British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough Panthers 2020

4 hours ago, Mimmo said:

If we assume that say twenty cars with blue badge holders stop attending, and I'm sure it will be a lot more than that, there's usually a minimum of two people in each vehicle, that takes it up to forty paying customers, and let's assume they are all concession customers, that the club will lose throughout the season.
At the moment, assuming they don't make the play-off's, they have sixteen home fixtures planned.  Based on the 2019 admission price of £16 (they haven't disclosed the 2020 prices on their website, other than for season tickets) that equates to £10,240.  All twenty cars pay £1 to park which equals £320, and lets presume that 50% of them buy a programme at £3 peer head, which comes out at £960.  That means in 2020, the club are going to lose in the region of £11,520.  Can they really afford to do?  

It's madness when you add it all up. Buster said he lost money last season, but then this is announced. Compare that to a man and a few cones for 3 hours a meeting @£10 an hour. Whats that, £480 per season, based on 16 meetings.

Edited by Bald Bloke
spelling
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

No irony there then.  However is the argument line of "can't walk far" not hitting the mark in terms of persuading the promotion to adjust their position because, as this sponsor highlights, wheelchairs/scooters are in common usage so perhaps an argument based on wheelchair/scooter access would be more persuasive? 

Closer access is required by the ambulant disabled with limited mobility. If a disabled person has 'wheels' a longer distance may be possible. However for both groups bear in mind the ground conditions - from Gate 3 a mixture of grass, gravel and tarmac. Add in the poor light at night and you're making it very difficult for the disabled.

• Like 1

Let’s look at some extracts from the Government publication ‘Who can get a Blue Badge’

You automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if you are over 2 years old and at least one of the following applies:

1.      you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

2.      you receive a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) because you can’t walk more than 50 metres (a score of 8 points or more under the ‘moving around’ activity of the mobility component)

3.      you are registered blind (severely sight impaired)

4.      you receive a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement

5.      you have received a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1-8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking

You may be eligible for a badge if one or more of the following applies:

1.      you cannot walk at all

2.      you cannot walk without help from someone else or using mobility aids

3.      you find walking very difficult due to pain, breathlessness or the time it takes

4.      walking is dangerous to your health and safety

I wonder if this information has been taken into account by the Peterborough promotion when overturning a system that has worked for many years. The closest distance from the imposed new parking area exceeds 300m, this is more than SIX times the distance referred to in 2 above.

This is a real issue and will affect a significant number of fans. Mimmo has estimated the lost income up-thread, but the biggest loss is to the fans, mainly long-term, dedicated fans, who won’t be able to watch speedway in 2020.

Edited by NeilWatson
Formatting
  • Sad 1

What would happen now if an ex rider especially an ex Panther who is now a BB holder turned up at the gate to a meeting. 

6 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

What would happen now if an ex rider especially an ex Panther who is now a BB holder turned up at the gate to a meeting. 

I found it amusing/sad that Mario Jirout liked the post of the statement on the club Facebook page - what's that all about :blink:

Edited by Crump99

4 hours ago, Mimmo said:

What a heartless person you are.  My wife, as I've said before, is in an advanced stage of cancer for both lungs, breast and hip, which means she can only do short walks at a time without resting, which rules us out of ever going to Peterborough again. 
I personally find your comments most hurtful, and hope for your sake that you never find yourself in the position that we are in, then you won't be so cocky with your insulting statements, so please, for the sake of all those whose lives are being torn apart, stop it now. 

Nope. I was stating facts and tried to help people at first. I suggested multiple ways the Blue Badge Holders could still get to the Speedway and everyone single one of them had a miserable reply to the point it became clear and obvious that it was people just making up an excuse not to go.

Now you can call me heartless if you want. I don't care. Fact is I've done nothing but try and help people. I've suggested 4 or 5 ways the Blue Badge Holders don't have to miss out in 2020. That is trying to help people.

Problem is people don't want to be helped or hear the truth. It's 2020 and the vast majority of people who particularly live in Britain now like to live in a politically correct / people pleasing world whilst holding back on any strong opinion they have. 

