British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Sheffield 2020

On 10/28/2019 at 10:27 AM, gustix said:

Yes Pinny! That's why I posted my comment to show the comparison in interest between football and speedway.

Of even more interest - how many attending a home Sheffield speedway meeting actually travel to an away match. Certainly not 4,000 - what is an average home speedway attendance? Probably around 2,000?

Thank god you did Gustix just last week when i was in a stadium of 60,000 people i looked around and thought “this is probably about the same as a speedway meeting” thank you for confirming this wasnt the case!!!! Speedway has never been anywhere near Football attendances just ridiculous to compare the two    

6 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Thank god you did Gustix just last week when i was in a stadium of 60,000 people i looked around and thought “this is probably about the same as a speedway meeting” thank you for confirming this wasnt the case!!!! Speedway has never been anywhere near Football attendances just ridiculous to compare the two    

in the last peak late 70's / early 80's it was for a while 2nd to soccer, a very poor 2nd, but that was b4 professional Rugby Union, the advent of T20 Cricket and Sunday/Evening horse Racing targetted at families and at a time when Dog Racing was a lot more popular too.

28 minutes ago, HGould said:

in the last peak late 70's / early 80's it was for a while 2nd to soccer, a very poor 2nd, but that was b4 professional Rugby Union, the advent of T20 Cricket and Sunday/Evening horse Racing targetted at families and at a time when Dog Racing was a lot more popular too.

There's also the fact that more sport is now available on TV through SKY & BT these days, so people don't have to leave the comfort of their armchairs to watch it.

19 minutes ago, Winditon said:

Ex World champion to sign for Sheffield 

That's the rumour, and it has legs. But I.will still be surprised if it happens 

Interesting, Holder/ Woffinden ?

If Woffinden was signed then that would certainly bring the masses back.

or a former World Champion other than Tai that has some Sheffield connections.

20 minutes ago, spin king said:

or a former World Champion other than Tai that has some Sheffield connections.

Hancock? 

Nicki is the rumour 

38 minutes ago, OdsalBoy said:

Interesting, Holder/ Woffinden ?

If Woffinden was signed then that would certainly bring the masses back.

Try Nicki Pedersen 

Edited by Winditon
Wrong spelling

Heard that a few weeks ago hope we don't sign pedersen. Don't think he's got the hunger that he had a few years ago mainly thro been in his 40 s. I know Greg Hancock s in his 40s but not had the amount of injuries nick I has had.Cant see him been a top number 1. If we do sign him I hope he proves me wrong.

1 hour ago, Charlieboy said:

Heard that a few weeks ago hope we don't sign pedersen. Don't think he's got the hunger that he had a few years ago mainly thro been in his 40 s. I know Greg Hancock s in his 40s but not had the amount of injuries nick I has had.Cant see him been a top number 1. If we do sign him I hope he proves me wrong.

You serious? 

Think he proved in Poland and Sweden he is still a superstar number 1. In the Premiership he will be 2nd to Doyle. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Hancock? 

No I was referring to Nicki Pedersen.

Used to live in Sheffield and his English mechanics are from Sheffield.