British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough Panthers 2020

22 minutes ago, Warren2 said:

I am pretty sure I clicked on the Peterborough Panthers 2020 Thread....

Next rider announcement sounds like it will be Xmas Eve, will it be another ‘New’ signing or a returning rider from 2019?

Think it will be at the end of this week if the tweet is correct, I read it earlier and I think it said news later this week 

1 hour ago, Rockstar99 said:

question to acef and stevebrum.

What is your opinion on Chris Harris. Is he on the decline?

He is most unlikely to improve in my opinion and is now very much  a "curates' egg". Brilliant flashes but often very poor indeed.

1 hour ago, Rockstar99 said:

question to acef and stevebrum.

What is your opinion on Chris Harris. Is he on the decline?

Theoretical, yes.

I haven't looked at his average over the last few years but I'd imagine the numbers will back it up.

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Not necessarily the case due to the heat format in operation now I'm afraid.

The Wolves riders are case in point regarding that.

Any of Masters, Schlein and Thorssell saw their averages rocket when they were riding at either No 3 or 4. Thorssell spent most of 2016/17 in those positions.

When they ride at 1 or 5 (especially 1) their average dropped. As a result there was a pretty constant interchange between them for the No 1 jacket.

You'd have to break it down and get an average for them at each position before you could use their average to paint a true picture of improvement..or not.

That all said,  if we are looking over a four year period then there is no question that they have both improved, as they weren't riding at No 1 in 2016. 

Questions could be asked whether they can improve further, Thorssell is the more likely as injuries (as pointed out) have effected him.

There will be circumstances which impact people's view and riding at different positions in the team will have an impact. Don't dispute it.

My argument is clear, however the average has been achieved, no matter where they were racing etc, there has been a steady increase and certainly in Jacobs case, he was really starting to move before that crash.

Even if one of them had dropped to reserve ( I'm speculating) then naturally their average would have gone up, but the bottom line is still the same.

I think there are 2 arguments coming out here, it's whether or not they have actually improved as a rider (which I agree is open to debate) or whether their averages have increased.

In really black and white and terms an increased average would suggest they have got better but I totally accept there are mitigating circumstances in that debate.

8 minutes ago, acef said:

Theoretical, yes.

I haven't looked at his average over the last few years but I'd imagine the numbers will back it up.

He is in decline, he will never repeat his Cardifff or  Coventry heroics  but on his current average he is a absolute steal.

19 minutes ago, Gasser90 said:

Think it will be at the end of this week if the tweet is correct, I read it earlier and I think it said news later this week 

Better news, thanks for the info

Just now, foreverblue said:

He is in decline, he will never repeat his Cardifff or  Coventry heroics  but on his current average he is a absolute steal.

He'd be a 2nd I'd think so it's a no brainer.

19 minutes ago, Gasser90 said:

I read it as later this week ...... Now back to the Wolverhampton averages debate !!

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Dodger Blue said:

I read it as later this week ...... Now back to the Wolverhampton averages debate !!

I came on this thread to discuss Sheffield. I wish people would stick to topics :)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Dodger Blue said:

Please no haha, cannot take it anymore.

I get people have freedom to discuss whatever but I thought the idea of topics was to stay on that topic.

2020 Peterborough Panthers, can the team improve? Well if they finish 6th they have, the only way is up....

15 minutes ago, Warren2 said:

Please no haha, cannot take it anymore.

I get people have freedom to discuss whatever but I thought the idea of topics was to stay on that topic.

2020 Peterborough Panthers, can the team improve? Well if they finish 6th they have, the only way is up....

We can finish in the top 4 no problem. 3rd or 4th should be the target with the rumoured 1-7

49 minutes ago, acef said:

Theoretical, yes.

Using SteveBrum's logic this tells you Harris isn't on the decline and he's just had one bad season.

However being realistic. Harris is on the decline despite the averages saying 3 years of improvement. Which is why I haven't brought into stevebrum's argument about one bad season.

2019 - 6.16

2018 - 7.78

2017 - 7.63

2016 - 6.58

1 hour ago, Warren2 said:

I am pretty sure I clicked on the Peterborough Panthers 2020 Thread....

Next rider announcement sounds like it will be Xmas Eve, will it be another ‘New’ signing or a returning rider from 2019?

Hans probably. Nice Christmas gift that would please the fans.

8 minutes ago, Rockstar99 said:

Using SteveBrum's logic this tells you Harris isn't on the decline and he's just had one bad season.

However being realistic. Harris is on the decline despite the averages saying 3 years of improvement. Which is why I haven't brought into stevebrum's argument about one bad season.

2019 - 6.16

2018 - 7.78

2017 - 7.63

2016 - 6.58

That's quite a big drop off last season sir!

The stats show he is most certainly on the decline and it started last season.

Edited by acef

3 minutes ago, acef said:

That's quite a big drop off last season sir!

The stats show he is most certainly on the decline and it started last season.

He is on the decline I agree. 

At the same time Masters hasn't improved as a Speedway rider. Which is the point I'm making to stevebrum when he say's apart from this year Masters has improved as a Speedway rider every year until 2019 because as I've now shown Harris has also improved as a speedway rider every year until 2019 using stevebrum's logic.

Averages don't tell the full story.

Harris has been on the decline for a few years and Masters is no better off now than he was 4 years ago even though he quit one league to try and improve as a speedway rider.