British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

Glasgow v Somerset, play off 1st leg 27/9/19 @19-30

12 minutes ago, Gazc said:

There was a shower around 5.15 pm which lasted for about 15 mins it was torrential for that period , this probably ruined all the hard work the track staff put in getting the surface into a raceable condition.

Unfortunately these things happen and remembering the track took on a lot of rain during the week , british weather tends to do this at this time of year.

Paulco i doubt would have been shocked at the call off he would probably have expected it after the heavy shower but i will ask him , don't think i have seen him shocked at anything , so maybe a slight dramatisation there.

'so maybe a slight dramatisation there',,, unlike the torrential shower ? ;)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gazc said:

There was a shower around 5.15 pm which lasted for about 15 mins it was torrential for that period , this probably ruined all the hard work the track staff put in getting the surface into a raceable condition.

Unfortunately these things happen and remembering the track took on a lot of rain during the week , british weather tends to do this at this time of year.

Paulco i doubt would have been shocked at the call off he would probably have expected it after the heavy shower but i will ask him , don't think i have seen him shocked at anything , so maybe a slight dramatisation there.

Personally don’t think the shower hit Ashfield, we came through it at Euro central ,the streets in Possil  were  bone dry  and no puddles in road when we arrived at 6.10.and blue sky.Bottom line though match was off.Hey Ho, nothing new these days.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 2

I came through monsoon rain at The Forge, when I came to the Royal Infirmary it was dry from there to Ashfield. It was two hours before start time and the track staff were working on the track, I was very surprised to find it was off with a clear sky. O.K. I was at the track and it may  have been  different if I had arrived an hour later to find it off but I don't think enough time was given to allow work to be done on the track. I've heard that there was no consultation between the referee, riders or staff, if true that is shocking.

Edited by tyretrax
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, tyretrax said:

I came through monsoon rain at The Forge, when I came to the Royal Infirmary it was dry from there to Ashfield. It was two hours before start time and the track staff were working on the track, I was very surprised to find it was off with a clear sky. O.K. I was at the track and it may  have been  different if I had arrived an hour later to find it off but I don't think enough time was given to allow work to be done on the track. I've heard that there was no consultation between the referee, riders or staff, if true that is shocking.

maybe they were having flashbacks from the  Scunthorpe meeting .  

10 hours ago, tyretrax said:

So this confirms that it was the ref that called it off without consulting anyone? 

13 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

So this confirms that it was the ref that called it off without consulting anyone? 

A referee rarely calls off a meeting as they don't usually arrive at the track till 2 hours before the start. Meetings are called off by the promotion and if called off late in the day the host club can have some bills to pay ( ref, medics , away teams travel, etc) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

A referee rarely calls off a meeting as they don't usually arrive at the track till 2 hours before the start. Meetings are called off by the promotion and if called off late in the day the host club can have some bills to pay ( ref, medics , away teams travel, etc) 

It was called off at c6pm after positive messages from the clubs social media team. So the club must have thought it would be on based on weather forecast and the fact our track can dry out quickly. They had opened the gates andThere were fans already in the stadium. So yes the host club will have bills to pay. At least the forecast for today and tomorrow is OK. 

Edited by SharpenRake

2 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

2 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

That is what was said on the night.!

5 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

It was called off at c6pm after positive messages from the clubs social media team. So the club must have thought it would be on based on weather forecast and the fact our track can dry out quickly. They had opened the gates andThere were fans already in the stadium. So yes the host club will have bills to pay. At least the forecast for today and tomorrow is OK. 

I arrived just after half five and it was off, people were leaving to colleci their refund.

Maybe Rory phoned ahead and told the referee to check for damp patches ;).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Gazc said:

plus dirt and that swayed it.:P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tyretrax said:

I arrived just after half five and it was off, people were leaving to colleci their refund.

so gates open @ 5.30 pm . fans are let in .  a short time after 5.30 pm fans are getting refunds .. only in speedway , ehh .

2 hours ago, Gazc said:

I dread to think where!

• Haha 1

according to my sauce (HP)! all the damp patches were in red n white . :shock:

Edited by jenga

22 minutes ago, jenga said:

according to my sauce (HP)! all the damp patches were in red n white . :shock:

you sure they weren't brown ?