British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough Panthers 2020

6 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I really didn't mean for this to turn into a Cook v Iversen debate, my original point merely was that we’ve probably seen the best of Puk over the last decade and that Cook did well for us last year so probably deserves another go. There are other variables too, Niels is going to be extremely busy this year and perhaps Lynn would prefer a rider with fewer commitments abroad. I would imagine if Lynn wanted Puk then he would be there but it would be difficult to fit him, Cook and Robert into the same side so perhaps they decided the top two from last year were a better bet. You certainly can’t compare Iversen and Cook’s achievements on the world stage or in foreign leagues but perhaps in the Premiership which I’d have thought must be Puk’s lowest priority Cook might be the right choice for King’s Lynn for 2020.  

In fairness I don't think it was you that tried to make it into a Cook /Iversen debate , I may have contributed but only after others and one in particular responded. On a personal note I will always have the greatest respect for Iversen as a top rider, top bloke and anyone that passes dirty Nicki at Cardiff has my admiration.

• Like 2

My only reasoning was based on NKI average over previous two year in the Top Flight.  That’s dealing eggs with eggs.  Not comparing GP’s Poland etc.

Each of the previous years at Lynn he became shagged out as the season progressed due to his heavy work load.  So much so that in the end he gave the UK a miss totally. 

Don’t get me wrong we saw some great years from the guy but imho he is on the downward slope and the UK is at the bottom of his agenda.  I hope for Panthers fans I’m wrong. 

With Cook I really don’t think we have seen the best of him at Saddlebow, yet. He has struggled to find the consistency there. Plus he has had other issues to deal with.  However it seems the UK is his priority and as such again imho he will improve his average.

As far as Cook is concerned I think his better years have been at Belle Vue but as he is a gater he should have done well at Kings Lynn but has underachieved in my opinion. As for Iversen anyone who has qualified for the gp's and is good enough for a rostrum position has to respected and i think he will have a good season,maybe even improve his average a little. 

• Like 1

no point arguing who the best is, just be thankful we have Iversen, Cook, Pedersen, Crump, Doyle etc in this country

• Like 7

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

As far as Cook is concerned I think his better years have been at Belle Vue but as he is a gater he should have done well at Kings Lynn but has underachieved in my opinion. 

It’s not just about gating though, Lynn has been a track with a unique surface and a huge amount of grip and it took him a while to get used to riding it every week as it does many riders, I believe he averaged over eight both home and away which isn’t too bad at all. Seems the track will be slicker this coming season which can only benefit the likes of him and Hartel and hopefully the standard of racing which badly needs to improve. 

• Like 1

bet there's a big difference in Niels average for his first 2 rides compared to 3 & 4 around KL

12 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

It’s not just about gating though, Lynn has been a track with a unique surface and a huge amount of grip and it took him a while to get used to riding it every week as it does many riders, I believe he averaged over eight both home and away which isn’t too bad at all. Seems the track will be slicker this coming season which can only benefit the likes of him and Hartel and hopefully the standard of racing which badly needs to improve. 

Yes agreed the racing at KL has been very poor in recent times so hopefully the slicker track can help. Hopefully Peterborough can be better too, apart from the Poole meeting which was amazing, the racing has been fairly poor at Peterborough recently i believe quite a few have said.

22 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Yes agreed the racing at KL has been very poor in recent times so hopefully the slicker track can help. Hopefully Peterborough can be better too, apart from the Poole meeting which was amazing, the racing has been fairly poor at Peterborough recently i believe quite a few have said.

Was awful last time I was there for a championship meet a couple of years ago ( Sheffield were the visitors I think) 

Edited by SPEEDY69

19 hours ago, semion said:

Puk is on the way down, do you think Cook is ?

Most importantly of all, I suspect that Cook believes he is on the way down and in speedway confidence and self belief is everything. 

overall NKI is the better rider, but over here id say cook is probably better just

Depends if Iversen wants to know or not, if he does then he’s by far the better rider. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, stevehone said:

no point arguing who the best is, just be thankful we have Iversen, Cook, Pedersen, Crump, Doyle etc in this country

Not sure we need to be thankful Cook rides here.

Ronnie Russell on TV today selling his bravery medal from helping to avert Princess Anne being kidnapped,  did he win any speedway medals to sell or are they deemed worthless..

Maybe start a debate now on which Russell brother was the best 

Edited by scoobydoo

18 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I really didn't mean for this to turn into a Cook v Iversen debate, my original point merely was that we’ve probably seen the best of Puk over the last decade and that Cook did well for us last year so probably deserves another go. There are other variables too, Niels is going to be extremely busy this year and perhaps Lynn would prefer a rider with fewer commitments abroad. I would imagine if Lynn wanted Puk then he would be there but it would be difficult to fit him, Cook and Robert into the same side so perhaps they decided the top two from last year were a better bet. You certainly can’t compare Iversen and Cook’s achievements on the world stage or in foreign leagues but perhaps in the Premiership which I’d have thought must be Puk’s lowest priority Cook might be the right choice for King’s Lynn for 2020.  

not sure it would've been that difficult to fit the three of them in tbh - could swap niels and lambert for riss and proctor, no lambent isn't going to pull up trees but scores at lynn, think i know who id prefer as my third heat leader and proctor was woeful last season, no guarantees he turns it around this year is there

4 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

not sure it would've been that difficult to fit the three of them in tbh - could swap niels and lambert for riss and proctor, no lambent isn't going to pull up trees but scores at lynn, think i know who id prefer as my third heat leader and proctor was woeful last season, no guarantees he turns it around this year is there

I was thinking more financially.