British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

2020 NL Season

10 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Substantiated rumours tonight that Kent will join the top flight. There’s going to be no team s left at this rate :neutral:

Kent NL & Prem.

15 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

Kent NL & Prem.

Hope so. Gives meaningful fixtures and allows Len his weekly meetings. 

13 hours ago, flipper11 said:

Kent NL & Prem.

Why would a wily old campaigner like Len Silver who has had considerable experience in recent years at CL/NL level suddenly decide to go Premiership, with the various restrictions he has with the stadium usage?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Why would a wily old campaigner like Len Silver who has had considerable experience in recent years at CL/NL level suddenly decide to go Premiership, with the various restrictions he has with the stadium usage?

Good question. I can make a couple of guesses for you. The expenses of PL v CL are not massively more. There are more southern based teams in PL v CL so maybe more interest from away supporters to travel, of course this may change if Berwick & Sheffield go up as well. Most importantly I think it may give Kent more leverage with the planners to extend the curfew if there is top flight racing.

40 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

Good question. I can make a couple of guesses for you. The expenses of PL v CL are not massively more. There are more southern based teams in PL v CL so maybe more interest from away supporters to travel, of course this may change if Berwick & Sheffield go up as well. Most importantly I think it may give Kent more leverage with the planners to extend the curfew if there is top flight racing.

You don’t think CL racing or PL racing is considerably more????

36 minutes ago, TurnTwo said:

You don’t think CL racing or PL racing is considerably more????

I said PL verses CL. 

2 hours ago, flipper11 said:

I said PL verses CL. 

So why is Matt Ford suggesting costs in CL are approx 25% less than PL?  I know he's had loads of chats with Len in recent months, so who knows?

19 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

So why is Matt Ford suggesting costs in CL are approx 25% less than PL?  I know he's had loads of chats with Len in recent months, so who knows?

If Matt Ford says costs in CL are around 25% less than PL then they must be. 

• Haha 1

I’d still bet the points money is quite a bit higher in the top league than the middle..

Surely riders wages are the only variable cost  between PL and CL - all the other costs are fixed whatever league you race in ?  As for the costs of  Kent moving from the NL to the PL, Len will need also 7 riders, or maybe 6 if Drew Kemp rides at number 7.

7 hours ago, flipper11 said:

...but will local non-speedway followers like it? And they will seek without doubt the backing of their locally ELECTED councillors to support their objections. Sad but a harsh fact.

22 minutes ago, gustix said:

...but will local non-speedway followers like it? And they will seek without doubt the backing of their locally ELECTED councillors to support their objections. Sad but a harsh fact.

Very true but reading the planning permission Kent have, they can race on a Friday up to 9.10pm or if there is an accident/s they can extend racing to 9.30pm, but, only for Elite/PL racing not NL or CL.    I am only guessing, but it is possible Kent may apply for the same permission on a Monday if they are accepted into the PL when the TV cameras are at C Park based on the fact they already have permission to 9.30 on Fridays.   I would also guess they would not get permission to extend to 9.30 every Monday for the reasons you pointed out.

12 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Surely riders wages are the only variable cost  between PL and CL - all the other costs are fixed whatever league you race in ?  As for the costs of  Kent moving from the NL to the PL, Len will need also 7 riders, or maybe 6 if Drew Kemp rides at number 7.

I think Anders would have a bigger shoe in the door than Drew. I’d actually say that Anders is better than Drew now.

1 hour ago, TurnTwo said:

I think Anders would have a bigger shoe in the door than Drew. I’d actually say that Anders is better than Drew now.

I think Anders has plenty of firm offers already and would be very surprised if he isn't provisionally signed somewhere pending the AGM. However i think Rowe is also wise enough to not get stuck at one track whilst Kemp wants away as he has not mastered the Kent circuit.

13 hours ago, flipper11 said:

Very true but reading the planning permission Kent have, they can race on a Friday up to 9.10pm or if there is an accident/s they can extend racing to 9.30pm, but, only for Elite/PL racing not NL or CL.    I am only guessing, but it is possible Kent may apply for the same permission on a Monday if they are accepted into the PL when the TV cameras are at C Park based on the fact they already have permission to 9.30 on Fridays.   I would also guess they would not get permission to extend to 9.30 every Monday for the reasons you pointed out.

If we ever went up i think that is the sort of deal that will be negotiated. Run normal 6.30 start, with 7.30 start  for TV meetings.

I imagine once on tv the stadium could very easily get chosen for a gp qualifier and the council may see the benefit of having successful sports teams in its borough.

• Haha 1