British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2020

3 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Yes but it will read like war and peace and some of it will be guess work so check this out and look at Sportsperson Visa (T2) and Frontier Worker Permit and you will get a feel for the issues faced by Promoters and Riders... oh and the answer you are looking for will be on there... Brexit has made it really tough for these promoters that's for sure...

https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas 

Regards
THJ

i think these applications to work have no fee attached but pretty sure if you pay for a visa you are allowed to come ride from what i have heard from a rider 

Edited by mac101

33 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Of course it is. But some fans only support a winning team and then complain when there is no speedway. So I hope the home fans do continue to support the team. I’ll be there regardless as it’s an exciting race track. 

I agree, if a team keeps losing at home it will be down to the hardcore of supporters. The only way Scunny could do anything this year is if they made a quick ruthless change after a couple of meetings, theo or Lambet for vissing or BWD.

• Like 1

I'm struggling to find any enthusiasm for speedway this year....hopefully as the season draws nearer i'll feel different.

Obviously the covid situation is effecting everyone and everything, especially speedway....rider shortage particularly being my main beef...Scunny (and others) having to go extremely weak due to inability to fill the gaps makes me wonder if its worth it.

Perhaps the speedway bosses have caused their own problem.  If my math is correct (that would be a first lol), there's currently a 94 strong pool of riders in the top two leagues, 32 of which double up.  Had they evened the leagues out (in terms of teams) to 9 premier and 9 championship, allowing the premier teams 5 double uppers, that would equate to a rider pool of 81.....the point i'm making is by increasing the number of clubs in the premier league would've eased the current rider shortage.

1 hour ago, Islander15 said:

Of course it is. But some fans only support a winning team and then complain when there is no speedway. So I hope the home fans do continue to support the team. I’ll be there regardless as it’s an exciting race track. 

I intend to go to many of Scunthorpe's home matches. They are not my home track so would not be too upset if they lose. Just hope to see some good racing. Hoping to see Crump and Pedersen, in Scunthorpe's first match. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spin king junior said:

Josh MacDonald signs as the last rider then. 

Is this definite? I can not see anything on Scunthorpe's website to confirm this. 

13 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Is this definite? I can not see anything on Scunthorpe's website to confirm this. 

Was in todays Speedway Star 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spin king junior said:

Was in todays Speedway Star 

Yeah I read it in speedway star you would have thought they’d have something up by now anyway !

4 hours ago, mac101 said:

i think these applications to work have no fee attached but pretty sure if you pay for a visa you are allowed to come ride from what i have heard from a rider 

The T2 sports visa costs the frontier visa is free then depending on various other criteria there may be healthcare costs to pay... it's a minefield really and the promotions will need a sponsors licence and there are various other conditions to meet... Brexit certainly done Speedway no favours that's for sure...

Regards 

THJ 

1 minute ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

The T2 sports visa costs the frontier visa is free then depending on various other criteria there may be healthcare costs to pay... it's a minefield really and the promotions will need a sponsors licence and there are various other conditions to meet... Brexit certainly done Speedway no favours that's for sure...

Regards 

THJ 

Or maybe it has THJ?

A bit of short term pain for long term gain?

Flying in and out hundreds of journeymen foreign riders over the years and planning fixtures around these riders agendas, regardless of whether a good night to run or not, whilst at the same time reducing the places available to UK riders could now be a thing of the past...

Those who run the sport have steadfastly avoided "the bleedin' obvious" so maybe the pandemic has forced their hand and it will be for the best in the long run?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ryan555 said:

Yeah I read it in speedway star you would have thought they’d have something up by now anyway !

More concerned with the podcast maybe?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mikebv said:

A bit of short term pain for long term gain?

Can't disagree Mike to be fair its definitley the other side of the arguement... if it works that way... I just think the sport is a bit fragile and vulnerable at present... 

6 minutes ago, LionsFan said:

Will there be a long run for speedway if the product continues to be diluted?

Bit brutal and I sincerely hope you are wrong but again opinions like this do stand up for themselves at the minute... unfortunately... so in that context "your not wrong" (either)

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LionsFan said:

Will there be a long trun for speedway if the product continues to be diluted?

For me. 100%...

The sport is down to its very hardest of hard core support so is pretty much bomb proof from any more "walking away"..

Therefore, keeping the same numbers (or even a 'natural' reduction in punters), but removing thousands from their costs, has to be a good thing for the future of the sport...

"Never waste a good crisis" is a term often quoted in business..

Speedway should take note......

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mikebv said:

"Never waste a good crisis" is a term often quoted in business..

Speedway should take note......

Never a truer word said... lol

Didn't know whether to put a like on it or a laugh...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Missed out word
  • Like 1

speedway for me is not about winning, it is about watching 4 guys turning left and racing, to me it is more about the entertainment value than seeing your team win all the time, sport is supposed to be about 2 teams battling it out for supremecy and not knowing the winners before you go, i remember in the late 70`s/ early 80`s when sheffield did not have too good a side and there was some close meetings which the tigers lost quite a few of, but these were enjoyable to watch as you never knew the outcome.

• Like 2