British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

2020 NL Season

Statement on BSPA site says:-

NATIONAL Development League clubs attended their AGM at Rugby on Tuesday.

The meeting was adjourned until December 16 when clubs should be in a position to finalise their declaration of intent to participate or otherwise.

The format of the competition can then also be finalised.

We thank everyone for their patience and understanding.

British Speedway Promoters' Association.

We have a little longer to wait for the news!

A solution to the problem might be a return to the format used in 1996(?) when the 3rd division was decided on a percentage basis. Teams could run as many meetings as they wished subject to a minimum number. That would allow the likes of IoW and Plymouth to run every week and the likes of Belle Vue to stage a lower number of meetings if they prefer. Far from ideal but it’s imperative to keep the third tier running. British Speedway will die if there is no third division.

15 minutes ago, Jancarz said:

A solution to the problem might be a return to the format used in 1996(?) when the 3rd division was decided on a percentage basis. Teams could run as many meetings as they wished subject to a minimum number. That would allow the likes of IoW and Plymouth to run every week and the likes of Belle Vue to stage a lower number of meetings if they prefer. Far from ideal but it’s imperative to keep the third tier running. British Speedway will die if there is no third division.

Hear, hear. It's great to win meetings and the league but we must never lose sight of the "Development" dimension of the third tier. If this level were to be lost, what other way do we see for our youngsters to progress through the ranks?

2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Statement on BSPA site says:-

NATIONAL Development League clubs attended their AGM at Rugby on Tuesday.

The meeting was adjourned until December 16 when clubs should be in a position to finalise their declaration of intent to participate or otherwise.

The format of the competition can then also be finalised.

We thank everyone for their patience and understanding.

British Speedway Promoters' Association.

We have a little longer to wait for the news!

Did not expect that...worries me now for future of NDL

• Like 1

Trouble is we now have a chairman of the BSPA who only cares about the present and will only worry about the future come November 2020. A Vice-Chairman who has no interest in junior racing or development and a NL coordinator who will do as he is told. Make of it what you will.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think this is the most detached and disappointed I’ve ever felt in regards to the National League. It really does seem like we’ve lost our third tier :(

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

So who turned up ? I heard a few rumours of  a couple of pl and cl teams running a nl team .

The quote from CVS in the Cradley Heathens statement "The aim is to ultimately return the third tier to a junior development league" must be a concern to stand alone Clubs, Yes its all very well for Senior Teams/Clubs who want to produce/find riders at little or no cost to themselves by running in the NL, however racing needs to be competitive otherwise fans simply wont go to watch Junior riders, I suggest the best format is what we have now, with junior leagues at a level below the NL, however the catch 22 situation arises when there are not enough Teams to form a National League without some Senior Teams tracking a Development Team. There is a big difference in standard between NL racing and Junior racing as we know it..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, greyhoundp said:

The quote from CVS in the Cradley Heathens statement "The aim is to ultimately return the third tier to a junior development league" must be a concern to stand alone Clubs, Yes its all very well for Senior Teams/Clubs who want to produce/find riders at little or no cost to themselves by running in the NL, however racing needs to be competitive otherwise fans simply wont go to watch Junior riders, I suggest the best format is what we have now, with junior leagues at a level below the NL, however the catch 22 situation arises when there are not enough Teams to form a National League without some Senior Teams tracking a Development Team. There is a big difference in standard between NL racing and Junior racing as we know it..

CVS isn't wrong although the difference i standard is splattered across the sport, the CL has 10 & 2 pointers in the same meetings, likewise the NL which is why there is a disparity in standard. Unfortunately the development leagues below have seen a rise in sub standard riders who are happy to use the meetings as practice laps. There are no gradings in these meetings so unfortunately there will be riders close to NL standard racing alongside riders who are barely sliding a bike. Its run and maintained by very helpful and friendly volunteers (who are probably too nice in several instances). I suspect a NDL will be in place but with limited meetings and possibly a strong cap on either team  or rider averages.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

Trouble is we now have a chairman of the BSPA who only cares about the present and will only worry about the future come November 2020. A Vice-Chairman who has no interest in junior racing or development and a NL coordinator who will do as he is told. Make of it what you will.

Sadly very true. Shameful!

Not good news, a sign of the times unfortunately. A third tier is definitely vital for British Speedway.

• Like 1

Hope for positive news on the 16th

I see Newcastle are confirmed next season in the CL so wonder if they will still let Plymouth in or if they will stay in the NL? 

While I share the worries that others have following the announcement which I quoted above, it is possible that things may be a lot rosier than we fear.

Maybe some new to NDL tracks were present and having found out how many teams could be in the NDL they have gone away to consider if they can run that many meetings (if they are running NDL as a second team) or to work out how to pad out the fixture list (if they are a new standalone team). The current teams also have the same considerations to think about so it is possible that the meeting was positive but all parties have gone away to consider the best way forward which they did not have time to do on Tuesday.

Time for everyone to keep their fingers crossed and hope for a positive outcome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I fully agree with those who say it is essential to keep the National League in business, but if this is to happen, then it has to be at a sustainable level for ALL of the clubs whether they be standalone or reserve teams of clubs from the Premiership or Championship. There has to be a cap on abilities at both the top and bottom end of the teams. Supporters don't like losing their star men, and I appreciate this, but allowing riders who are clearly too good for this level of racing to stay at the comfort level of the league is doing the competition no more favours than is pushing in young, inexperienced riders who are not ready. As we all know too well, continually sending out 10 point men and  2 point men against two 6 point opponents will give drawn races and usually a close scoreline - but it won't provide good racing - and the more 10 pointers allowed to stay in the National League will only push up the pay rates even further. The league is only as strong as its weakest member, so if the financially weaker clubs are left to drop out one by one, the league has no future.

• Like 4

Surely someone must know what clubs have declared an intent to run? And was one of them Rye House?