..we wont have a No1 least wise not on the Away tracks !?

Unless the rules have changed, the rider who is top of the averages has to be at number one.  It's been that for years now.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Unless the rules have changed, the rider who is top of the averages has to be at number one.  It's been that for years now.

Yes, this is true & your 2-5 can be any order. Your reserves could have been either way round but this, & probably, consequent years, a rising star is at 7. 

12 hours ago, the outsider said:

I don’t know who to suggest to sign but surely Rob can’t track that team! It’s hopeless. It’s miles below the limit and will struggle at home and get thrashed away. There’s no number 1 and barely a heat leader compared to some of the top heavy sides. The suggestion of Kennedy, McDonald etc disrupts the balance of the team too as one of the plus points was Lambert at reserve. But then he’s stuck at second string along with Pijper, who I personally think is a woeful signing anyway and will average around 4-4.5 even when he drops to number 7. Rob’s tried strength in depth before with Auty at number 1 and it just doesn’t work. The Scunny faithful respect that they have an entertaining track but they still want to see their team win and when they aren’t doing that regularly they vote with their feet. 

• Like 2