British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

2020 NL Season

1 hour ago, TurnTwo said:

I think Anders would have a bigger shoe in the door than Drew. I’d actually say that Anders is better than Drew now.

I am a big fan of Anders and get on with the family, its Anders dream to ride for his home town club Swindon and has always been very open about that, that is where he wants to be once he is good enough. I would be pretty shocked if he wasnt in thier line up if he rides top flight in 2020.

Edited by teaboy279
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I think Anders has plenty of firm offers already and would be very surprised if he isn't provisionally signed somewhere pending the AGM. However i think Rowe is also wise enough to not get stuck at one track whilst Kemp wants away as he has not mastered the Kent circuit.

Not sure where this notion that Kemp wants away comes from, my understanding is whilst disappointed in his form (having the chance to interview him most weeks, i quickly learnt anything less then a max is not good enough) I think he is more then happy at the club. I may be wrong of course.

38 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I think Anders has plenty of firm offers already and would be very surprised if he isn't provisionally signed somewhere pending the AGM. However i think Rowe is also wise enough to not get stuck at one track whilst Kemp wants away as he has not mastered the Kent circuit.

Isn't Anders a Swindon asset?

I would think occasional rides there and another season at Somerset would be ideal for him.

4 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

If we ever went up i think that is the sort of deal that will be negotiated. Run normal 6.30 start, with 7.30 start  for TV meetings.

I imagine once on tv the stadium could very easily get chosen for a gp qualifier and the council may see the benefit of having successful sports teams in its borough.

What do you define as being a GP qualifier? And ahead of the NSS in Manchester? 

3 minutes ago, gustix said:

What do you define as being a GP qualifier? And ahead of the NSS in Manchester? 

The NSS is more established on the bigger stage so would more likely host the GP Challenge, I think if Kent ever got the correct fim accreditation and permission from the council then a qualifying round would probably more likely. 

It was more of a hypothetical question really. But should we ever be in a position that we have tv speedway in Kent, it could potentially sweeten the council and leave them wanting to have bigger meetings in thier back yard.

It would be fantastic to have a stadium able to host International speedway in the south, (even better when it's an hour from home), the main grandstand alone seats 2000.

8 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

The NSS is more established on the bigger stage so would more likely host the GP Challenge, I think if Kent ever got the correct fim accreditation and permission from the council then a qualifying round would probably more likely. 

It was more of a hypothetical question really. But should we ever be in a position that we have tv speedway in Kent, it could potentially sweeten the council and leave them wanting to have bigger meetings in thier back yard.

It would be fantastic to have a stadium able to host International speedway in the south, (even better when it's an hour from home), the main grandstand alone seats 2000.

I agree,but surely the track would have to improve a lot for that to happen.:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, teaboy279 said:

Not sure where this notion that Kemp wants away comes from, my understanding is whilst disappointed in his form (having the chance to interview him most weeks, i quickly learnt anything less then a max is not good enough) I think he is more then happy at the club. I may be wrong of course.

I think largely the very reasons you have stated, whilst not unhappy at the club Kemp always wants to be top dog and max out (nothing wrong with that) but i feel that a track that suits him better is where he will end up as he is very  much a confidence rider. 

1 hour ago, teaboy279 said:

I am a big fan of Anders and get on with the family, its Anders dream to ride for his home town club Swindon and has always been very open about that, that is where he wants to be once he is good enough. I would be pretty shocked if he wasnt in thier line up if he rides top flight in 2020.

Anders would be mad to ride in the PL next year, even if he weren’t prevented from doing so by the 3 point minimum average.

It would ruin his confidence, like Jack Smith last season.

His CL average is only 4.38, whereas Ellis Perks’ is 6.4, and Ellis struggled in the PL this season to average 3.57.

42 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Anders would be mad to ride in the PL next year, even if he weren’t prevented from doing so by the 3 point minimum average.

It would ruin his confidence, like Jack Smith last season.

His CL average is only 4.38, whereas Ellis Perks’ is 6.4, and Ellis struggled in the PL this season to average 3.57.

The achieved 3 was one of the best rules brought into speedway over the past few years along with the increases in conversion rate. However i have a sneaky feeling all that sensible work could be undone with the introduction of a under 21 rider rule in the top flight. 

On 10/22/2019 at 9:27 AM, blueherb777 said:

I agree,but surely the track would have to improve a lot for that to happen.:rolleyes:

You're right, but its never stopped other tracks in need of improvement staging international meetings. Apart from the NSS, Kent is the best stadium we have. 

With the loss of Stoke & Plymouth and the possible loss of Cradley, Leicester & Belle Vue it maybe that next season's points limit will be extremely low (32 or even 30) to entice other clubs to enter NL teams. With Sheffield reverting to Thursday, Buxton could come back. 

My only hope is  if Isle of Wight decide to fold given the circumstances a role is found for Barry Bishop & Martin Widman. The innovation, foresight and enthusiasm they have put into the Warriors over the last few seasons is something the sport simply can't afford to lose. 

• Like 3

Kent have a nice Stand it's rarely more than 1/3rd full.

Kent have an awful track that could, if realigned to use available space better be an excellent track.

Kent have a major problem with a 2 hour curfew and as a result have run NDL to find ways of best getting round that restriction and credit to them for that.

To suggest Central Park is ready for FIM approval and GP Qualifiers on basis of one Stand never fully utilised and awful access issues from North and every other direction is frankly very amusing

May be look at Glasgow, Newcastle, Sheffield, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Kings Lynn; Ipswich, Peterborough (probably others) who have "big Stands" and in many cases far better race tracks and infrastructure.

Sorry I forgot Berwick..(big stand!)

Edited by HGould
last line

26 minutes ago, HGould said:

Kent have a nice Stand it's rarely more than 1/3rd full.

Kent have an awful track that could, if realigned to use available space better be an excellent track.

Kent have a major problem with a 2 hour curfew and as a result have run NDL to find ways of best getting round that restriction and credit to them for that.

To suggest Central Park is ready for FIM approval and GP Qualifiers on basis of one Stand never fully utilised and awful access issues from North and every other direction is frankly very amusing

May be look at Glasgow, Newcastle, Sheffield, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Kings Lynn; Ipswich, Peterborough (probably others) who have "big Stands" and in many cases far better race tracks and infrastructure.

Sorry I forgot Berwick..(big stand!)

The stand holds over 2000.  You say a 1/3rd full (there are considerably more for bank holidays)  & other spectators around the ground that is not bad average attendance for NL, I'm sure a lot of CL teams would like an attendance like that. 

Central Park has concrete viewing areas all the way around the track & is designed for over 5000 spectators, so its not about 1 stand. 

As for access issues, there is a motorway & dual carriageway up to a couple of miles from the track what could be better than that. 

The only problem with the track as I can see is the exit from bend 2 could do with being wider & I understand there are plans for that. There used to be a big flat spot (Rye House style) on bend 3, this has now mostly been built up.

Rye House, complete with camber, staged several FIM events, including the under 21 world cup final. The FIM it seems, ain't that fussy.

I heard yesterday a rumour or talk whatever you want to describe it as, that Rye House will be back in 2020 racing in the NL under the combination of Pete Sampson and Martin Hagon, be great to have some speedway in the Herts/Essex area again, Arena Essex will never return, that's for sure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, marko said:

I heard yesterday a rumour or talk whatever you want to describe it as, that Rye House will be back in 2020 racing in the NL under the combination of Pete Sampson and Martin Hagon, be great to have some speedway in the Herts/Essex area again, Arena Essex will never return, that's for sure.

They couldn't do no worse than BMR.