British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

2020 NL Season

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

When I went to Rye House for one of their first meetings in the Premiership, I was astonished at how many people were there - the place was packed, and I was told that some had been locked out the week before.

Knowing just how unwilling speedway fans are to switch support to another team - Coventry to Wolverhampton is the same distance as Purfleet to Hoddesdon, for example - I don't think that huge increase could be  even partly explained by Lakeside dropping into the NL. That's also highlighted by just how poor Lakeside's gates at Hoddesdon were - if you're not going to travel to watch your own team, you're surely not going to do it to watch another.

What did Rye House - as you have pointed out - was the need to move away from their established race night to midweek meetings (its hit Poole and Sheffield hard too). If they could ride on a Saturday,  I'd say its entirely possible the track could support an NL side.  After all, it supported a Championship one for years. 

Top flight racing on a Saturday night, did pull in very good crowds at Rye. A lot of those were not present when the Rockets were in the middle tier. The crowds had really dropped off during Len's last season at Hoddesdon. 'Big' names can still attract the fans, if the race night is favourable.

• Like 1

Race night made a big difference to Rye House, for me going there on a weekend is not too much trouble,  but during the week I wouldn't want to go anywhere near the A414, M11 or Harlow.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed we come out of monday with a 7 plus team league, sensible points limit, and the continuation of what has  been the best breeding ground for young brits in many years.

If Mondays conclusion is not favourable how many young brits with have expensive shiny ornaments sat on thier workbench, how much young talent would slip away from the sport.

Mondays meeting is genuinely up there as one of the most important meetings for the future of british speedway that there has been for generations.

Fingers crossed it all works out well. NL is the lifeblood of speedway in the uk.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

So who are the 7 rumoured teams?

1. Belle Vue

2. Isle of Wight

3. Kent

4. Leicester

5. Mildenhall

6. Plymouth

7. Mystery Team?

Who is the rumoured mystery team? Is it Oxford? Or is that too early for them? I don't even know the full situation for them... Maybe money bags Glasgow are going to put a Scottish team into the mix, to develop young Scottish riders (George Rothery, Luke Ruddick, Ryan MacDonald, Leon Flint) Or what about Rye House or Coventry? Presumably the facilities are all still somewhat there? Maybe the Yorkshire Dukes will finally open!! After taking everyone's gofundme money (Including £50 of mine) just not to appear (At Scunthorpe?) What about Buxton returning at their old track, which still holds racing in some form or another and plenty of speedway practice days... Hmmm... Interesting times ahead for the National League

I think I heard from somewhere it is a Scottish side. Hopefully if the news is good in the new year we will see Oxford again on track.

Yorkshire has gone quiet not sure what the latest is with that?

13 hours ago, Binman said:

Full team of Scottish rider's now that's interesting

Interesting but hard work for them. Looking forward to the away matches lads at IOW, Kent & Plymouth?

21 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Maybe money bags Glasgow are going to put a Scottish team into the mix, to develop young Scottish riders (George Rothery, Luke Ruddick, Ryan MacDonald, Leon Flint)

Are those actually Scots? I thought that Rothery was a Cumbrian, and Flint a Nothumbrian. They don't sound Scottish!

1 hour ago, *JJ said:

Are those actually Scots? I thought that Rothery was a Cumbrian, and Flint a Nothumbrian. They don't sound Scottish!

Yeah, but you don’t know Flint’s real Christian name:

Skin.        :)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, *JJ said:

They're not from Scotland necessarily... But at a youth/amateur level they've been heavily involved with the Scottish scene... Along with the likes of Kevin Whelan (Who's part Filipino) and maybe even Willie Lawson would consider the NL next year as a number 1 for a bunch of young Scots/Adopted Scots

The MIllar brothers too (Gregor and Lewis)

Edited by Dandelion

On 12/13/2019 at 5:46 PM, Dandelion said:

They're not from Scotland necessarily... But at a youth/amateur level they've been heavily involved with the Scottish scene... Along with the likes of Kevin Whelan (Who's part Filipino) and maybe even Willie Lawson would consider the NL next year as a number 1 for a bunch of young Scots/Adopted Scots

The MIllar brothers too (Gregor and Lewis)

Lawson can’t ride Championship and NL as I understand it as he’s had an average of over four in the second tier.

26 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Lawson can’t ride Championship and NL as I understand it as he’s had an average of over four in the second tier.

Does that preclude Ben Wilson too and Rob Ledwith?

6 hours ago, DC2 said:

Does that preclude Ben Wilson too and Rob Ledwith?

Hasn't Ben Wilson retired?