British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough Panthers 2020

3 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Unlikely I agree but decisions get unmade when it suits all the time. Disabled people often feel bad enough about their situation as it is without requiring special measures to highlight them and their problems, whatever they may be. What takes more time, cost and effort: special measures to deal with a newly self created problem or just reinstate a system that worked perfectly well for years?

The problem for stadiums is that H&S (or fear of consequences) makes everyone risk averse. 

• Like 1

The showground should provide suitable transport for blue badge holders, as this should affect all events being held at the venue, over this weekend there is a Motorhome event, which you would expect will attract far more blue badge holders than the speedway, no doubt the showground will expect there full rent if so they need to put there hands in there pockets, ok they dont give a xxxx for the speedway but some of the other bigger events are ones they wouldn't want to lose the revenue for.

5 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Just  seen a flight of pigs  flying past my window

They flew past mine too.

13 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Unlikely I agree but decisions get unmade when it suits all the time. Disabled people often feel bad enough about their situation as it is without requiring special measures to highlight them and their problems, whatever they may be. What takes more time, cost and effort: special measures to deal with a newly self created problem or just reinstate a system that worked perfectly well for years?

Agreed.  As I wrote in an earlier posting regarding my wife's lungs and hip cancer, she gets little pleasure out of life as it is, and Peterborough has been one of the few places where she's been able to get her mind taken off all the nasty things she's going through with chemo.  I feel so sorry for her, because she just can't manage to walk that far anymore, so it ends the visits for both of us.   

2 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Quite right. Reliable is the key. I'm not sure Leicester's system was always reliable last year.

Long time since I went to Showground - please remind me of distance involved.

Would a golf buggy (sponsored by XX driving range) be suitable? 

Even if this was provided  Chaos  would ensue at the end of the meeting. The really stupid thing about this is that parking for the entire crowd could be accommodated within the showground and still   leave more than sufficient  unrestricted access  to carry out a NATO exercise  

• Like 2

Are "normal" vehicles allowed to park in the showground where the "blue card" vehicles are no longer allowed to? If so that's discrimination surely? If no cars allowed - state that so it doesn't sound like they are just stopping disabled people's access!

One of the physical requirements  for obtaining a Blue Badge is being unable to walk more than 80 meters without difficulty. Clearly the distance holders now required to walk is considerably more and as such the new edict is a flagrant disregard of the principle of Blue Badges.

2 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

The problem for stadiums is that H&S (or fear of consequences) makes everyone risk averse. 

True but it's been a hokey cokey situation at the Showground for 15 years so I'm not buying it unless I know what these new H&S restrictions are and where they came from? There, that's me seeing flying pigs now.

If Blue Badge holders aren't permitted within the 'stadium area' of the Arena it will likely be the landlords / owners' decision than the Panthers' management.  It seems strange though as I was under the impression that disabled parking was required within sporting arenas.  This has pre-empted a future intended post of mine as I'm considering driving myself + 1 or 2 others, one of whom is a disabled Blue Badge holder though can walk reasonable distances with one of two sticks, to Belle Vue, Peterborough & also Sheffield due to the perceived (by me though I need to confirm this) to the best of my knowledge of the nearness and level ground from the car park to entrance / stand area within each stadium.  Using 'golf-buggys' to transport physically-challenged people is one possible solution but some people will want / need to leave at different times.  I do of course intend to contact the stadium management prior to visiting any of the mentioned venues, and if the arrangements are not acceptable to us, parking distance-wise, then sadly it means the disabled member of our party will probably not be able to make it, which would be a pity....

Edited by martinmauger
info, spelling 3x
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

If Blue Bdage holders aren't permitted withing the 'stadium area' of the Arena it wil likely be the landlords / owners' decision than the Panthers' management.  It seems strange though as I was under the impression that disabled parking was required within sporting arenas.  This has pre-empted a future intended post of mine as I'm considering driving myself + 1 or 2 others, one of whom is a disabled Blue Badge holder though can walk reasonable distances with one of two sticks, to Belle Vue, Peterborough & also Sheffield due to the percieved (by me though I need to confirm this) to the best of my knowledge of the nearness and level ground from the car park to entrance / stand area within each stadium.  Using 'golf-buggys' to transport physically-challenged people is one possible solution but some people will want / need to leave at diffreent times.  I do of course intend to contact the stadium management prior to visiting any of the mentioned venues, and if the arrangements are not acceptable to us, parking distance-wise, then sadly it means the disabled member of our party will probably not be able to make it, which would be a pity....

