Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Playoff Semi Final 2nd Leg. Ipswich v Poole 28/9/19

46 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The crowd was not huge. Decent is the best way to describe it. Thought the atmosphere was very flat until the end obviously. Different clubs have fans that react differently to the racing. At Poole the roof comes off the stand while at another club the race is received with almost polite clapping.

Certainly in this semi the result was decided by the weather conditions which affected the race track, especially at Poole. What I am not sure of is why Poole had to have the first leg. There is an advantage to go second so why go first? Made no sense.

As for next season, who knows? Pretty sure three are nailed on if they want the spots. Klindt, Grajczonek and Covatti should be invited back. I don’t believe Holder has done himself any favours and hasn’t improved at all this season. Same can be said of Kurtz who tends to go missing when the pressure is on. How on earth we finished top with these riders is a testament to a weak league as this has been the worst Poole team for many years. The thing is, the team is run as a business and if there’s no money you are not going to get quality riders. The months of r/r were not improved with Wells and Jonasson, though the latter did his job in the first leg. Neither have any chance of returning next season.

At the end we were beaten by a lesser team (no disrespect intended) who basically wanted it more. We should never lose under such circumstances. Poole riders not fancying difficult conditions is not the Poole way. We expect total commitment to the cause. This has been the Poole way for the last two decades. Not feigning injury because conditions are not to a riders liking. That is gutless, weak and pathetic. 

For once Steve I agree with you entirely . See you next season but what format British speedway will take and what type of team we have remains to be seen I just hope holder certainly isn’t in the team and probably Kurtz as well

Does this result mean that Poole now have a spare date that they can run their round of the British Youth Championship on?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Must be serious inquest at Poole. The 4th. team in the league dominates the top team for 75% of play offs, they must have wanted it a lot more.

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The crowd was not huge. Decent is the best way to describe it. Thought the atmosphere was very flat until the end obviously. Different clubs have fans that react differently to the racing. At Poole the roof comes off the stand while at another club the race is received with almost polite clapping.

Certainly in this semi the result was decided by the weather conditions which affected the race track, especially at Poole. What I am not sure of is why Poole had to have the first leg. There is an advantage to go second so why go first? Made no sense.

As for next season, who knows? Pretty sure three are nailed on if they want the spots. Klindt, Grajczonek and Covatti should be invited back. I don’t believe Holder has done himself any favours and hasn’t improved at all this season. Same can be said of Kurtz who tends to go missing when the pressure is on. How on earth we finished top with these riders is a testament to a weak league as this has been the worst Poole team for many years. The thing is, the team is run as a business and if there’s no money you are not going to get quality riders. The months of r/r were not improved with Wells and Jonasson, though the latter did his job in the first leg. Neither have any chance of returning next season.

At the end we were beaten by a lesser team (no disrespect intended) who basically wanted it more. We should never lose under such circumstances. Poole riders not fancying difficult conditions is not the Poole way. We expect total commitment to the cause. This has been the Poole way for the last two decades. Not feigning injury because conditions are not to a riders liking. That is gutless, weak and pathetic. 

Wah wah wah wah Charlie Brown, more excuses for losing. Wrong weather, not having first leg, better team, better atmosphere at Poole. You are definitely one of those people where everything is better at your club, but it ain’t. You were beaten by the better team, end of.

I say one thing you’re better at bending the rules, but this time cheats didn’t prosper 

Edited by Bash
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ray c said:

sorry steve if brady and jack done a half a job last night we would have been in the final 

Where am I disagreeing with you?:blink:

12 minutes ago, Bash said:

Wah wah wah wah Charlie Brown, more excuses for losing. Wrong weather, not having first leg, better team, better atmosphere at Poole. You are definitely one of those people where everything is better at your club, but it ain’t. You were beaten by the better team, end of.

I say one thing you’re better at bending the rules, but this time cheats didn’t prosper 

Steve isn't making excuses just laying the reasons for the defeat. I thought it was a very honest and reasonable post. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Steve isn't making excuses just laying the reasons for the defeat. I thought it was a very honest and reasonable post. 

Of course they’re excuses! The only “reason” Poole didn’t make the final, is because over the two legs they were beaten by the better side. 

It’s pretty simple. 

• Like 3

It looked quite dark on the terraces so hard to see how many was there, I wasn't looking anyway, but nonetheless surely there must have been at least 1000 Poole fans there? I mean we are told frequently how big the club is when it comes to support, and you rarely see the main stand empty on a sky night, even for a fairly meaningless fixture or do the large majority of their fans not recognise speedway away from Wimbourne Road?

Everyone bashes Foxhall, but Chris Louis has tirelessly tried to improve the track within the constraints placed upon doing so over the last few years, and often cites how difficult it has been making it better for the current bikes and how they ride! In addition being honest in my opinion when the weather has played ball this year in the days leading up to and the day of the meeting the track has been prepared very well and produced good racing. This week leading up to Saturday there’s been heavy rain on and off all week with Friday afternoon being particularly torrential!

jack holder was a disgrace last night, irrespective of whether it’s a real or fake injury if he’d have brought the correct attitude attacked the track and given his all trying to help his team reach the final he wouldn’t have fallen and hurt/not hurt himself - there’s no valid reason a rider of his ability couldn’t race hard last night, he just didn’t fancy it.

up the witches, well done to all our boys dug deep all scored important points and we’re in the final!! 

Just now, marko said:

It looked quite dark on the terraces so hard to see how many was there, I wasn't looking anyway, but nonetheless surely there must have been at least 1000 Poole fans there? I mean we are told frequently how big the club is when it comes to support, and you rarely see the main stand empty on a sky night, even for a fairly meaningless fixture or do the large majority of their fans not recognise speedway away from Wimbourne Road?

Foxhall is a big stadia. An average looking crowd at Foxhall would look huge at most other venues. 

• Like 1

Fact is the result is good for G.B. speedway, success needs to be spread around. All teams should start the season pretty equal - therefore leading to potential equal success @ the end. Poole's domination of the league during Matt Fords reign has been great for Poole but bad for G.B. speedway in general.........

• Like 3

Well done to Ippo for winning the tie fully deserved have to say Bomber and James Sarjeant really rode there socks off.Chris often gets unwarranted criticism but  by god he is fully committed in every race.If i was Poole i would sign Harris on his false average for next season i have said all season this  Poole team was vulnerable and i fancied Ipswich to beat them.Ipswich now can go into the final with every confidence nothing to fear and they will be tough to beat especially at Foxhall.

• Like 1

Bomber is a British Bulldog, how The Poirates could have done with some bulldog spirit, like him, Lawson or Kingy. Seems a few Aussies don't like a wet track.

Edited by auntie doris