British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

2020 NL Season

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Just an update on the Rye House situation. I attended the Dragons amateur meeting there this afternoon, and the place is looking a mess. Parts of the car park have still got the lakes and the main entrance has been fenced off. The home straight grandstand and fish bar has been partly demolished. The moto cross circuit on the centre green looks very overgrown, but the floodlights still work and were used for the last hour of todays meeting. Spectator facilities at Rye are now at the bare minimum and a lot of work will be needed to improve this, for it to be fit to stage public events again.

Don't think Rye House is one of those planning to run in NDL

Heard it's a northern team but don't know which one, as in north  east or Scottish

What a shame about Rye ,gone right down hill since Len left?..Hopefully a decent Speedway promotion may return there.....   

• Like 1

Just now, waco said:

What a shame about Rye ,gone right down hill since Len left?..Hopefully a decent Speedway promotion may return there.....   

To be honest, i was shocked to see the grandstand being demolished. That was there when i first visited Rye back in 1972.

BMR have ruined the place!,,,,,,!

10 minutes ago, waco said:

BMR have ruined the place!,,,,,,!

I don't think BMR are responsible for the grandstand being pulled down, but they are to blame for the rest of the mess. Rye used to be such a pleasant place to watch speedway on a summers evening.

Who owns the Rye House stadium/premises now? 

And, if it its leased, who are they?

8 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Who owns the Rye House stadium/premises now? 

And, if it its leased, who are they?

I think the Karting people own it now.

I was also at Rye this afternoon and it did look sad to see the main stand partially demolished, especially as there were trophies sitting on the old tea bar counter. Hope they're removed before the rest is brought down. 

It was also noticeable that foundations have been laid so whilst the stand is coming down, something else will be built in its place. There's also walls being built behind the earth bank at turn 3 so somethings possibly going up there too. 

Overall the place looks awful at the moment. 

Someone said there was going to be a gym built in it's place. Seems strange to me.

Edited by cityrebel
Spelling mistake

Maybe they’re just developing the stadium for other sources of income to help maintain the cost of running the place? Don’t all be pessimistic. You never know whet might happen 

12 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I think the Karting people own it now.

Thank you. The kart track always look smart from what I see from the train window.

A building site never looks smart so let them finish the work before we complain about it. The old stand was not suitable for purpose and I always feared someone falling and getting badly hurt. While I have no objection to a gym, I do think they need a stand with seating both outside and behind glass. The problem with BMR was they started a rebuild on a number of areas but never finished any of them. What has happened to the motorcycle dealership that BMR claimed would be the saviour of the stadium? 

Edited by Chris116
Spelling!
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

A building site never looks smart so let them finish the work before we complain about it. The old stand was not suitable for purpose and I always feared someone falling and getting badly hurt. While I have no objection to a gym, I do think they need a stand with seating both outside and behind glass. The problem with BMR was they started a rebuild on a number of areas but never finished any of them. What has happened to the motorcycle dealership that BMR claimed would be the saviour of the stadium? 

Sitting there empty. People are creatures of habit. Demolishing the popular long bar was a big mistake by BMR. It was the start of the decline in my eyes.

14 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Sitting there empty. People are creatures of habit. Demolishing the popular long bar was a big mistake by BMR. It was the start of the decline in my eyes.

I agree that with hindsight knocking the old long bar down was a mistake but if they had got the motorcycle dealership up and running quickly it could have brought in a lot more profit 52 weeks of the year instead of 16 to 20 home meetings. With that profit they could have built a new and more fit for purpose stand and bar to further improve the stadium, instead all they did was knock things down and never finish them. 

Edited by Chris116

On 11/29/2019 at 3:55 PM, Sings4Speedway said:

Im guessing you weren't going regularly when Kings Lynn ran a NL side (in fairness not many people went regularly and that was the problem) however the comments from those who did attend and the visits i had was that the entertainment was far higher at NL level than the top flight gate and go. Shame it didn't prove to be sustainable in the end. 

I did go to some matches, and it was very entertaining, but viewing in an almost empty stadium is a spooky experience. Going back many years I hardly ever missed a "Starlets" meeting, those were the days!  Unfortunately the cost of attending any Lynn meeting for me now is quite expensive having to do a 100 mile round trip, and then programmes for myself and the wife etc leaves me little change out of  £60 taking fuel in to account. I'm a pensioner now (it comes to us all) so I pick and choose Lynn meetings, but getting back to my original comment, I do find NL racing very entertaining if somewhat unpredictable!

• Like 1