British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

2020 NL Season

26 minutes ago, pitstop84 said:

Think if rye house was sold that would be the only way they would be able to run speedway there again

Why?  What have you heard?

These guys have spent a lot of money on doing up the car park, they're running speedway open practice sessions, and I'd heard that they'd be quite amenable to the idea of bringing speedway back.      Are you saying they're not interested in speedway?

They're hardly likely to want to sell so soon, especially after investing in improvements to the car park.

Edited by PotteringAround

3 hours ago, pitstop84 said:

Think if rye house was sold that would be the only way they would be able to run speedway there again

Don't jump to conclusions and dont be too negative yet.

I have to say that it worries me that we seem to have total silence from the most forward thinking promotion in the National Development League! 

I just hope that the NDL AGM produces a positive outcome. I only got to two meetings in 2019, both at Smallbrook Stadium to see the Warriors, and both were very entertaining although Warriors suffered a home defeat in the first. 

If Buxton can return to action that would be a big positive and if Rye House are also able to run it would mean I could see a lot more meetings in 2020.

I really hope Rye House comes back, if IOW (yes I know they lost money in 2019) can make it pay, there is no reason why Rye cannot so the same.

Saw in this weeks SS Godfrey said there was interest from some clubs at the AGM who like to participate so might see some clubs run a NL side possibly?

I ve been told by a decent source that they are expecting between 8 and 10 teams in the NL. Not been told who the potential extras are though.

• Like 2

CVS is attending the AGM representing Cradley so there is some hope that we will continue, although I wouldn't imagine it's something he could do alone.  Wolves will have between 14 and 17 home meetings (I think!) depending on progress in playoffs/supporters cup so there will be a few free Mondays; although as this season there wouldn't be much room for manoeuvre when a few fall foul of the weather. 

13 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

I ve been told by a decent source that they are expecting between 8 and 10 teams in the NL. Not been told who the potential extras are though.

Let's take a stab at who they might be:

Mildenhall

Kent

Isle of Wight

Plymouth

Leicester Cubs

Belle Vue Colts

Sheffield/Scunthorpe all stars

Outside chance: Rye House and Swindon juniors

To be clear, just guesses from me and based a little on stuff I've read in various places.

I think moving forward hopefully the higher league clubs will all start to have some development side as a feeder. even if neighbour clubs entered a joint side sharing home fixtures. It may cost promoters a little in the short term but looking long term it has to  be cheaper to have a pool of local lads ready for the big leagues rather then importing riders. Equally a strongly supported NL gives potential new stand alone clubs a viable league to set out in, which in turn can only strengthen speedway across the board.

For the pinicle of the the sport to be stable the foundations need to be solid. I actually think if the BSPA were to get the NL back of a couple of years ago, when it was by far the best the league in the country. Get everything around the National League set up right and then adapt the sport moving up the levels accordingly  

• Like 6

If we don’t get a decent number of teams in the NL then a lot of those kids being trained at youth level are going to be scratching around for rides.

On 11/19/2019 at 12:46 PM, cityrebel said:

I never rated the chip bar at Rye, i always thought it was overrated. Mildenhall have always been the kings of that department.

I agree, however I along with a great many others found the Fish Bar at Mildenhall this season very sub-standard, so much so, that a lot of people now buy in the shop in West Row and eating them in their cars before entering the stadium.  Can only hope things improve in 2020.

4 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

I agree, however I along with a great many others found the Fish Bar at Mildenhall this season very sub-standard, so much so, that a lot of people now buy in the shop in West Row and eating them in their cars before entering the stadium.  Can only hope things improve in 2020.

Pretty poor fish and chips last season, as I said at the time.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 4:29 PM, Chris116 said:

I have to say that it worries me that we seem to have total silence from the most forward thinking promotion in the National Development League! 

I just hope that the NDL AGM produces a positive outcome. I only got to two meetings in 2019, both at Smallbrook Stadium to see the Warriors, and both were very entertaining although Warriors suffered a home defeat in the first. 

If Buxton can return to action that would be a big positive and if Rye House are also able to run it would mean I could see a lot more meetings in 2020.

We are still here :) We are just waiting on the outcome of the AGM which must afford clubs the opportunity to have a proper speedway product which the public will continue to embrace and develop. We will update everyone shortly after the AGM :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3