British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

2020 NL Season

12 minutes ago, DC2 said:

So no Anders Rowe, Drew Kemp, Max Clegg, Danny Ayres, Ben Morley, Ellis Perks or Tom Brennan?

I believe Morley would sneak in if that's the case?

Others would not.

Just now, HGould said:

I believe Morley would sneak in if that's the case?

Others would not.

Oh, I see, you can still ride in the NL if you have achieved a 4 point average in the CL as long as you don’t currently have a CL or PL club?

So Nathan Greaves could come back down too.

The guys who don’t get a pick from the CL need to be riding in this league as there is bound to be opportunities once the team changes start!

17 hours ago, Islander15 said:

They seem to have got it about right tbf. The points limit situation is better than last season and not much else you could’ve done meetings wise when there’s only 3 stand alone teams in the league. Hopefully the shared events get adequately supported. Nice to see a new team come in but I fear for the long journeys those Northern riders are going to have to make regularly and likewise for the riders of other clubs on a Friday night. 

To be fair they had to make those journeys to get a ride anyway; at least they can do it as a team next season. There is a decent crop of riders from the NJL who, hopefully, can form the basis of the new Devils.

Just now, Mike0310 said:

What about roynon as no 1 at Armadale he’s northern based.

Adam lives in Leicestershire now

13 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

What about Roynon as no 1 at Armadale he’s northern based.

12 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Adam lives in Leicestershire now

Some people think that is northern! :P

It’s a maximum of 1 rider per team that’s averaged over 4.00 at some point. Not that they can’t ride at all. 

Gutted for the second year on the trot there will be no speedway in either Hertfordshire or Essex

Whilst the NL has to be saved this doesn't look like a good plan. I admire Edinburgh having a go at giving the northern based young ones a team to aim for but their nearest rivals will be Belle Vue then Leicester .

The makeup of this division will see more lads ' retire ' during the season as the distances between tracks is just not cost effective for 'youngsters' , allegedly on £10 a point , or those trying to hold down full time employment. 

The new rules also look silly, we now have handicap racing which means the more inexperienced riders have more chance of being dropped from a ride having travelled for hours to get to a meeting .

Yet again we make the sport more complicated than it needs to be. Whilst I do think it's the best of a bad job , this is not a good strategy for the future of speedway.

9 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Whilst the NL has to be saved this doesn't look like a good plan. I admire Edinburgh having a go at giving the northern based young ones a team to aim for but their nearest rivals will be Belle Vue then Leicester .

The makeup of this division will see more lads ' retire ' during the season as the distances between tracks is just not cost effective for 'youngsters' , allegedly on £10 a point , or those trying to hold down full time employment. 

The new rules also look silly, we now have handicap racing which means the more inexperienced riders have more chance of being dropped from a ride having travelled for hours to get to a meeting .

Yet again we make the sport more complicated than it needs to be. Whilst I do think it's the best of a bad job , this is not a good strategy for the future of speedway.

Yes they have made some rules complicated but at least the "silliest" one's are in the National Trophy.

Handicap racing ok for individual meetings but a big NoNo for league racing!,,,! If they bring that in a lot of riders will pack it in.......

Edited by waco

Worth a trial in NL. The idea is to encourage more passing, I would think. 

I well remember when the Elite had an off 15m tactical rule, that could make for a thriller if a reserve or 2nd string was holding off a top guy.

This is a small trial, in a small competition, and it will be interesting to see if it works.

Speedway certainly needs to evolve/change.

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Unfortunately I do agree but any of the youngsters wanting to be professional riders have to go through the hard yards of running up and down the country for little or no reward. There are scores of riders doing it already in the junior leagues and amateur meetings and for second half’s. I do believe there is a mind set that riders believe they have made it once they get to the NDL and should earn a living . Unfortunately the reality is something very different it’s the first real step on a very greasy steep ladder

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Worth a trial in NL. The idea is to encourage more passing, I would think. 

I well remember when the Elite had an off 15m tactical rule, that could make for a thriller if a reserve or 2nd string was holding off a top guy.

This is a small trial, in a small competition, and it will be interesting to see if it works.

Speedway certainly needs to evolve/change.

Thank you Richard for your words of support.

The handicap and the gate change rules only apply to the NT competition, not the league, and were agreed by all three participating clubs as a way of creating something a little different. No rider will be left out of his/her nominated race, it is not a tactical substitution but a means of trying to do things differently. As you may know the IOW have held handicap races for a number of years and this season we tried 6 riders in the final for the first time so we keep innovating.  Some things work and some don't but unless you try, you will never know. 

• Like 5