British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Playoff Semi Final 2nd Leg. Ipswich v Poole 28/9/19

1 minute ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The back straight settings holds 3000+  - I'd estimate it was nearly half full

The crowd was standing at least 5-6 deep right round from the home straight to the back straight

Only bends 3 and 4 are never used

2500 -3000 range would be my guess although down from what was likely had the weather been fine

I know Chrus was certainly very pleased with the turnout given the weather and tv 

Fair enough if that’s what they are saying it just didn’t look that impressive from the angle of the tv cameras

Fair play to Ipswich, they wanted it more in both legs when the conditions were tricky in the wet. Shame half the Poole team including the No's 1 & 5 lost interest when anything other than slick track flat out drag racing was required!

Decent crowd at Foxhall last night, certainly 2500 present I reckon. Foxhall even with modern health and safety and the 3rd and 4th bends off limits to fans is still a large stadium in speedway circles. The 2 open seated stands that stand above the terracing hold 3500 between them!

Had to laugh when I saw the King's Lynn fan commenting on the poor passing nature of the Foxhall track. I agree on that whole heartedly but King's Lynn in modern laydown rocketship speedway bike times has become a very difficult track to overtake on! 

Edited by 25yearfan

27 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

People have to realise we had a monsoon on Friday and the track was literally under water. They done a fantastic job getting the track in the shape it was. 

BCD, the crowd was huge last night! And the atmosphere was electric, best I can remember for many many years. 

Seen a comment on here that the atmosphere was poor, can’t quite believe that comment. Maybe it came across that way on TV I don’t know, but certainly wasn’t the case at the stadium. 

Air horns are banned at Foxhall BTW. 

The crowd was not huge. Decent is the best way to describe it. Thought the atmosphere was very flat until the end obviously. Different clubs have fans that react differently to the racing. At Poole the roof comes off the stand while at another club the race is received with almost polite clapping.

Certainly in this semi the result was decided by the weather conditions which affected the race track, especially at Poole. What I am not sure of is why Poole had to have the first leg. There is an advantage to go second so why go first? Made no sense.

As for next season, who knows? Pretty sure three are nailed on if they want the spots. Klindt, Grajczonek and Covatti should be invited back. I don’t believe Holder has done himself any favours and hasn’t improved at all this season. Same can be said of Kurtz who tends to go missing when the pressure is on. How on earth we finished top with these riders is a testament to a weak league as this has been the worst Poole team for many years. The thing is, the team is run as a business and if there’s no money you are not going to get quality riders. The months of r/r were not improved with Wells and Jonasson, though the latter did his job in the first leg. Neither have any chance of returning next season.

At the end we were beaten by a lesser team (no disrespect intended) who basically wanted it more. We should never lose under such circumstances. Poole riders not fancying difficult conditions is not the Poole way. We expect total commitment to the cause. This has been the Poole way for the last two decades. Not feigning injury because conditions are not to a riders liking. That is gutless, weak and pathetic. 

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ray c said:

You know darn well he did 

I would like to think any sports person in a professional sport would not cheat. 

The next question is did he throw a hissy fit or was he under team orders. Whichever one it is it’s a absolute disgrace.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

Had to laugh when I saw the King's Lynn fan commenting on the poor passing nature of the Foxhall track. I agree on that whole heartedly but King's Lynn in modern laydown rocketship speedway bike times has become a very difficult track to overtake on! 

I think all Lynn fans on here know that and know ie too much clay in the dirt which suits cars but not bikes. That doesn’t mean we can’t comment on the racing elsewhere. 

I think there were reasons it was poor last night, from my point of view I went to the Foxhole many times between 1992 and 2002 (was a regular in 1999 when I lived in Chelmsford) and the shape of the track now is a million times better than it was then. 

7 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I would like to think any sports person in a professional sport would not cheat. 

The next question is did he throw a hissy fit or was he under team orders. Whichever one it is it’s a absolute disgrace.  

Id like to know how you can hurt a toe,which is encased in boot which is also protected by a steel shoe. 

I said I was embarrassed at the time. Still am this morning.

Karma came back and bit us on the backside. Justice.

Ive said it before and happy to say it again, well done Ipswich. Fully deserved.

Edited by BobC
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, BobC said:

Id like to know how you can hurt a toe,which is encased in boot which is also protected by a steel shoe. 

