British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough Panthers 2020

4 hours ago, Method said:

What if the promotion were to organise a ferry type system using the showground buggies or any other method of transport from the gates to the grandstand, like they have done previously, would that be workable?

Currently I believe all riders and disabled go in through the first gate (can never remember numbers, but the original one with the wooden hut turnstiles) and head straight down towards the track and pits. If they were to be signposted off to the left when they go in and take a route that goes around the left hand side of the track and around the back straight, that will enable riders to get up to their normal parking spots and disabled parking could be reassigned to this section. At that point, a simple barrier / temporary fence would stop pedestrians wandering into the moving traffic areas and stop the vans from hooning out through the line of pedestrians at the end of the meeting.

Alternatively - use the other gate at the Southgate entrance to come straight into the track from that direction and advoid the short route around the track.

Its a bit like when they stopped the kids hanging over the fence for a high five after a race - I loved doing that when I was younger and it was a real shame they stopped it - but it made perfect sense really.

Firstly the shuttle service for those affected would work but as said previously, what is easier, cheaper, more time consuming? Organising, staffing, financing a shuttle service or just let affected fans do what they have for 20 years that which takes little effort by the club?

Seeing the kids run down the stands to give the riders high 5s was a great sight but was probably one thing that was wise to stop although I don't recall anyone ever falling off the fence or otherwise being injured. In fact when it was suggested to Colin Horton that the practice should be reintroduced he said stuff H&S and took the ropes down so the kids could do that again. Problem being that it had been so long since those days that nobody knew what to do and it was abandoned through lack of interest.

Edited by Crump99

27 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Wealdstone is correct in that staying quiet and waiting to see is not an option because everybody knows the outcome of that strategy.

Relevant communication has often been lacking since Rathbone and Watson left. I wasn't their greatest fan, but then again it's bloody hard to get me on your side anyway, but you can't knock the good job that they did with their passion for the club and fans, disabled or not. This action would never have happened under their watch and it's just a shame that Rathbone offloaded the club as he did.

Given the way that this was introduced without communication and the reasons as given allegedly debunked then I'm not sure where the management can go with any explanation anyway (would love to see full facts and circumstances), hence their silence and hoping that it will go away as you indicate might be a way forward.

I appreciate that disabled access needs to be managed and I think, as with most such systems, that some people gained access when they shouldn't (I guess that's why after the Frost era of massive internal car park Horton made BB holders show their photo side to parking staff? Neil can confirm?) so get a better system in place, don't use a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Thanks for the kind words, sorry you weren't 100% convinced but my Mum is my greatest fan anyway!

It seems quite legitimate to ensure that the correct person is benefitting from Blue Badge parking concessions.

17 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Thanks for the kind words, sorry you weren't 100% convinced but my Mum is my greatest fan anyway!

It seems quite legitimate to ensure that the correct person is benefitting from Blue Badge parking concessions.

True if allowed but what was the trigger as it has never been done before. Given the drop off of crowd at that time I'd have thought that you'd have wanted all the fans that you could get in :)

Club have certainly led fans to believe the Showground at fault and have verbally confirmed this to certain people. On the other hand I have an E Mail from Showground that says different. Seeing as club have chosen to remain silent and and ignore e mails , who is to be believed?  Suspect E mails to club go to Carl Johnson who either does not know what to do or has been told to keep quiet. It may be of course that he is deeply unhappy about the situation and may even himself have been told a different story.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Club have certainly led fans to believe the Showground at fault and have verbally confirmed this to certain people. On the other hand I have an E Mail from Showground that says different. Seeing as club have chosen to remain silent and and ignore e mails , who is to be believed?  Suspect E mails to club go to Carl Johnson who either does not know what to do or has been told to keep quiet. It may be of course that he is deeply unhappy about the situation and may even himself have been told a different story.

