British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough Panthers 2020

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Maybe a big mistake 

Time will tell. I think Cook did enough last year to deserve another season and Puk’s best days are behind him so maybe Lynn they have made the right choice, maybe not. I expect averages and league positions at the end of the campaign will tell us all.

• Like 1

PUK is still a GP rider so are his best days really behind him? How many GP riders are in the Premiership this season? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Flappy said:

PUK is still a GP rider so are his best days really behind him? How many GP riders are in the Premiership this season? 

He has been number three in the world and I don’t see him doing that again so yes I’d say his best days are behind him, his previously high British League standards dropped for Lynn in 2018 and Ipswich last year and he isn’t getting any younger. I expect him to do a good job for P’boro but it’s unlikely he’ll be the rider he was for Lynn 2012-16. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Time will tell. I think Cook did enough last year to deserve another season and Puk’s best days are behind him so maybe Lynn they have made the right choice, maybe not. I expect averages and league positions at the end of the campaign will tell us all.

Cook did well but i would back Iversen to beat him in most races, Cook never achieved what Iversen has and although he may not be as good as he was he still has a lot to offer and almost unbeatable at home. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Cook did well but i would back Iversen to beat him in most races, Cook never achieved what Iversen has and although he may not be as good as he was he still has a lot to offer and almost unbeatable at home. 

Iversen never achieved anything like  what Crump did, which one would you rather have ?

Time stands still for no man

• Like 2

2 hours ago, semion said:

Iversen never achieved anything like  what Crump did, which one would you rather have ?

Time stands still for no man

I didn't mention Crump, the comparison was with Cook but I would rather have Iversen  than Crump at this stage of their careers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I didn't mention Crump, the comparison was with Cook but I would rather have Iversen  than Crump at this stage of their careers.

Come on Blue, have a word with yourself.

10 Years back NKI wasn’t on the same level as Crump.  Now NKI is above him.  The same applies with Cook and NKI. 

Puk is on the way down, do you think Cook is ?

1 hour ago, semion said:

10 Years back NKI wasn’t on the same level as Crump.  Now NKI is above him.  The same applies with Cook and NKI. 

Iversen over cook for me 

• Like 2

Ostergaard another on a bargain average. With the improvement that this team will have on their bargain starting averages I'd expect this team to walk it

3 hours ago, semion said:

I didn't mention their respective levels 10 years ago but Iversen is younger and hasn't been out of the sport for many years so in my opinion I would expect Iversen to be at a better level now.

I hope Crump does well, he was a superstar of the sport.

Cook has never been anything close to Iversen's level and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flappy said:

Iversen over cook for me 

I can’t believe anyone could make an argument for Cook over Iversen. Cook isn’t even in the same ball park. Cook will never achieve the level that Iversen is still at. 

Ive never seen Iversen as a genuine title contender but someone who has ridden at that level for many a year and qualifying of right has to have earned the right to be classed as a genuine GP standard rider.

Before anyone says Cook qualified as of right in his only season in the GP’s he got in thru the back door because Dudek had already qualified. 

Cook is a decent 2nd heat leader in the top flight in the Premiership, totally unproven anywhere else. Unlike Iversen. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, semion said:

Remind me where NKI finished in the final GP of last season?

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, semion said:

Cook has never been at Top Level.

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Cook has never been at Top Level.

And he never will imo ...

• Like 3

I really didn't mean for this to turn into a Cook v Iversen debate, my original point merely was that we’ve probably seen the best of Puk over the last decade and that Cook did well for us last year so probably deserves another go. There are other variables too, Niels is going to be extremely busy this year and perhaps Lynn would prefer a rider with fewer commitments abroad. I would imagine if Lynn wanted Puk then he would be there but it would be difficult to fit him, Cook and Robert into the same side so perhaps they decided the top two from last year were a better bet. You certainly can’t compare Iversen and Cook’s achievements on the world stage or in foreign leagues but perhaps in the Premiership which I’d have thought must be Puk’s lowest priority Cook might be the right choice for King’s Lynn for 2020.  

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1