British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough Panthers 2020

If Phil The Ace is right and I hope he is tbh then I think we have a team that's capable of challenging. 

Don't forget anyone who rides poorly on the night can be replaced by a rider of the same or even better standard. 

Solid teams where all riders are capable of scoring 6 points a night minimum which would mean a league point out of every single meeting.

5 hours ago, Rockstar99 said:

If Phil The Ace is right and I hope he is tbh then I think we have a team that's capable of challenging. 

Don't forget anyone who rides poorly on the night can be replaced by a rider of the same or even better standard. 

Solid teams where all riders are capable of scoring 6 points a night minimum which would mean a league point out of every single meeting.

Utter codswallop.. that team will be the finish of The Panthers. After three early season home defeats there won't be anybody paying to watch. Have another look at Sheffield, Belle Vue and Swindon sides chap.

Why do the management persist with the notion that just because the track is fast its good. A few years ago Peter Karlsson said The Showground was one of, if not the best track in the world. It seemed to me that if you got out of the gate last year you won, with a few exceptions. Buster can do it, the track he did for the World Team Cup that year was really really good... has anybody kept the program because I'm sure the times weren't that fast.

Whilst I'm moaning... who's in charge of the marketing? On the day its announced that last year's best rider has signed for Belle Vue we announce MPT! Who thought that was going to encourage some decent sponsorship or help sell some season tickets? Although has season ticket pricing been advertised? People like to buy each other presents this time of year don't they?

What confuses me is, if you're going to spend all that money on buying the club and then why not invest in riders to make it a success? The business model is bound to fail.

11 hours ago, moorelsm said:

Why do the management persist with the notion that just because the track is fast its good. 

I said that throughout the whole of last season, the better races were when the times were slower.  Did we break the track record 2 times last year or was it more? Fricke (57.9) and King (57.4) definitely did. The better races round the showground are when its 59+.

• Like 1

Its strange that theres not that much real difference in Palm Toft's average to that of Charles Wright, yet its assumed that Wright is looked upon as the better prospect and rider, if Wright was included in the Peterborough team would it really make the side stronger than having MPT in going on the slight difference of there averages.

12 hours ago, moorelsm said:

Utter codswallop.. that team will be the finish of The Panthers. After three early season home defeats there won't be anybody paying to watch. Have another look at Sheffield, Belle Vue and Swindon sides chap.

Why do the management persist with the notion that just because the track is fast its good. A few years ago Peter Karlsson said The Showground was one of, if not the best track in the world. It seemed to me that if you got out of the gate last year you won, with a few exceptions. Buster can do it, the track he did for the World Team Cup that year was really really good... has anybody kept the program because I'm sure the times weren't that fast.

Whilst I'm moaning... who's in charge of the marketing? On the day its announced that last year's best rider has signed for Belle Vue we announce MPT! Who thought that was going to encourage some decent sponsorship or help sell some season tickets? Although has season ticket pricing been advertised? People like to buy each other presents this time of year don't they?

What confuses me is, if you're going to spend all that money on buying the club and then why not invest in riders to make it a success? The business model is bound to fail.

Look at Ipswich last year. They didn't have a No.1 but still made the Grand Final. Solid 1-7 with strong reserves.

This league is pish poor. We really don't need a No.1 to be competitive.

As for the teams mentioned above. I only rate Swindon's 1-7. 

Both Belle Vue and Sheffield are way overrated imo. 

Belle Vue - No.1 is a proven choke artist who could never get the job done for the Pirates, No.5 Killer is back in the UK because he's failed abroad. S. Worrall never improved. Very average 1-7 imo.

Sheffield - Nicki P was poor the last time he rode in the UK, Two reserves who aren't good enough to ride in this league, Howarth & Lawson who have never improved. Solid at home but will struggle big time on the road imo.

Then look at other possible sides - How many years have Masters & Thorssell failed to improve at Wolves. Klindt at No.1 for the Witches unless things change so a solid 1-7 being built again, King's Lynn same crap that's been failing for years in the engine room whilst one possible reserve that already flopped in the Championship against much weaker opposition.

