British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

2020 NL Season

Never understood why teams sign (and more so announce riders before the age and rules are finalised etc)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TurnTwo said:

Never understood why teams sign (and more so announce riders before the age and rules are finalised etc)

Yep completely nuts. Do unofficial deals behind closed doors sure but public released riders is a little bonkers. Cynical other promoters could conspire against a strong early team build and set the rules accordingly.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Yep completely nuts. Do unofficial deals behind closed doors sure but public released riders is a little bonkers. Cynical other promoters could conspire against a strong early team build and set the rules accordingly.

Sure that has been done in the past when a team looks to be the making of good one. Bargain reserves, especially the new 2 pointers are the only ones the ambitious teams will and should sign up. 

23 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I only saw speedway once in the car stadium. Short straights and tight turns, not a track for the faint hearted!

The first Buxton track was absolutely appalling.....fortunately it was short lived

45 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Sure that has been done in the past when a team looks to be the making of good one. Bargain reserves, especially the new 2 pointers are the only ones the ambitious teams will and should sign up. 

not ndl but think brummies have 5-6 signed and pretty much announced (at our end of season bash) last week.

i think in social media age it's more of a hands off warning and waiting until after agm can be too late.

of course if you announce and then change league or promotion you do look a bit daft!

• Like 2

I remember Kent having built a team a few seasons ago and announced Luke Clifton among others in advance. When the agm happened and the points limit was lower than Len expected it meant that James Shanes was frozen out of the side as his average didn't quite fit. Had it not been announced in advance Clifton would have been quietly released Shanes signed with another 3.00 rider an potentially trophies at Kent before now.  

• Like 4

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't I suppose :neutral:

49 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I remember Kent having built a team a few seasons ago and announced Luke Clifton among others in advance. When the agm happened and the points limit was lower than Len expected it meant that James Shanes was frozen out of the side as his average didn't quite fit. Had it not been announced in advance Clifton would have been quietly released Shanes signed with another 3.00 rider an potentially trophies at Kent before now.  

Yes that definitely happened cos didn’t they have Ayres and Stoneman that year or something? But then the average limit dropped lower than expected. 

1 hour ago, Islander15 said:

Yes that definitely happened cos didn’t they have Ayres and Stoneman that year or something? But then the average limit dropped lower than expected. 

Thats the one. Hopwood already signed but not announced, Bowen & Clifton announced the the limit was lower than expected so neither Ayres or Shanes would fit and Stoneman was included rather than Ayres/Shanes and a 3 pointer .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Thats the one. Hopwood already signed but not announced, Bowen & Clifton announced the the limit was lower than expected so neither Ayres or Shanes would fit and Stoneman was included rather than Ayres/Shanes and a 3 pointer .

Yeah and Hopwood & Clifton were on low averages and Silver loves Bowen so they weren’t leaving. It’s almost like other promoters thought the prospective team would’ve been too good!

On 10/10/2019 at 10:10 AM, HGould said:

not ndl but think brummies have 5-6 signed and pretty much announced (at our end of season bash) last week.

i think in social media age it's more of a hands off warning and waiting until after agm can be too late.

of course if you announce and then change league or promotion you do look a bit daft!

Who are the 5-6 then in your opinion ?

10 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Who are the 5-6 then in your opinion ?

I think most of the team that finished the season with a change in reserve (Kemp or Stoneman) and a change at 1 (Adam will do Denmark) coming in I would punt one of the veterans either Scotty or Bomber - Scotty to get a midweek track to make TV easier on a Saturday  or Bomber to get nearer to his new base in East Midlands/Anglia.

Substantiated rumours tonight that Kent will join the top flight. There’s going to be no team s left at this rate :neutral:

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Substantiated rumours tonight that Kent will join the top flight. There’s going to be no team s left at this rate :neutral:

Been saying this for weeks.