British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough Panthers 2020

Am I missing something here, are mobility scooters/wheelchairs banned from entry as well? Most blue badge holders I know and see are able to either walk short distances or used a scooter/chair?

Absolutely right though that it should apply to all vehicles. 

10 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Am I missing something here, are mobility scooters/wheelchairs banned from entry as well? Most blue badge holders I know and see are able to either walk short distances or used a scooter/chair?

Absolutely right though that it should apply to all vehicles. 

You are right that many can and do walk short distances. The problem with EOES is that it is not a short distance. The distance at  the showground is well above  the limits required to get a Blue Badge. These days you are assessed every year to confirm that you still comply.

Leicesters car park is a fair walk and they provide transport to the stadium for those unable to walk that far. Maybe Panthers will do something similar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Call me wolfie said:

Leicesters car park is a fair walk and they provide transport to the stadium for those unable to walk that far. Maybe Panthers will do something similar

Just  seen a flight of pigs  flying past my window

• Haha 2

The average speedway fan is knocking on a bit,,, so there are probably a fair few blue badge holders at all tracks.,,, surely a club couldn't afford to lose that income every week. There must be somewhere closer to park? 

12 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

The average speedway fan is knocking on a bit,,, so there are probably a fair few blue badge holders at all tracks.,,, surely a club couldn't afford to lose that income every week. There must be somewhere closer to park? 

There is !!!!!..  Inside the Showground where Blue Badge holders have always parked.

Edited by wealdstone
  • Like 1

Thing is, most public events nowadays have disabled parking (if parking spaces are provided at all) as those spaces nearest to the entrance/perimeter.  In this case, can there not be space allocated near to where the riders parks their vans - I assume they'll still be allowed to drive inside the venue?  If so, as far as I remember, this area is not segregated from the public so presumably a van hitting a person isn't thought to be as much of a risk as a car?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Thing is, most public events nowadays have disabled parking (if parking spaces are provided at all) as those spaces nearest to the entrance/perimeter.  In this case, can there not be space allocated near to where the riders parks their vans - I assume they'll still be allowed to drive inside the venue?  If so, as far as I remember, this area is not segregated from the public so presumably a van hitting a person isn't thought to be as much of a risk as a car?

The riders would normally be in the stadium before the turnstiles open

• Like 1

And leave after all the public have left?

Edited by SPEEDY69

28 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

This is one of the many reasons for the crass stupidity of the edict

• Like 2

It’s unlikely the decision will change, effort would be better spent on persuading the promotion to provide a reliable buggy service.

• Like 1

The club need to make sure this decision is made public. I can imagine many supporters will turn up and be completely unaware of it...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

The club need to make sure this decision is made public. I can imagine many supporters will turn up and be completely unaware of it...

You are quite right, however bearing in mind the way it was discovered it is doubtful

59 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

It’s unlikely the decision will change, effort would be better spent on persuading the promotion to provide a reliable buggy service.

Quite right. Reliable is the key. I'm not sure Leicester's system was always reliable last year.

Long time since I went to Showground - please remind me of distance involved.

Would a golf buggy (sponsored by XX driving range) be suitable? 

Edited by Richard Weston

1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

Unlikely I agree but decisions get unmade when it suits all the time. Disabled people often feel bad enough about their situation as it is without requiring special measures to highlight them and their problems, whatever they may be. What takes more time, cost and effort: special measures to deal with a newly self created problem or just reinstate a system that worked perfectly well for years?

• Like 2