Quite certain it is not the Speedway who imposed this rule

When I go to other sporting events all round the world I never see cars adjacent to the playing surface..

In football for example clubs have to designate a certain % of the overall crowd level for disabled customers but that doesn't entail them parking on 'the doorstep' from the section they are allocated...

All disabled bays are 'as near as possible' to the entrances but don't grant instant access. (With the sheer size of stadia logistically preventing that from happening)..

The law states 'reasonable adjustments' must be made to cater equally for all, which covers access..

Having cars in areas with pedestrians would be classed as very high risk I would imagine (especially as by definition those who are disabled will be less agile and mobile to avoid any issues that may occur), and any H+S risk assessment will clearly not allow that...

As someone whose work life is directed by risk assessments covering 'moving vehicles in public spaces' I was always surprised Stoke and Buxton for example, could allows cars to pass within yards of pedestrians in a 'shared space'..

'Reasonable adjustment' is very subjective obviously but in this situation parking bays as near as possible (and enough of them), would be a minimum requirement you would think (eg like supermarkets do)...

You could argue that maybe having wheelchairs available to be used might be another adjustment but the counter argument would be that if someone cannot walk a 'reasonable' distance then they should probably provide their own transportation as they would need this assistance every day of their life not just for the Speedway.

It is always more difficult when something is 'taken away' as you become used to having it and relying on it. And when emotions are involved it resonates even more..

As has been mentioned previously contacting the Showground for the definitive answer will be the best course of action..

Bottom line though is that they will have to follow all H+S and Discrimination laws like any other entity so will no doubt have covered off all angles legally if they are a professional organisation..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

When I go to other sporting events all round the world I never see cars adjacent to the playing surface..

In football for example clubs have to designate a certain % of the overall crowd level for disabled customers but that doesn't entail them parking on 'the doorstep' from the section they are allocated...

All disabled bays are 'as near as possible' to the entrances but don't grant instant access. (With the sheer size of stadia logistically preventing that from happening)..

The law states 'reasonable adjustments' must be made to cater equally for all, which covers access..

Having cars in areas with pedestrians would be classed as very high risk I would imagine (especially as by definition those who are disabled will be less agile and mobile to avoid any issues that may occur), and any H+S risk assessment will clearly not allow that...

As someone whose work life is directed by risk assessments covering 'moving vehicles in public spaces' I was always surprised Stoke and Buxton for example, could allows cars to pass within yards of pedestrians in a 'shared space'..

'Reasonable adjustment' is very subjective obviously but in this situation parking bays as near as possible (and enough of them), would be a minimum requirement you would think (eg like supermarkets do)...

You could argue that maybe having wheelchairs available to be used might be another adjustment but the counter argument would be that if someone cannot walk a 'reasonable' distance then they should probably provide their own transportation as they would need this assistance every day of their life not just for the Speedway.

It is always more difficult when something is 'taken away' as you become used to having it and relying on it. And when emotions are involved it resonates even more..

As has been mentioned previously contacting the Showground for the definitive answer will be the best course of action..

Bottom line though is that they will have to follow all H+S and Discrimination laws like any other entity so will no doubt have covered off all angles legally if they are a professional organisation..

In normal circumstances Blue Badge holders would only be concerned that they could be assured of a parking space fairly near the entrance. In the case of EOES which was not designed as a sporing venue the track is a long way from the entrance and it is the distance Badge holders are concerned about, even the place inside the showground where they have previously parked is not exactly close to the track.  Your remarks would be pertinent to a normal stadium, but the EOES is not a normal stadium  and has vast tracts of land inside the perimeter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Stoke & Boston always allowed cars trackside Mike.

Just now, Mimmo said:

Stoke & Boston always allowed cars trackside Mike.

Sorry, I should have said Buxton, not Boston.