Ive said it before and happy to say it again, well done Ipswich. Fully deserved.

And finally after all these years you have finally seen and even admitted that Poole cheat. Its amazing what a different view you get when you take off the rose tinted glasses!!

13 minutes ago, BobC said:

You can certainly break a toe inside a boot if it isn't a completely snug fit. All it needs is a hard enough impact to hammer the toe against the inside of the boot. That said, I didn't believe Holder either. 

14 minutes ago, BobC said:

Fair play to you.  I have to say also that Middleditch josh g and Nicolai were gracious in defeat and a credit to your club. 

I

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I think all Lynn fans on here know that and know ie too much clay in the dirt which suits cars but not bikes. That doesn’t mean we can’t comment on the racing elsewhere. 

I think there were reasons it was poor last night, from my point of view I went to the Foxhole many times between 1992 and 2002 (was a regular in 1999 when I lived in Chelmsford) and the shape of the track now is a million times better than it was then. 

That was the first major alteration to the track back in 2010, they’ve taken the bends in twice more since then. The old track was often criticised as being far too narrow to produce good racing which was fair enough. Chris Louis is on record as saying riders came to Foxhall and were already beaten before it started as they never had the confidence to race and attack the track because of its confined spaces. 

That certainly isn’t the case now, there’s plenty of room so that excuse can’t be used anymore. When I used to see comments on here about Foxhall I always thought other tracks were so lucky to produce far better racing. 

That was until I was forced in to early retirement and had more time on my hands to travel to away meetings. The last few years I’ve visited just about every track in the championship and now the premiership, and the fact is I’ve seen very few that offer anything much different to what I’ve seen at Foxhall! 

There’s a few select tracks that most of us know, that seem to produce good racing more often than not. Scunthorpe, Somerset, Peterborough and now of course the NSS being the best of the lot. 

But the truth is the majority are much of a muchness that will serve up poor meetings, average/ok meetings and a few very good meetings here and there. 

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

People have to realise we had a monsoon on Friday and the track was literally under water. They done a fantastic job getting the track in the shape it was. 

BCD, the crowd was huge last night! And the atmosphere was electric, best I can remember for many many years. 

Seen a comment on here that the atmosphere was poor, can’t quite believe that comment. Maybe it came across that way on TV I don’t know, but certainly wasn’t the case at the stadium. 

Air horns are banned at Foxhall BTW. 

Huge!!!!!!!!!!!........... if you want to see a “huge” crowd at Foxhall, have a look this coming Saturday!!

I sincerely hope Jack Holder was watching the rugby just now. Ok,Australia lost to Wales,but boy oh boy didnt they put up a fight.

Thats how you do it Jack, fight with all your might till the end. Give everything.

Unlike you last night.

40 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The crowd was not huge. Decent is the best way to describe it. Thought the atmosphere was very flat until the end obviously. Different clubs have fans that react differently to the racing. At Poole the roof comes off the stand while at another club the race is received with almost polite clapping.

Certainly in this semi the result was decided by the weather conditions which affected the race track, especially at Poole. What I am not sure of is why Poole had to have the first leg. There is an advantage to go second so why go first? Made no sense.

As for next season, who knows? Pretty sure three are nailed on if they want the spots. Klindt, Grajczonek and Covatti should be invited back. I don’t believe Holder has done himself any favours and hasn’t improved at all this season. Same can be said of Kurtz who tends to go missing when the pressure is on. How on earth we finished top with these riders is a testament to a weak league as this has been the worst Poole team for many years. The thing is, the team is run as a business and if there’s no money you are not going to get quality riders. The months of r/r were not improved with Wells and Jonasson, though the latter did his job in the first leg. Neither have any chance of returning next season.

At the end we were beaten by a lesser team (no disrespect intended) who basically wanted it more. We should never lose under such circumstances. Poole riders not fancying difficult conditions is not the Poole way. We expect total commitment to the cause. This has been the Poole way for the last two decades. Not feigning injury because conditions are not to a riders liking. That is gutless, weak and pathetic. 

sorry steve if brady and jack done a half a job last night we would have been in the final 

34 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

give matt a ring don't ask me :cheers:

Agree totally Arch Stanton but from what I've seen the racing on the widened track is rarely any better than it was before 2010!

That said in recent times Ipswich is now not inferior to King's Lynn in terms of the ability to overtake and produce good racing. It was for many years until the early 00's!