4 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

Just block him Mike and ignore him - he's the current BSF moron and not worth wasting time on. Hope you're both OK

I already have a excellent community reputation on my profile. Thanks for boosting my stock. I've left a like myself. TheMessiahOfTheBSF wins the day with the most likes. I feel blessed.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

Closer access is required by the ambulant disabled with limited mobility. If a disabled person has 'wheels' a longer distance may be possible. However for both groups bear in mind the ground conditions - from Gate 3 a mixture of grass, gravel and tarmac. Add in the poor light at night and you're making it very difficult for the disabled.

I experienced this at the Great Dorset Steam Fair with my Father-in-law (BB holder).  The disabled parking was about 100m from the entrance but the ground was a field which had been ploughed with just the straw remaining from the crop which had grown there.  Although he can walk a short distance, being totally deaf rough ground made this impossible.  I took a wheelchair but pushing this up and down the 8 inch furrows was awful.  Once at the entrance it was a further 200m to the activity ring, across smoother ground but still a crop field.  There was no to/fro buggies or the like provided and we've not been back since, so I do understand the situation.

Specifics may work best, rather than general 'this is bad' arguments and those affected could contact the club and enquire further on provisions for them to visit the speedway, citing their specific difficulties and what impact the change will have on them.  Reasonable adjustments/exceptions are always possible surely?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheMessiahOfTheBSF said:

Nope. I was stating facts and tried to help people at first. I suggested multiple ways the Blue Badge Holders could still get to the Speedway and everyone single one of them had a miserable reply to the point it became clear and obvious that it was people just making up an excuse not to go.

Now you can call me heartless if you want. I don't care. Fact is I've done nothing but try and help people. I've suggested 4 or 5 ways the Blue Badge Holders don't have to miss out in 2020. That is trying to help people.

Problem is people don't want to be helped or hear the truth. It's 2020 and the vast majority of people who particularly live in Britain now like to live in a politically correct / people pleasing world whilst holding back on any strong opinion they have. 

Shame that ignores still open on the main page but it does remind me of something:

Del Trotter - Can you smell that? What is that? Sheep is it? It's cows? No, no, I know what it is. It's bullsh*t!

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Shame that ignores still open on the main page but it does remind me of something:

Del Trotter - Can you smell that? What is that? Sheep is it? It's cows? No, no, I know what it is. It's bullsh*t!

Proof is on this thread that I've tried to help. Suggested Ubers, Drop offs, Wheelchairs, Mobility scooters the lot.

You lot are just miserable. Simple as that. Not an opinion...….It's a fact.

Edited by TheMessiahOfTheBSF

1 hour ago, TheMessiahOfTheBSF said:

Proof is on this thread that I've tried to help. Suggested Ubers, Drop offs, Wheelchairs, Mobility scooters the lot.

You lot are just miserable. Simple as that. Not an opinion...….It's a fact.

Uber would not be able to get closer than the new disabled parking area and might not be allowed that close.With the rough ground pushing a wheelchair will be hard work for a young, fit person and if the person doing the pushing is elderly then it would be impossible for them. Mobility scooters are very expensive and would they be able to be parked in a secure area? People are only miserable because they find that the new rules are going to make it difficult for them to enjoy their racing. 

Why is it safe for pedestrians to mix with cars in the main car park but not inside the speedway arena? If a Blue Badge holder does not obey the instructions of the staff or drives in a dangerous manner then I would back the promotion in saying that the person concerned would no longer be allowed to use the old parking area.

It must be possible to manage the situation so the disabled are able to enjoy their speedway without the long walk that is currently proposed.

• Like 2

I thought that it is now the law that all businesses have to have suitable access for disabled people, so are the promoters of Peterborough breaking any access law. ????  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hyderd said:

I thought that it is now the law that all businesses have to have suitable access for disabled people, so are the promoters of Peterborough breaking any access law. ????  

If they are then one would assume the showground themselves also are if the parking arrangements are now the same as for any other event there?