British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Sheffield 2020

Honestly

What a fantastic opportunity for Sheffield and their fans.

Good luck as you head off to pastures anew. Enjoy the experience and here is wishing you all the success for the future.

I will miss my visits to Owlerton but as it's only a couple of hours down the road I may be tempted down just to see the big boys ride.

All the best

THJ

• Like 5

This is tremendous news. Sheffield are a classy outfit and should definitely be mixing it at the top with the big boys, and a return to the traditional Thursday night is also a massive plus.

Now for the team ..

Macdonald in my opinion may find it a bit too hot in the Premiership, as will Kennedy although out of the two I personally would love to see Zaine return. Jake Allen would be a nice addition to the team too. As for number 1 i would love it if we went all out to bring a glitzy GP rider in, and why not ? !

Very excited as I am sure the majority of Sheffield fans are.

• Like 2

From a Belle Vue fans point of view, welcome back as a local rival. I can remember many great meetings between us when we were last in the same league. It also could  sort out our bank Holiday fixtures, and should bring a lot of fans to our meetings against each other. We could even re-introduce the Northern Trophy meeting at the start of the season in 2020, as a great warm up to the start of the season.

Good luck to the Tigers, just wish Worky were in a similar position. The fact that the new conference centre will be available to the speedway is a big plus for the fans.

• Like 2

Great to see Sheffield in the top league and I hope they are successful. Sheffield was my local track for a few years in the days of Sean Wilson and young Simon Stead and it was a brilliant place to be back then.

I read that the track isn't so good these days, but it certainly can be a brilliant track, as it was back then.

Good luck Tigers, we will miss our local  fixtures against you. Leicester and Redcar seem a long way for Scunny to have local away fixtures!  Will pop over now and again to get a Premier fix.:) 

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Great to see Sheffield in the top league and I hope they are successful. Sheffield was my local track for a few years in the days of Sean Wilson and young Simon Stead and it was a brilliant place to be back then.

I read that the track isn't so good these days, but it certainly can be a brilliant track, as it was back then.

The days of Sean Wilson and a young Simon Stead are days I will cherish forever. I can also remember when a young Lee Complin burst on to the scene and was thrilling to watch around Owlerton, with Nigel Pearson on the mic too. Amazing times ! 

• Like 2

Not a huge fan of Vaculik to be honest, seems to be out for long spells as he's had some serious tumbles in his time. Ambitious but Emil Sayfutdinov would certainly bring the masses in if he was our number 1 

cut your cloth accordingly and Sheffield speedway will survive . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scunny1 said:

Good luck Tigers, we will miss our local  fixtures against you. Leicester and Redcar seem a long way for Scunny to have local away fixtures!  Will pop over now and again to get a Premier fix.:) 

Will miss the derby matches..., not as much as Rob will miss the revenue the Sheffield supporters used to bring lol.

Used to love going and supporting the Tigers in the 70/80's, Scunny on a Monday, Sheffield on the Thursday... Its not been the same since we've been in direct competition with each other. Hopefully Sheffield will share one or two Scunny riders, might tempt me to make the occasional trip over. Good luck to them, hope it all works out.

13 hours ago, woodenspoon said:

We could even re-introduce the Northern Trophy meeting at the start of the season in 2020, as a great warm up to the start of the season.

Could be a good idea but you can have too much of a good thing. Maybe 2 home & 2 away fixtures v 1 club is more than enough? 

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Will miss the derby matches..., not as much as Rob will miss the revenue the Sheffield supporters used to bring lol.

Used to love going and supporting the Tigers in the 70/80's, Scunny on a Monday, Sheffield on the Thursday... Its not been the same since we've been in direct competition with each other. Hopefully Sheffield will share one or two Scunny riders, might tempt me to make the occasional trip over. Good luck to them, hope it all works out.

I would think that a few Scunthorpe supporters will still make the trip, even more to see Premiership teams(even though the NSS is not much further.

In reverse, if the track & racing does not improve, we might still see a few Sheffield supporters visit the entertainment venue of the EWR(probably not enough for Rob's liking);)

as for whether we will take any of last seasons tigers into the top league,

danny king -  mr Ipswich, will be surprised if he rides for anyone other than the witches in the prem.

drew kemp - again an Ipswich asset, so cant see drew coming back either,plus he would struggle in the prem.

ty proctor - looked like a novice at times round owlerton not the big hitter he should have been, cant see him figuring.

Justin sedgmen - short term signing, championship rider at best, don't think he will be on our radar.

kasper Andersen - not sure we would use him either,would only be reserve, unsure if hes a kings lynn asset too.

POSSIBLES AND PROBABLES

todd kurtz - personally I wouldn't consider him, but a favourite of the drillerman, could be a favourite for a reserve berth.

kyle Howarth - im sure we all would love the skipper back, would be a 2nd string, but likely to hit double figures at home, could be a trump card for us in the top league.

broc nicol - amidst rumours of KL/wolves, could do a tremendous job at reserve for us and is only going to improve ,and with our outlay on him I hope he shows the tigers management some loyalty. 

zaine kennedy - the all action hero of the terraces, would struggle in the top league, but worthy of consideration for a reserve berth as only going to improve, a doubling up deal would be ideal.(scunny are you listening)

josh macdonald - another to maybe consider for a reserve berth, but like zaine, I reckon he could struggle and would need a doubling up role,be nice to keep hold of him as an asset.

that could be 3 of these to fill team places, leaving 4 spaces to finish team building, reckon the poole riders, brady kurtz, josh graj, would fit the bill for any tigers follower, would not be surprised to see any of klindt, Charles wright, jake allen, richard Lawson,chris holder, but reckon a dark horse signing given steadys connections with him could be martin vaculik, as mentioned previously someone says injury prone, but he did ride every GP last season

Gunna miss the Sheff-Scunny derbys, was the highlight of seasons past... Glad to see the club not up for sale, and will make a trip or two to see Sheff in the top flight (preferably against BV)

• Like 1