With Peterborough - Hans, Nicholls, Bomber and BWD can all improve there starting GSA's whilst Tungate, MPT & Bech can at least maintain there's. I see no reason why we couldn't finish 3rd or 4th with Phil The Aces' 1-7

20 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Swindon will finish meetings off well though in heats 12 13 14 and 15

There is a reserve in 12 and 14 so a lot of pressure on 3 and 4 to win those races.

28 minutes ago, Rockstar99 said:

Then look at other possible sides - How many years have Masters & Thorssell failed to improve at Wolves. 

Wrong, the averages say different. Masters improved every year from 2016 - 2018. 7.18 to 7.92 to 8.11. It was only this season that his average dropped.

Jacob climbed from 7.06 to 8.64 a huge climb in 2017 but hasn’t improved on that the past 2 seasons although he did increase his average slightly this season from 2018.

13 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Wrong, the averages say different. Masters improved every year from 2016 - 2018. 7.18 to 7.92 to 8.11. It was only this season that his average dropped.

Jacob climbed from 7.06 to 8.64 a huge climb in 2017 but hasn’t improved on that the past 2 seasons although he did increase his average slightly this season from 2018.

13 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

But at the stages in their careers that they are at too right their averages should be increasing each season especially as the league weakens continually season after season.  

26 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

I'm 100% right look at Sam Masters career. Quit Championship racing to test himself abroad. He failed miserably so he's now back in the Championship full time. Jacob Thorssell you've just proven me right above. Hasn't improved for two years and the only time he did improve is when Fast Freddie took the work load off his shoulders. Much like Nick Morris at Swindon when Doyley took a lot of pressure of his shoulders.

You've got a decent team but the top two aren't exactly anything to be scared of away from home. 

Honestly guys you need stop worrying about Phil The Ace's 1-7.

It's a good side and I would snap anyone's hand off if they offered me that side.

In Britain there are two possibly three No.1's if Batchelor rides well. Jason Doyle, Robert Lambert are the only true No.1's and that is it.

Then the rest of the riders are either one of the following.

1. Not good enough to ride in the league and are only signed to contracts because clubs ran out of points to play with 

2. Is full of riders on a level playing field and they can all beat each other on any given night.

12 minutes ago, Rockstar99 said:

Honestly guys you need stop worrying about Phil The Ace's 1-7.

It's a good side and I would snap anyone's hand off if they offered me that side.

In Britain there are two possibly three No.1's if Batchelor rides well. Jason Doyle, Robert Lambert are the only true No.1's and that is it.

Then the rest of the riders are either one of the following.

1. Not good enough to ride in the league and are only signed to contracts because clubs ran out of points to play with 

2. Is full of riders on a level playing field and they can all beat each other on any given night.

That's exactly what GB Speedway needs ...  "riders on a level playing field and they can all beat each other on any given night"  .... good close racing !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockstar99 said:

I'm 100% right look at Sam Masters career. Quit Championship racing to test himself abroad. He failed miserably so he's now back in the Championship full time. Jacob Thorssell you've just proven me right above. Hasn't improved for two years and the only time he did improve is when Fast Freddie took the work load off his shoulders. Much like Nick Morris at Swindon when Doyley took a lot of pressure of his shoulders.

You've got a decent team but the top two aren't exactly anything to be scared of away from home. 

As proven 100% wrong regards Masters. Only this season has his average dropped in 4 seasons. What he does in the championship and abroad is irrelevant to his proven top flight record.

1 hour ago, maneacat said:

But at the stages in their careers that they are at too right their averages should be increasing each season especially as the league weakens continually season after season.  

Yes I agree. Jacob hasn’t really kicked on but Masters had 3 years continuous of improvement until this season and hopefully he can add more again next season.

54 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

As proven 100% wrong regards Masters. Only this season has his average dropped in 4 seasons. What he does in the championship and abroad is irrelevant to his proven top flight record.

You say Masters has kicked on. 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017 he rode for the Edinburgh Monarchs in the second tier of British Speedway. 

In 2018 Sam Masters quit the second tier of British Speedway to try his luck abroad. 

In late 2019 and now signed up for 2020 Sam Masters is back at square one. 

Tried his luck abroad like Craig Cook. Realised he wasn't good enough so has to settle for the easy money in the Championship. 

Edited by Rockstar99