British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

2020 NL Season

1 hour ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Per SVEMO website: 

The Division 1 series consists of 7 teams and is a national amateur series with mixed A teams and reserve teams.

Brassarna (Nassjo), Ornarna (Mariestad) plus 5 reserve teams. 

• Like 1

The NL seems very vulnerable in terms of next season but its essential that this level of racing is maintained cause it is a great breeding ground for young riders and enables standalone clubs who don't/can't go higher League to survive and prosper.

It would be nice if Rye House and Buxton return although one must remember that in 1998 the then 3rd tier, at the time called the Conference League survived and indeed prospered with just 5 clubs.

For the record in these deepest parts of East Anglia, Mildenhall speedway more often than not is better value for money than its higher League neighbors at Ipswich and King's Lynn!   

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, arnieg said:

Brassarna (Nassjo), Ornarna (Mariestad) plus 5 reserve teams. 

Thanks, I was struggling to find results & tables. So, it's the same form of mix, just with emphasis the opposite to our NDL with reserve teams being as dominant as our stand-alones. 

Anyway, I hope the person who asked the question has the answer now that they need. 

Just switching back to the NL I think my happiest seasons were when I was working in the NL or at Iwade, especially the latter. I just loved to see the families working so hard to help the son achieve their dream.....and I had the honour of meeting Brian Osborn, who kept Scunthorpe going against all odds in the 70s. He was once asked if he spelled his name with an e, to which his response was "No, I can't afford one". I met a lot of star riders in my time.....but we all have our OWN heroes ;-)

(He also rode second halves at Rayleigh which earns him honorary demi-god status. Don't ask me what status Hugh Saunders and Geoff Maloney had ;-) ).

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 1

The other interesting feature of the Swedish div One is that each team has a 250cc rider who rides four races against the other 250cc riders. ( The German Team cup - effectively their second division also do this.) [Both countries use a four team tournament format]

Last year Philip Hellstrom-Bangs was the top 250cc rider winning all 30 races in div One; this year he is second in div One 500cc averages to Joel Kling. The majority of the riders are under 21, but in Tony Gudbrand and Benny Johansson they have their versions of Jon Armstrong and Tony Atkin.

Edited by arnieg
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, arnieg said:

The other interesting feature of the Swedish div One is that each team has a 250cc rider who rides four races against the other 250cc riders. ( The German Team cup - effectively their second division also do this.) [Both countries use a four team tournament format]

Last year Philip Hellstrom-Bangs was the top 250cc rider winning all 30 races in div One; this year he is second in div One 500cc averages to Joel Kling. The majority of the riders are under 21, but in Tony Gudbrand and Benny Johansson they have their versions of Jon Armstrong and Tony Atkin.

Certainly an interesting addition and does offer up a way of rider development without the huge rush to jump on a full 500cc bike. That said the 250 class in the UK is shrinking at an alarming rate with the new in favour choice to jump straight from 125 to 500! That said multiple races of the same 4 riders could become quite predictable but the concept is sound

5 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Certainly an interesting addition and does offer up a way of rider development without the huge rush to jump on a full 500cc bike. That said the 250 class in the UK is shrinking at an alarming rate with the new in favour choice to jump straight from 125 to 500! That said multiple races of the same 4 riders could become quite predictable but the concept is sound

Didn't the NJL here have 250cc heats?

3 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

They do and very well it's working too towards rider development

SDL/MDL more older riders and may be 250cc races and 500cc races included in same match are way to go for MDL SDL and even National Development League.

3 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Im pretty sure they ran 500's & 125's. It was mooted to include 250 heats in the MDL a year or so ago but there was a shortage of available riders even then. A quick look at the youth rounds this year shows 8 riders as the best entry in the class and that included the unfortunate Sam Norris, Sam Peters & Eli Meadows who were all riding 500 machines already. 

6 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

It is in my experience, as you say very predictable. Good in theory, but in practice the best rider generally wins all the heats, the 2nd best comes 2nd most of the time and the 3rd comes 3rd...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

It is in my experience, as you say very predictable. Good in theory, but in practice the best rider generally wins all the heats, the 2nd best comes 2nd most of the time and the 3rd comes 3rd...

Yes and that’s the big problem with adding them to a competitive league: fans won’t pay to watch predictable follow the leader races. They want results but they also want entertainment, especially when the league would be seriously diluted to bring in 250cc racing. 

On 9/26/2019 at 9:32 AM, TurnTwo said:

Ten teams prem & ten teams championship with Glasgow, Sheffield, Leicester and Somerset moving up Peterborough moving down. 

Plymouth & Kent moving into the championship. With the chance of one other club to join. 

Cubs, Heathens, potters I doubt will continue. With 3 teams moving up and 3 teams not continuing. NL is left with 3/4 teams if rye house come back leaving a glorified mdl type league. 

British speedway is not in a good way

Leicester will definitely not be moving up!

An 8 team Premiership & 10 or 12 team Championship with a 6 team NDL is a must & the promoters must be getting their heads together at pre AGM meetings at Rugby to ensure this happens. We now have more young lads coming through & they still need to develop & refine their skills at the right level. Some of them will require 2 league racing & the PL is a step too far for most. Kemp, Flint, Bickley, Palin, Thompson twins, Gilkes, Kinsley, Edwards, McGurk, Mulford are just a few that, in a couple more years, could be PL 2nd strings.

Do not destroy these young lads at an early age

30 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

An 8 team Premiership & 10 or 12 team Championship with a 6 team NDL is a must & the promoters must be getting their heads together at pre AGM meetings at Rugby to ensure this happens. We now have more young lads coming through & they still need to develop & refine their skills at the right level. Some of them will require 2 league racing & the PL is a step too far for most. Kemp, Flint, Bickley, Palin, Thompson twins, Gilkes, Kinsley, Edwards, McGurk, Mulford are just a few that, in a couple more years, could be PL 2nd strings.

Do not destroy these young lads at an early age

I wouldn’t be surprised if we only saw 3 or maybe 4 of those at this level next season. 

I fear some standalone NDL clubs will end up "beached".

We know Stoke have gone.

We know Plymouth want to go.

I have read the rumours about Cradley.

That takes the league, as it stands, down to potentially only five.

Belle Vue and Leicester are 2nd strings ....will they run?

If not, we are down to three.

Kent I believe last year sought promotion to bigger and better things but were declined.

If they are successful, whither Mildenhall and the Isle of Wight?

Worrying times for fans to say the least.

• Like 1

There also needs to be some thought put into how strong the CL should be.

We have seen young riders move up from the NL and then call it a day when they struggle and ultimately disillusioned with the sport having put in the miles to get so far.

• Like 2