British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Sheffield 2020

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

Turned us down apparently 

Before Sheffield moved up or after? If not at BV I could see him at Sheffield or maybe Swindon. If he goes to Swindon he could still stay with Middlo...? :unsure:

9 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Before Sheffield moved up or after? If not at BV I could see him at Sheffield or maybe Swindon. If he goes to Swindon he could still stay with Middlo...? :unsure:

Or missing uk all together ;)

14 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Or missing uk all together ;)

Hmmm, maybe! Would make turning BV turn more sense as the only other reason I could see him turning it down is geographical wise if he wants to still be based in the South. 

In the past the UK has been quite low down on his list of priorities, which he has said publicly at previous press and practice days! 

23 hours ago, gustix said:

Pause for thought. An estimated 4,000 Sheffield supporters were at West Ham for yeterday's football match.

When did the speedway team have a similar following for an away match?

And a tangent: that 4,000 total possibly equals how many watch three home speedway matches at Owerton.

Have you seriously not got anything better to do with your time? Seriously?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, gustix said:

Pause for thought. An estimated 4,000 Sheffield supporters were at West Ham for yeterday's football match.

And a tangent: that 4,000 total possibly equals how many watch three home speedway matches at Owerton.

13 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Have you seriously not got anything better to do with your time? Seriously?

Yes Pinny! That's why I posted my comment to show the comparison in interest between football and speedway.

Of even more interest - how many attending a home Sheffield speedway meeting actually travel to an away match. Certainly not 4,000 - what is an average home speedway attendance? Probably around 2,000?

Edited by Guest

2,000 average ! ! !    . have you been asleep from 1980 ? wake up and smell the coffee , rip v winkle .. Glasgow get a full house most weeks , whereas Poole dont . thats why they could be drop[ping down to the proper league in the U.K. 

• Like 1

You can't compare football to speedway.When Sheffield Wednesday were in the play off final we took 42,000 to Wembley and could have sold more but were refused more tickets on safety grounds.Everywhere Wednesday and United go they sell out their allocation whether it's 2000 or 6000 to normal away grounds.Some teams come to Hillsboro and bring 100 !!!!!! Football is way bigger than speedway .Our support at Sheffield could be better but as I've said in other threads speedway in Sheffield is competing with 2 football teams ,ice hockey,basketball,rugby,netball,non league football teams and that's without the night life in the city centre.Places like Scunthorpe Kings Lynn Poole have not got the same local competition when they are competing for people to spend their leisure time and money.I am fortunate that I can afford to go to both but there are loads who can only support one sport .If we can get 2000 -2500 next season our promotors would be over the moon.In reality 1500-2000 would be my guess and that's with a good team to support.Speedways days are numbered because of stupid rule changes ,poor track prep and drawn out meetings.

• Like 2

Sheffield has 50000 students that partly change year on year.  Potential numbers to attend from there if promoted favourably- free pint with admission?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, scunny1 said:

Sheffield has 50000 students that partly change year on year.  Potential numbers to attend from there if promoted favourably- free pint with admission?

sorry to push on yer bonfire . todays students are very savvy and can get entertainment at dirt cheap prices . these students have a routine all of their own and its handed down to the newbies (freshers) every new term. their routine is a tried and trusted method that has beed tested for a very long time  and works to perfection .. . its about living within their means and entertainment on the mega cheap . they aint going to hand money over just like that. i have had one gone through the uni ranks and now another one doing the same things as the first one did !

Sheffield need to offer about 20/30 or even 50  students  a block booking on entrance ,(on a different gate)but make if impossible to refuse the offer . new customers are out there , but the older ones are more savvy and pick n choose their meetings .

good luck with that . will it work. well , you will not know until Sheffield try it ................

BTW. not all student drink .lol

Edited by jenga

57 minutes ago, jenga said:

sorry to push on yer bonfire . todays students are very savvy and can get entertainment at dirt cheap prices . these students have a routine all of their own and its handed down to the newbies (freshers) every new term. their routine is a tried and trusted method that has beed tested for a very long time  and works to perfection .. . its about living within their means and entertainment on the mega cheap . they aint going to hand money over just like that. i have had one gone through the uni ranks and now another one doing the same things as the first one did !

Sheffield need to offer about 20/30 or even 50  students  a block booking on entrance ,(on a different gate)but make if impossible to refuse the offer . new customers are out there , but the older ones are more savvy and pick n choose their meetings .

good luck with that . will it work. well , you will not know until Sheffield try it ................

As a current student. Im not paying to go into a meeting, ive been to football, horse racing all for free and even rugby for £5 if you made it £1 people might go. 

Far better thinks available for what is around. 

7 hours ago, jenga said:

Think students retired from drinking a fair few years ago judging by the ghostly nature of Wolverhampton city centre after 19:00 on any night.

You can get students to go to sport, loads of Coventry University students at Coventry Ice Hockey on Sunday. They were all wearing a hoodie with Coventry Uni Sport on it. I guess wearing it.got them a discount.

Youngsters now either want to sit behind a games console all evening whilst messaging their friends on their smart phones , or go out and drink a shed load of booze. 

Speedway is not a cool sport anymore and probably never will be. You only have to see the crowd zoom ins whenever there is a live match. The average speedway fan in the UK must be about 50 at least surely. 

• Like 2

On 10/27/2019 at 10:51 AM, gustix said:

Sheffield United, not plain "Sheffield". 

Edited by Tigerblade
  • Like 2

prob not be on the threads on here so much now because of the move up but it has been a pprivelidge to read, and on occasions, partake in various topics.the best of luck to all champ clubs taking part next season.i will miss the banter and the championship.