British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Playoff Semi Final 2nd Leg. Ipswich v Poole 28/9/19

Congrats to Ipswich, should have wrapped it up in first leg, and well done to Poole, finishing top, but ending the season with nuffink. Holder let them down at Swindon as well. Apart from him their team looks good. Just need 1 or 2 Brits. The Witches could surprise Swindon or Wolves as well.

Edited by auntie doris

I wrote Ipswich off before a wheel was turned at the start of the season because on paper the team looked shockingly poor.   Last night (and this season) showed that matches aren’t won on paper.  What is required is grit and determination and the witches had that by the bucket load and fully deserve their place in the final.  On paper, they will be the underdogs again but as Poole found out to their cost, you can never write them off.

Whether they do win or not, the Witches can be proud that they proved the doubters wrong (myself included).

Now to the other semis and who will meet the witches in the final.  I think either team are capable of winning and hopefully they show the same passion as the Witches.  #COYR

• Like 1

Congratulations to Ipswich and I hope they go on to win the Play-Off Final.  But it still seems crazy that a team that finished 4th in the league could possibly go down in the history books as league champions.  
As I said, I do want Ipswich to win the Play-off final, but to me, Poole are league champions this year, not Ipswich, Swindon or Wolverhampton, they should be separate competitions.

I thought a couple of races were quite good, but what a terrible track for overtaking on, other than if someone makes a mistake, but sadly, to many tracks are like that these days.      

• Like 4

10 hours ago, iwright71 said:

We don't have to watch this again in the Final do we ? Can we not use the  stadium replacement rule and get a leg  of the Grand Final at the National Speedway Stadium so we at least see some speedway racing in the play offs instead of a gating tournament. Lets be honest if it hadn't been close tonight who would have switched off tonight after 4 heats. As someone who doesn't support either team or have a perverse affliction to Poole getting stuffed it was an absolute bore fest.  Still those protectionists out there will tell me the racing is better than ever ! . No secret to why attendances drop year on year and the sport slowly dies

It's been said for years that the rocket ship equipment doesn't suit the tracks over here. If they were all like the NNS then they would be OK. 

Add the equipment to the fact that the attitude and track craft of some appears to only suit full throttle and hang on for dear life.

• Like 1

Ipswich has never been a great passing track, Chris Louis really ought to get it sorted ....

9 hours ago, cowboycookfan said:

Special mention to @presenter for the most Witches warcries in a match. I think John Earrey would have been proud.

John Earrey, a legend at the White City!

Sometimes in speedway its teamwork and commitment that counts more than ability and higher averages  , last night both counted in spades

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Trees said:

Ipswich has never been a great passing track, Chris Louis really ought to get it sorted ....

The track was massively widened in 2010 and both bends have been adjusted since. So it’s a tad unfair as they have tried. We are a bit limited as we don’t own the stadium and further banking cannot be added due to the stock car track. 

When it’s stock cars and the fence is removed the cars cannot have a big kerb as the use the speedway track as a run off area

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Asking where someone is, is not bullying. Trying to isolate someone is.(which ganging up often leads to).  I just don't agree with what Gavan says and say so. But if he or anyone else thinks I have bullied him I will apologise, not my intention! :)

Gavin talks a lot more sense than you do most of the time

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Just got back. Horrible journey in the rain and gales. Here’s a little rant, mostly aimed at underperforming Poole riders.

A frustrating couple of meetings. Poole were are far superior side but luck and a bad attitude played their part to even things up. The short and sharp rain shower just before the first leg allowed Ipswich the opportunity they took this evening. I believe if the track hadn’t got the heavy downpour  we would have won by 20 plus points and would have got away with it tonight.

But an EF for Covatti in heat one when well clear, plus him losing a steel shoe latter, was unfortunate for us. Add to that the attitude of Holder and Kurtz and we were always going to come unstuck in the later heats. We had no cover.Our two reserves were actually worse than useless tonight. Both Wells and Jonasson, together with Holder and Kurtz, couldn’t handle a track which had been doctored, (which the home team are entitled to do)and basically gave up. They didn’t want to know.

Nicolai Klindt, Josh Gracjzonek and Nico Covatti did all they could and should be praised for their efforts. Yes the track was diabolical with Iversen far from happy but they got on with it. Kurtz and Holder have let their club down, their team mates down and the Poole fans down. I am pretty sure Middlo is pissed off with them right now and so will be Matt Ford, who has just lost a big payday due to these big girls blouses. It was an abject, dismal performance and not of a standard we expect from our team. Where was the passion from our “top two?”

Sure Ipswich got lucky in the first leg with the weather, but we should have managed to defend against a team, with due respect, who are not as strong.

I hope next season sees the return of Klindt, Gracjzonek and Covatti. Those three have battled all season for the cause. The same cannot be said of the other two, who IMO haven’t shown the right attitude when it matters. When is the last time we have seen Kurtz actually battle through? Not this season. Holder? The same.

This seasons Poole team has been the weakest I have known for years. How on Earth we finished top is anyones guess.

Well done to Ipswich in making the final. I don’t think you will stand a chance against either Wolves or Swindon but at least you are in it. And that’s what counts. Congrats.

:rofl:

As is often quoted the other way......

Chomp chomp chomp :cheers:

Best night of speedway for a long time...everyone wrote us off

Even Poole playing their IRR trick couldn't stop us :cheers:

Doesn't really matter what happens in the final...we got there

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Is jack holder due to ride in Poland or has his season finished over there ?

don't really matter now 

2 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

It does to me.  I want to know if he faked injury last night 

Chipped his toe nail and tore his best socks

• Haha 1