Well you favourite supporters facebook site posted (shared post) the season ticket details yesterday which gives no indication anywhere to anyone with a BB that if they buy an ST and think that can rock up at the gate for stadium entry as per usual then they are in for a shock. Think that answers your question.

• Sad 1

The bosses have been rumbled, clearly  have little concern about the disgraceful treatment of the disabled . Could say hang your heads in shame but seemingly they have none.

Are speedway Star going to take this matter up? Or do they feel it does not concern them , possibly they fear retribution.  Peter Oakes with ties to the press could also lend his support.

5 hours ago, Crump99 said:

True if allowed but what was the trigger as it has never been done before. Given the drop off of crowd at that time I'd have thought that you'd have wanted all the fans that you could get in :)

When I was a season-ticket holder in the early noughties I submitted a copy of my Blue Badge with the season ticket application. The badges do have the holder’s name on the face.

Unless sense prevails I can see the marathon walk now required of the disabled to look like one of famous retreats in military history . Casualties awash along the route, I forsee many leaning against their crutches to gain their breath, wheelchairs abandoned  as the ordeal proved too much mechanically and others just stopped resigned to their fate . It is rumoured that in their benevolence bosses may open the gates  24 hours early to enable those most affected to crawl in stages if required

There is a saying which I am unable to recall  to the effect that evil will happen if the majority stay silent. Could not  be more true of the Blue Badge situation at Panthers.  It has run its course and people  getting tired and no longer interested exactly what the bosses were counting on.   I urge you all to bombard  the club with E Mails . I see Mr Rising from Speedway Star whist content to constantly give his views on Brexit is less forthcoming on blue Badge holders being screwed

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

When I was a season-ticket holder in the early noughties I submitted a copy of my Blue Badge with the season ticket application. The badges do have the holder’s name on the face.

Going round in circles a bit now. That doesn't explain why Horton was so hot on it early doors? He must have been aware of freeloaders and/or abuse of the BB system. Anyway, let's leave it there as there are more pressing matters.

You do show however that it isn't rocket science to administer an efficient system for BB stadium entry, although the longstanding system seemed to work fine so the real reason for turning on the fans when the club has fought for them over many decades would be a good starting point.

Edited by Crump99

6 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Unless sense prevails I can see the marathon walk now required of the disabled to look like one of famous retreats in military history . Casualties awash along the route, I forsee many leaning against their crutches to gain their breath, wheelchairs abandoned  as the ordeal proved too much mechanically and others just stopped resigned to their fate . It is rumoured that in their benevolence bosses may open the gates  24 hours early to enable those most affected to crawl in stages if required

The BB situation isn't a good one. And needs looking at ASAP. I don't know 100% who's behind it as im sure you don't....I have read Mimmo's post, and I brought a lump to my throat, if i'm honest. I don't know who you support, but you seem like a drama queen to me. If you are a Panthers supporter, I don't know why you bother. I don't think I have seen a positive post from you.

I have skimmed through the last few pages. 

Have Peterborough provided any official word on this? I feel the frustration of any BB holder but I can’t help but think the gun is being somewhat jumped here?

How do we know Peterborough speedway won’t be providing a shuttle service?

Have I missed something?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, acef said:

Have Peterborough provided any official word on this? I feel the frustration of any BB holder but I can’t help but think the gun is being somewhat jumped here?

Have I missed something?

Radio silence from the promotion which is normal. You would have thought they would nip this in the bud instead of negative PR.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

The BB situation isn't a good one. And needs looking at ASAP. I don't know 100% who's behind it as im sure you don't....I have read Mimmo's post, and I brought a lump to my throat, if i'm honest. I don't know who you support, but you seem like a drama queen to me. If you are a Panthers supporter, I don't know why you bother. I don't think I have seen a positive post from you.

I think there is a saying about empty vessels making the most noise? 

5 hours ago, acef said:

Have I missed something?

Exactly. This may very well be what it appears to say on the tin but nobody knows as the facts are sketchy. That said the situation is being inflamed by the promotion’s silence.